Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Ryne Clos

Default Ryne's Lifting Log

I will start by posting a little about me:

I am 25 and have lifted intermittently since I was 14. I did not do squats until college and have little experience with the clean and jerk and none with the snatch. I played Division 3 (American) football my freshman year (suffered a shoulder injury) and have not done the Oly lifts since. I recently renewed my dedication to weightlifting, with a heavy focus on the squat, clean and jerk, and other core lifts that this site focuses upon. Linear progression seems to still work for me for now, though it is definitely slowing on the bench and overhead press (and basically any upper body lift). In terms of other athletic enterprises, I play too much basketball, mountain bike, snowboard, soccer, backpack, and have recently taken up parkour. Though I have time to dedicate to lifting, I have a strange schedule because I am currently embroiled in the second year of a Ph.D. program here in South Bend.

My goals, in terms of targeted maxes on the major lifts:
Back Squat - currently 325, I want 375
Deadlift - currently 300, want 400 - only 300 now mostly because of technique
OHP - currently 150, want 185
Bench - currently 245, want 275 - where my progress is slowest
C&J - currently 190, want 235 - could get here with only technique improvements
Snatch - currently 120, want 185 - I'm just now learning this lift
I also have a goal for deadhang pull-ups, which are essential for parkour: I currently can do 5 or maybe 6 and I want to do 15 without leaving the bar.

My biggest deficiencies right now are technique on deadlift and Oly lifts and grip strength. I am a swift learner and feel confident that I will work these out. My grip strength will improve rapidly, as I grew up on a farm and have worked construction, so that strength is there, but dormant.

One final note: I do not have consistent access to a weight room until January, so I will not have weights-associated exercise on here for a while.
Ryne Clos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Ryne Clos

Default Workouts for 11, 12, and 13 Dec 2010

For Friday: I did 10x10, with very short rest, push-up circuit. I did 30 normal push-ups, 30 clapping push-ups, 30 with staggered hands (one or both under my hip), and 10 with a diamond/close stance.

For Saturday, I did a 2 round jump-heavy bodyweight circuit (not my typical workout): 10 Box Jumps (28in/70cm target); 4 Handstand Push-Ups, 8 Broad Jumps (8ft minimum); 20 Scissor Kicks; 10 Lateral Hops; 20 Crunches; 10 1-footed Vertical Jumps (5 each leg); 14 Pistols (7 each leg); 8 1-footed Double Jumps (4 each); 30 Side Crunches (15 each side). In between rounds, I did 60 sec planks (front and both sides).
I didn't time this, but probably should have, looking back

For Sunday: Again, a bodyweight-focused workout: 20 Back Extensions, 100 BW Squats, 30 Broad Jump Burpees (7ft minimum), 20 Vertical Jumps, 50 Crunches + Leg Lifts (not quite a Jack Knife), 10 Handstand Push-Ups, 40 Push-Ups, and 20 Box Jumps (same 28in/70cm target).
And again, I didn't keep the time, but this really worked me, especially since I am sore from yesterday - the planks fried my core.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
Ryne Clos

Default General Workout Template for January and Beyond

I have been working on my general weightlifting/workout plan for next semester (I have one 8 week cycle thoroughly planned in every detail) and have a general template, for anyone interested:

Monday: Heavy Lifting, focused on Clean, Black Squat, Bench, and Overhead Press (I can and have handled this volume for years - I am young), plus some machine rowing (I will alternate between doing 5K and collected sprints on the C2 - I kill the 5K for someone who has never rowed)

Tuesday: No Lifting, except for light DB Oly work to help with technique and foot placement. I will focus on doing skill work for Parkour on these days: vaults, wall climbs, and balance drills, with perhaps some light metcon work later in the cycle. I will also either play basketball or do short sprints and shuttle work.

Wednesday: Lifting today, focused on doing Snatch and Clean, but with a ton of pullup stuff - deadhang max reps, working on kip techniques, jumping pullups, and static holds. I have programmed overhead Oly stuff - split jerks, snatch balance, a little push press. I will also do speed reps of bench press this day, a la Westside method, as that is the one lift where linear progression seems unlikely. Wednesday is a long sprint day - lots of 200m, 400m, and occasional 800m.

Thursday: This is an off day. I will perhaps play basketball, but that is it.

Friday: Last lifting day of the week. The focus is Snatch and Deadlift, but I have incline bench and overhead/front squat figured in here as well. Running-wise, it will be another long sprint day, with a little less volume than Wednesday.

Saturday: My work here will be jump-intensive metcons. These really help me recover, as well as improve my strength, power, stamina, and coordination. I will mix in some BW exercises as well, like pistols, push-ups, and handstand push-ups, but the focus is on the infinite variety of jumps that I can pull off in my living room. Running for today will consist of a longer, slower effort, as I run sporadic 5K charity events and don't want to look too bad.

Sunday: Total Rest Day - not even basketball

I have core work programmed into each day as well, but didn't mention it above as it is more randomized.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Ryne Clos

Tuesday, 14 Dec - Rest Day
Old 12-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Ryne Clos

Wednesday, 15 Dec - still very sore and got too little sleep, so another rest day. I will make up for it with more intensity tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Ryne Clos

Back to work today:

30 Crunches+30 Scissor Kick superset
30 Back Extensions
20 Lateral Leg Raises (per leg)

20 Clapping Push-Ups
30 Inverted Rows
20 Pistol Jumps (10 per leg)
10 Handstand Push-Ups
20 1-Foot Lateral Hops (5 per leg per direction)
Old 12-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Ryne Clos

Too little sleep and lots of travel today, but:

2x20 Decline Push-Ups (feet elevated)
3x10 Leg Raises (not hanging - using stairs)
1x50 Squats
1x20 Side Crunches (20 per side)
10 Supermans
Handstand Practice (against closet door)
L-Sit Practice (have a lot of practice to do here)
Old 12-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Ryne Clos

I've had a terrible two-day headache, but finally got on top of it - will work out again tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Ryne Clos

Finally made my return to the weight room, but the rust showed a little:

Power Clean, 135 x 3
Power Clean & Jerk [PC&J], 155 x 2, 175 x 2
Clean Pull (from floor), 205 x 3 x 2
PC&J, 185 x 1, 190 x 2

Bench, 5 Sets, best were 225 x 4 and 245 x 1
Overhead Press [OHP], 4 Sets, topped out at 145
DB Chainsaw Row, 6 x 3 at 65 lbs
BB Curl, 6 x 3 at 70 lbs
DB Tri Extension, 6 x 3 at 60-75 lbs

2 Supersets of Core Work:
10 Hanging Leg Tucks (shortened HLR)
10 Leg Raises
15 Rever Hypers
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Ryne Clos

2 bad sets of Power Snatch - I think I will cancel this lift from my program for now, because I really don't like it

Back Squat - 135 x 6, 215 x 6, 275 x 4, 295 x 3, 300 x 3
Good Morning - 135 x 6, 165 x 6 x 2

This totally fried my legs since I have been away from the weights for about 6 weeks. My hamstrings are still wrecked and its been 6 hours. I was going to do some DB Step-Ups and some DB Upper Body work, but I was just toasted.