Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Elliot Royce

Default Right Level of Training

I was speaking to my doctor today who has a lot of athletes for clients and he vehemently said that I shouldn't play hockey and do O lifting in the same day. My initial reaction was to push back but when I think how much each takes out of me, I'm wondering whether he's right. He says that it will just limit gains and lead to exhaustion and immune system suppression.

I am injury prone and when I get a cold, which is often, it stays around for ever. At 45 years old, it does take time to recover.

Thoughts?
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Health before anything else. All those go hard 100% of the time people....burn out early and have serious health issues. I personally think you are doing way too much....and you should be able to tell by how your body is responding. Signs of overtraining are injuries, under recovery, pain, sickness, etc. As I get older I realize that everything in moderation.....too much stress...and the body will crack.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Elliot Royce

I'll take that as official permission to goof off. Amazing what age does. My 14 year old son had a two hour bantam practice where they did herbies because they lost two games in a row then came to play 3 on 3 with me for an hour. No sign of soreness or pain.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Kids are not human....till they hit 30...
Old 03-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Neal Winkler

If you're getting colds all the time then you are definately doing something wrong. How often do you play hockey and o-lift? Do you do any other training? Remember, exercise isn't the only stress. There's job stress, and family stress, or any other type of other personal life stress. Then you'll compound things with poor nutrition and sleep.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:58 AM   #6
Rick Deckart
Banned

Elliot,

in my humble opinion you are doing way too much. Playing hockey and doing the Olympic lifts the same day, is probably fine when you can cope with it. But look at your workout log, you are running a SS in parallel and you are doing the rehab squat program as well. Especially the latter is a lot more volume than you would think. You should calculate your average tonnage (including the warmup sets) of your sessions to keep track of the total system load.
It may be more than your current abilities allow.

If you are not feeling well, have colds which take forever, or persistent soreness, something is not right. A certain timespan of over-reaching can be used for good, if it is followed by a certain time span of tapering, but what you do (no offense) looks more like a good recipe for over-training (given your medical conditions, your age and your Oly novice status). And over-training is good for nothing---except perhaps that your body in it's eminent wiseness will take care that you get the (BTW much longer than necessary) break you need.

Make yourself a list of your priorities, if you had to choose, what would it be Hockey or Oly, or S&C? Why do you want to do the Oly, is it for fun or to support your hockey game? Have a two or four week break of the Oly lifts and see what it does to your health/hockey etc. If you get better during the break the Oly obviously don't help your hockey at least in it's current dosage.

BTW if you are serious with the Oly lifts, given your age, I would abstain from PR attempts for a while, do some serious technique work (which is demanding enough) in the first year.

Take care,

Peter
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Check out this article by Mike Boyle, some really insightful stuff here:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1475529

Stress isn't always negative.

Positive stress, negative stress are added up like absolute values, they don't (unfortunately) cancel each other out.

If your injury prone and get colds all the time that is definitely an indication of something going on. Heck but what do I know I'm only 27!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Elliot Royce

Thanks guys, very supportive and helpful.