Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #531
Geoffrey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
There are enough reasons to hate on CF beyond their treatment of the Oly lifts. A lot of the people trying to preserve the "sanctity" of weightlifting don't even powerclean 100kg. Gimme a break.

30 reps for time of that--whatever you call it--ground to overhead snatch or C&J will do little for your Olympic lifting, but it's an excellent bit of conditioning that cannot be replicated by DBs or KBs. It's especially good for fighters.

This exercise isn't going to mess up your OL...unless 60kg is substantially heavy for you, in which case you don't need to be too critical.

Remember, this isn't being done for a sport. It's a competitive exercise exhibition. Nothing is being ruined. I can't stand what CF has become, but that video was impressive.
I pretty much agree. If that's your only exposure to the lifts or your snatch is 75kg, yeah, then doing 135#x30 is just terrible. But for adult males (who can power clean 100kg, by definition) shouldn't have trouble with 135#x30 snatched or C+Jed and it should be pretty okay conditioning. I do think it's bad to have this sort of stuff programmed at your typical affiliate where weak people do this as pretty much their only exposure to the olympic lifts, where's those two in conjunction make it a recipe for crapping up your shoulders or just not getting the right thing out of the workout.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #532
Garrett Smith

Put simply, that the Games have turned into a required-video qualifier means that everything has been corrupted, there is no pretense any longer. That video talking about waiting to take on all comers is a lie, the video gauntlet means that CFHQ can screen out any "non-community" people that threaten the crown...with no witnesses.

It's as simple as taking away a couple of reps from a person. Who's going to do extra reps when they don't feel they have to? The favorites, the big names, will get a free pass, and will only really have to shine at the big game. On top of that, what other sport gives past champs free tickets to the finals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Budding
But the key here is that we're not trying to convince anyone of anything.
Um...right, sure, got it. That's exactly what I get out of his posts and the linked video above.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #533
Bryan Kemper

Andrew,

Nice professional post. You really made your point. Keep up the good work.

Sarcasm meter: pegged.
Bryan Kemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #534
Justin Z. Smith

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/165...es-at-96.jhtml

RIP.

Here's to hoping CrossFit doesn't disgracefully take him as one of theirs and name a workout after him.
Justin Z. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #535
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #536
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #537
Justin Z. Smith

P90X vs CrossFit

http://www.google.com/trends?q=CrossFit%2C+P90X
Justin Z. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #538
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #539
Rocky Reid

I'm comment #118 on the main page today so not too sure how long it will stay up.

"So what are the times for the NFL lineman if HQ has them? Why not challenge Brian Clay to a decathlon? That's 10 events. HQ can even send their best representative. The answer is because Brian Clay would win every event. Professional athletes don't need to compete in exercise. They exercise to perform in their respective sport and to help avoid injuries. I remember when HQ was touting Lorenzo Neal using Crossfit in the NFL preseason and then he got cut. Never heard a word about Lorenzo Neal again. Same with BJ Penn. His gas tank sucked and Crossfit quit using him as an example. If HQ has the scientific evidence, why are they so determined not to reveal it? Why not stick to providing a great fitness resource and quit trying to impress everyone with how extreme your fitness routine is."
Rocky Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #540
Geoffrey Thompson

I think there's a good point right there that some people might not catch. Clay would win every event. He wouldn't just win on points, he would win every event based on what I saw from the CrossFit Games competitors' list. If he competed against all of them at once, not just any one of them.

Even if you added five more events, a powerlifting total and a weightlifting total, he would win all 15. Well, there might be a couple outliers that would challenge him on one or two of those.

Sure, he might lose a "CrossFit" competition. I'd put it at "probably" lose, even. There's a lot of weird stuff in there he wouldn't have much experience in and he might not know the right "pacing" of CrossFit events. Whatever. If you lose 15/15 traditional events, some of which very directly test aspects of "fitness", you have little right to claim to be fitter than this guy.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote