Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #601
Bryan Kemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
WOW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3clSDAHG5pU

Edit note:
Hamstring tears tomorrow!
Quit with the negativity. Why does everything have to be about impending injuries.

Your little crusade is just a bit more than annoying.
Bryan Kemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #602
Derek Weaver

Bryan,
You are welcome to find places elsewhere that will glorify instead of question the innate stupidity that is Crossfit programming.

Andrew is indeed doing good work. The rest of us join in when we have something to contribute, but for the most part, he is putting on a show that has not been equaled anywhere else when it comes to actual science. Of course, there is another group that has done good work, but with a different approach.

And I didn't see negativity in his post about the hamstring tears with tomorrow's WAD, I saw excitement. His comment even had an exclamation point!(!)

Instead of actual scientific proof we get non sensical ramblings from GG and Budding trying to justify the danger of the movements. What was it? "We're not going to NOT program something just because it can be dangerous". something to that effect?

I sincerely hope the tide turns and nobody gets hurt doing these workouts anymore, even if they do develop sub par fitness. Otherwise, this thread is going to get a little congested with all the chewed up products from the CF meat grinder.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:40 AM   #603
Pat McElhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
Quit with the negativity. Why does everything have to be about impending injuries.

Your little crusade is just a bit more than annoying.
Bryan,

There is enough cheerleading on the greatness of CrossFit. Andrew is actually giving a very good critique.

If you think the program is so great, how has it made you great? Please share with us real results from CrossFit.

I did the dot com for a year in 2007-2008, my deadlift went up, though I never deadlifted, bench went down (from 300 to 275), squat went down (405-365), mile run time went down 6:31 to 6:43, but my Fran time was in the 3s. If one really sits back and thinks about it, CF really does make us mediocre across broad time and modal domains.

I respectfully invite you to share what your actual lifts, run times, push-ups, sit-ups have been before and after CF.
Pat McElhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:53 AM
Rafael Susigan
This message has been deleted by Rafael Susigan.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 AM   #604
Bryan Kemper

Yes, Andrew does post a good deal about exercise physiology, ad naseum. So much that it is too much at times. The posts that are really non-productive are the LOLs, non-related you tube videos (what point was the poker video trying to make?), then all the dire impending injury prophesies. On that those points, he does need to give it a rest.

I understand that there is not much love for Crossfit on this thread. I do really believe that the methodology works, given that it is programmed in a proper manner. With that statement behind me, I do believe that mainpage programming can work for many individuals. As Rx'd for those with the proper experience or with proper scaling for others.

As to my background, I have done Crossfit WODs for just over two years now. My prior exercise experience is that of a non-athlete, USAF medical officer that had just enough of a high metabolism to fend off getting older until a few years ago. I never liked lifting weights because I had no direction other then men's health and fitness articles. Those would last about two weeks until I got bored with them. Going to the gym meant running on the treadmill for 45 minutes. My lowest PT score was an 85, never in danger of failing but nothing worthwhile.

Discovering a CF affiliate was the best thing that has happened to my fitness. Proper coaching on lifts, encouragement and planning has been tremendous. Since Dec 08, I have trained with CF Alaska programming, main page WODs for 6 months while deployed and now with Blackhills CF with an emphasis on Oly lifts/strength training. I have not sustained any training injuries that have kept me out of the gym with the only exception of learning the lesson that running shoes and deadlifts are not compatible. I am able to score in the high 90's on the AF PT test without specifically training for the PT test and could take the test at will.

My lifts:
BS: 225 to 335
DL: 275 to 455
OHS: 65 to 195x3 last week
Clean: 215
Snatch: 135 (still working form)
Press: 145 (low, but have prior collarbone Fx from 03 that effects me)
Bench: 225
USAF PT test: 83 to 98.3
Last half marathon: 1:55 (with only running 11.2 miles during the six weeks prior and doing a 22+ round Cindy later that afternoon)

My lifts may not be stellar, but for a 41 year old former band geek in HS/College that never played many sports, my form and depth is spot on and I continue to make improvements.

My goals are to be as fit as possible and as well rounded as I can. The ability to enter any contest that I care to ranging from 5Ks, half marathons, powerlifting meets, CF sectional comps, etc without really having to specialize in any one discipline. Does that mean that I will be really competitive in them? Most likely not, but they are fun and I like the atmosphere at events. I would like to train my Oly lifts more effectively and perhaps reach a National Master's qualifying total within the next year, but I don't want to give up the conditioning that I get from CF style WODs.

I like the information that I get from Catalyst Athletics and the Performance Menu, but if this thread were to wither and die, life would be better. Intellegent and thought out positive discussion on Met-con and strength training techniques, but much of the crap posts on this thread are just that.,..pure crap and worthless.

Last edited by Bryan Kemper : 01-31-2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Bryan Kemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #605
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Rafael Susigan
This message has been deleted by Rafael Susigan.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #606
Cyril Sack

dude, do you have some awesome job where you can just surf fitness websites all day? whoa.
Cyril Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #607
Matthew Fried

Wow. Wow. Andrew that 'Glassman's Inferno Post', while some people may say was counter-productive, or argumentative, or whatever, was one of the best descriptions of Crossfit I've ever. read. I was stage 3, I can attest.

And it was hysterical too! But that's what makes it great satire, because it's ALL TRUE (to one degree or another)

Andrew that was a literary work of art, seriously. That post needs to be read by all Crossfitters so they can take a step back & think.
Matthew Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #608
Ryan Lyman

For the record, i find AW posts, for the most part, informative, funny, and well researched, unlike some of the other stuff posted on 'other' sites. i also feel, that he should continue to do so, rather than 'give it a rest'

Bryan, now that you have posted your story, i/we may have a better understanding of your thoughts, and may (or may not) sympathize with you. you love CF, we get it. most of us here, at one point felt the same. and most of us got out for similar reasons (i don't like being hurt, overtrained and weak....hmmm who wants to be any of that), albeit with different goals/paths. some may argue that we don't have the balls to handle the metcons/WADs....whatever. i would rather be good at a real sport, rather than something that some dumb/fat-ass retard re-invented (circuits, but for time) that most people could care less about. you are more than welcome to continue doing CF, and most of us will not look down upon you - not that you may care. to each his own.....but:

“When you do Olympic lifting, you gotta do Olympic lifting. There is no substitute for Olympic Weightlifting.” – Tommy Kono

i can certainly testify to this, and i am sure others can as well. and i would rather take the word from olympic champion than a wannabe couch/scientist and his two retards, all of which have no clue what it takes to make someone elite.
Ryan Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #609
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril Sack View Post
dude, do you have some awesome job where you can just surf fitness websites all day? whoa.

Quote:
Wow. Wow. Andrew that 'Glassman's Inferno Post', while some people may say was counter-productive, or argumentative, or whatever, was one of the best descriptions of Crossfit I've ever. read. I was stage 3, I can attest.

And it was hysterical too! But that's what makes it great satire, because it's ALL TRUE (to one degree or another)

Andrew that was a literary work of art, seriously. That post needs to be read by all Crossfitters so they can take a step back & think.
LOL thanks, blame the comedian influence
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #610
raj rihal

I find AW's post funny and informative. And I can relate to Bryan's situation as well. I do think CF can bring a lot of good to peoples lives, especially if when it is transformative in such a positive way. Although a lot of that adaptation is because of the novice effect, its still a step into health and fitness. CF reminded me of practice, and I loved that.

The problem lies in that I think a lot of CFitters and 'Coaches' are a little fuzzy on the overall training concept - and how can you not be, if you don't have any sort of sport science background, and are sold information from HQ as quantifiable and scientifically documented. I think people are so awash in a wave of endorphins, sweat and self congratulations for finishing 250 24kg kettlebell swings they don't see precipice of injury and burnout right in front of them. I wish I had found AW's rantings a little earlier. I might have put the breaks on and not injured myself. So rock on AW. You're making my recovery way more entertaining. Bryan, I hear your love and wish you only the best. Make sure you listen to your body and don't get hurt!
raj rihal is offline   Reply With Quote