Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 12-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #61
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #62
Garrett Smith

Andrew,
To quote the CF RRG, it's just "lambs to the slaughter". One or more sacrificial lambs will have to happen during a CF event for people to really take notice of their compulsive overexercising (and "random" underpreparing) and the actual consequences. It's a horrible thing, but people only take notice of the big things.

IMO, partially a pendulum swing from so many people not exercising at all, over to exercising WAY too much.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #63
Derek Weaver

I saw that 24 WODs/24 Hours thing and thought "Wow, someone's going to die." Seriously, if someone actually finishes it, I would not be surprised by a hospital stay.

People talk about the potential health complications of marathon running, but I would run a marathon any day, with minimal training, before I would do that stupid ass "contest". At least I can walk a marathon and not be ridiculed so long as I finish. If I didn't vomit at least a few times in that 24 WOD thing, I may be excommunicated.

And when is peer review a concept to be considered hilarious? We're not talking about periodized calf and ab training here.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #64
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #65
Derek Weaver

By functional, do you mean being able to walk?

I'll be watching to see how this works out, but it'll be more like a morbid curiousity. Like when you stop to watch a train wreck.

Doesn't it stand to reason that short term equalization won't be possible for this? Not without actual training for the "event"?

This kind of idea may be the first time someone enters true over training, requiring weeks or months to recover, in only one day.

Like was noted earlier, 8 wods in two days of Games competition crushed the field. 24 wods in one day, even scaled should do much worse. As Garrett said, it's the bad stuff that gets attention.

You would think that when that Navy guy was disabled it would have spurred change. Instead it spurred the RRG, and the ultimate in low brow, a named workout.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #66
Emily Mattes

At its very worst (i.e. the ad copy coming from HQ), Crossfit is the fitness version of Fight Club, drawing on the subconscious dissatisfaction of the suburban masses and promising them authenticity in return for absolute devotion.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #67
Brian DeGennaro

Is Castro Brad Pitt/alter ego of Glassman then?
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:13 AM   #68
James Evans

Sadly it's more Never Back Down than Fight Club.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #69
Allen Yeh

Moved it because this thread really has nothing to do with fitness/gpp and training.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #70
Kelly White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Birch View Post
Watching half the people in my commercial gym doing a million isolations or sitting on the crosstrainer for an hour makes me physically ill and I'd much rather see people doing a crossfit style workout.... the lesser of two evils So as much as they are lying about "elite" training systems, at the end of the day most people that start doing it have no intention of being elite they just want to look better, so at least they arn't a complete waste of space cluttering up a globo gym.
I hear you, but I have to disagree with this point;

My globo gym has one platform with a power rack, and two squat racks. This area used do be void of life except for the 3 or so members who actually used barbells, and the 10 minute influx of the arm curl pumping crowd.

Now my tiny corner is always busy these days with a new vibram footed crowd heaving wicked overhead squats and power snatches with a dime and a nickle.

One guy last week was doing overhead quarter squats with 95lbs (he is the heavy hitter of the crowd) with his hands about two feet apart (I thought he was going to press). He almost fell over on each rep, then dumped the (iron) weights forward into the back legs of the rack. Awsome.

I long for the days of cable rows and drop sets in the smith machine.
Kelly White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Andrew Wilson
This message has been deleted by Andrew Wilson.