Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default Adjusting your "set-point" for weight

I'm back up over 195 after 3 months of 5/3/1 and increasing my carb intake. Over the summer I was down to a 184 and I felt pretty good but my lifts suffered because my training was different and was conditioning focused. This is the heaviest I have been in over 2.5 years since before leaving for Afghanistan. I gained some weight upon my return home last January but lost it pretty quickly.

Anyway so enough background here is the thing. I want to get below and stay below 185 indefinitely. My sleep apnea gets worse as I get heavier and I refuse to be tied to a CPAP machine for the rest of my sleeping life. Has anyone else had success in keeping their lifts up while changing the "set point" of their BW?

I'd prefer not to be on a low-carb diet forever as I do enjoy fruit and sweet potatos...etc so I'm guessing I would have to diet down to 170 that way when i dont want to be as strict I afford to get up to 185? I'm willing to field any ideas but this isn't really just "fat loss" geared but rather future health geared I guess and fatloss is a part of it due to the sleep apnea.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Steve Shafley

Look into the carb back loading style of eating Allen. Might be appropriate
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Took a quick look at google, do you mean the carb back loading recommended at dangerouslyhardcore?

Thanks.

BTW I've been keeping up with your gym on FB, looks great.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Steve Shafley

Yeah. It might be have the flexibility you need. There are some articles on eliteftsnthat explain it pretty well, too
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Thanks, been reading some stuff seems interesting.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I'm back up over 195 after 3 months of 5/3/1 and increasing my carb intake. Over the summer I was down to a 184 and I felt pretty good but my lifts suffered because my training was different and was conditioning focused. This is the heaviest I have been in over 2.5 years since before leaving for Afghanistan. I gained some weight upon my return home last January but lost it pretty quickly.

Anyway so enough background here is the thing. I want to get below and stay below 185 indefinitely. My sleep apnea gets worse as I get heavier and I refuse to be tied to a CPAP machine for the rest of my sleeping life. Has anyone else had success in keeping their lifts up while changing the "set point" of their BW?
A lot depends on how much weight you need to lose, how fast you want to lose it, and your training program, but it's almost inevitable that you'll lose some lean mass and strength while losing weight. However, this can be minimised to some degree by reducing your intake of fat, added sugars and alcohol while maintaining a fairly high complex carbohydrate intake as this will allow you to continue training at a fairly high intensity while sparing protein.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet: Weight loss.

Quote:
I'd prefer not to be on a low-carb diet forever as I do enjoy fruit and sweet potatos...etc so I'm guessing I would have to diet down to 170 that way when i dont want to be as strict I afford to get up to 185? I'm willing to field any ideas but this isn't really just "fat loss" geared but rather future health geared I guess and fatloss is a part of it due to the sleep apnea.
Losing weight is easy - eat less, exercise more. The hard part is keeping the weight off over the long term, and for this I recommend following Jeff Novick RD's guidelines on calorie density. You may also find it helpfull to read the research findings of the National Weight Control Registry.

Jeffnovickrd.com - A Common Sense Approach To Sound Nutrition.

Jeffnovickrd.com - Maximizing Weight Loss: How To Fine Tune Calorie Density.

A Comparison of Low-Carbohydrate vs. High-Carbohydrate Diets: Energy Restriction, Nutrient Quality and Correlation to Body Mass Index.

NWCR - Research Findings.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote