Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Cain Morano

Pirate yell...YYYYYAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR! Prowlers are awesome!
Cain Morano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Cain Morano

Default Week 6

Week 6 was pleasant. I was fizzling out from the boredom of snatch work and this was the first week where cleans were introduced and the snatch work was dialed down. This was also the deload cycle of the Wendler 5/3/1 - 5 reps at 40,50, and 60%. It was an easy week.

My technique still needs lots of work, I think I need to go super basic and just do foot position drills for a billion reps until my feet hit the same exact spots no matter how tired I am or how hard I pull.

I make this analogy about the technique cycle: this program is like examining an old mechanical device of some kind, something with lots of moving parts, caked in rust, dirt, and grease. I took the machine apart, I knocked off the cakes of dirt and the sheets of rust. I degreased the sliding points, joints, and pivots. Then I polished and lubed each part and re assembled the machine. The machine is working a little better, a little smoother, definitely faster, more reliably, and more powerfully - but I haven't fixed it.

I merely made it possible to see each moving part and the out-of-tolerance behavior of their movements, which will help a trained mechanic to repair it.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Cain Morano

Default Week 7

Ah, glorious vacation. My wife and I walked all over the ancient city, visited monuments, took pictures, drank lots of wine, ate lots of cheese, and even went Yogging along the Tiber river once - with 4x100 sprints...and some push ups...and some air squats. I stretched everyday. BUT other than that it was PURE vacation. My shoulder stopped hurting, everything stopped aching, got great sleep, ate great food, I felt great!
Old 02-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
Cain Morano

Default Week 8

This was a tough week. I started out with a fresh shoulder on Monday morning, and by Monday night it was shot. The WOD was Bench 3RM - my old 1RM at 225 is now my 3. THAT felt awesome! It was one of those lifts where it's total fight on the good side of almost failing, the bar was moving slow but moving! And that made my shoulder hurt again. I had good form, I use very strict powerlifting bench press form, but I pushed it sooo hard. Then that night I did the extra curricular technique and strength work. It was week 8 out of the technique cycle, plus week 1 of a new 5/3/1 cycle, press and back squat.

Day 2's 5/3/1 lift was snatch balance, which I dumped on rep 4 of the last set. Whatevies...

Day 3 I added back squat 3x5 across to aid my weak squats. That rest day is gone.

Day 4 brought another max effort WOD, 3RM deadlift. I got 405. And repeated my 1RM at 415.

Day 5 we did a strongman WOD (zercher carries, dips, log presses, tire drag, tire flip), followed by a Tabata warm up that my buddy and I modified. Instead of doing the deadlift-hang clean-push press-thruster barbell complex through a Tabata cycle, we loaded 135 and did deadlift-hang clean-push press-push jerk for 8 sets, once every thirty seconds (on the 'go' of the 20s work segment of Tabatas). Then we modified the gym daily WOD by adding weighted vest and increasing the KB weight.

Day 6 we did the CF football WOD, as posted for 2/26/11.

I like the new phase of technique work, concentrating on the cleans. THAT is fun. I got 3 of 4 days in, Monday I will start Week 9.

I missed the last day of technique work, adding in extra strength work. I feel good, minus the tight shoulder, the extra volume isn't killing me. I ramped up smartly. I still haven't gotten the third day of back squats, speed day. I have one 5/3/1 back squat day, one 3x5 across LP day, and one DE day. I think my squats are super weak, I am 6 feet, 200 pounds, and I squat 285 once. My goal is to do work above 300 - meaning multiple reps (3 would be fine) at any weight from 300 up. This is my goal to reach by the beginning of the next 12 week cycle out of Greg Everett's book, the S&P dev cycle.

I have come to realize that this technique program as a very involved warm up for my strength training. This does not detract from its value in any way, I really dig this program.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
Cain Morano

Default Commentary to viewers

I noticed that my thread has a relatively large number of hits. It was at 1500+ views on 2/26/11. I am assuming this is because people want to know what the program is all about done right out of the book. Here are some 'collected thoughts'...

(Since I don't have a lifting coach to correct me on the finer points) I make this analogy about the technique cycle: this program is like examining an old mechanical device of some kind, something with lots of moving parts, caked in rust, dirt, and grease. I took the machine apart, I knocked off the cakes of dirt and the sheets of rust. I degreased the sliding points, joints, and pivots. Then I polished and lubed each part and re assembled the machine. The machine is working a little better, a little smoother, definitely faster, more reliably, and more powerfully - but I haven't fixed it. I merely made it possible to see each moving part and the out-of-tolerance behavior of their movements, which will help a trained mechanic to repair it.

In corresponding with another local lifting club, it seems this program-in an abbreviated form-is also useful as a movement assessment! Great idea!

If you are trained already, I recommend this program since it covers so many different assistance lifts. If you are really digging for technical perfection, maybe look for the lifts that aren't included and add those too. This program addresses basic pulling, foot transition, racking, and squatting. There is no such thing as too much training in the fundamentals - there are only fundamentals. Maybe consider a permutation of this program if you are stuck or something.

If you are already in the midst of strength training, this program can be used as a very long warm up.

If you have an idea about your weaknesses, or need additional volume, extra conditioning, or something else then add it in! Layer appropriately, don't kill yourself, and don't work against yourself. I only had a daily CF WOD. Then I added the technique cycle, then I added one 5/3/1 lift per day, then I added strongman and assistance work, then I added additional squat work. Just make sure you give yourself time to adjust and monitor yourself. The overtraining caveat remains in effect - eat, sleep, hydrate, stretch!

It works! Watch your PRs improve and listen to feedback from others. If you do this right your pace, power, range of motion, and lifts overall will improve because of the added volume and the improvement in efficiency based on technique.

It is fun. In an earlier post I asked Greg Everett about the rep schemes and he mentioned that this wasn't the most exciting program. In it's prescribed form, I can understand that. Don't get discouraged, understand it for its purpose in the macrocycle. Know why you are doing this program and what sort of training will come afterwards.

My advice to make this work:
-Focus! Each repetition must be deliberate, every mistake must be revealed
-Be consistent in effort and attendance
-Warm-up: no time to warm up means no time to work out
-Make it your own: apply your goals and creative problem solving to the template
-Don't go heavy: I kept my weights 40-55%, I think for some lifts this was too heavy. I had to dial it down (a lot in some cases). The program is about perfecting technique, which can't be done at high weight.
-Video record and assess your lifts after certain sets (first, middle, second to last, last)
-Be honest with yourself about your technique

I think that's it for now. If anyone has specific questions, I'd like to field them. If anyone has suggestion to help me along, I'd like to hear them.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
Cain Morano

Default Week 9

Lots of cleans this week! All the technique work plus...

5/3/1 press
DE back squats
5/3/1 power clean

DE deadlift
3x5 across back squat

5/3/1 snatch balance
5/3/1 back squat
DE press (actually this DE press was combined with the technique power cleans, I did 3 PC into 3 press at 95# on the minute...some varieTAY...Greg was right, this shit gets boring!)

..plus two WODs
100KB swings, 18#/hand - 4:52
2k row 7:44, 100 jump rope+10 sit ups 5+35

Then finished with:
Technique work as prescribed plus 5/3/1 dead lift. On my last set, I got 10 reps at 337.5#.

I am very happy with my times and endurance lately. I'm not really focusing on that, but somehow I can still keep up. I think the strength training is helping. I am feeling good! I am changing my routine to every other day for at least another week to see how that feels. I have this volume and intensity I have slowly layered on, I felt like rest every other day this week and that worked out well. It just feels odd, too symmetrical. Before this week I was doing 2 days on, 1 day off, 3 days on, 1 day off.

Back to writing my law paper now, I am writing about current legal developments in biotechnology. Anyone ever take a graduate business law class? I have to read these supreme court decisions. I make this analogy: reading these decisions is like taking a half a sleeping pill before watching a riveting conspiracy movie.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
Keith Miller

[quote=Cain Morano;87801Back to writing my law paper now, I am writing about current legal developments in biotechnology. Anyone ever take a graduate business law class? I have to read these supreme court decisions. I make this analogy: reading these decisions is like taking a half a sleeping pill before watching a riveting conspiracy movie.[/QUOTE]

Well, I never took a graduate business law class, but I did just graduate law school. Reading those opinions suck, but that's how you learn the law!! Good luck with classes!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #18
Cain Morano

Default Week 10 delayed

During week 9, I tried something different. I rested every other day. I lifted Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Then I rested on Monday and Tuesday, which worked out because I was busy with homework. I was adequately rested for each session, but I liked the stress better of 2 on, 1 off, 3 on, 1 off. It's a schedule that's easier to keep. And the last day is a WOD anyway. I'm going back to this schedule.

At the end of week 9, for the set of power cleans, I tried the variables from the Prilepin table - 70% 1RM for 6 sets of 4. That was good, it was work but not crushing.

Week 10 was supposed to start this week. I did WODs on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Wednesday was 1RM Jerk. I put up 245 (pounds! sorry, everything I'm doing is in pounds - I should have specified early). The last time I tried a 1RM jerk was sometime last summer or fall and it was 205 - so a 40# PR, but of course, I am novice and I haven't tested it in several months. Thursday's WOD was a BW metcon, I needed the cardio. Tonight we did March 1 CF Football WOD, 3 power cleans at 65%, 6 toe to bar, AMRAP 8 minutes. I did awful, power cleans were cake, my toe to bar is crap.

My shoulder and chest still ache a bit on one side. Fortunately it's only on the bench press and push ups and not overhead that I am affected. I will rest until Monday then start Week 10 with zeal.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #19
Cain Morano

Default The Snatch Balance

Week 10 is on.

What I learned about the snatch balance:

It is a lot easier to catch the snatch balance all the way at the bottom of the squat (when the weights get heavy or when tired) than it is to catch it half way down and then finish. If you catch it above parallel then you have to do all the reactive work (eccentrically decelerate, isometrically stabilize, concentrically accelerate the mass). If you catch it at the bottom the only work is the dive down and the drive upward. So just ride that sucker all the way down and stick the landing, stabilize, and come up.

To get this down requires two things:
1) Confidence! Trust the process. Be comfortable under the bar.
2) Perfect position. You and the bar have to move in a straight line, with a perfect overhead position. Let it drive you straight down like a nail and trust your explosive landing sticking skills.

This leads me to other things I learned about the snatch balance. There are two ways to do them. One is to perform the snatch balance as a jerk from behind the neck, meaning a hard dip and drive to move the bar as high as possible. This means that your final extension under the bar is more likely to land you above parallel, and that could mean more work. However, this method is better for bigger weight. The other method is to use barely a twitch or shallow dip and drive to unload the bar enough to hit that extension like a champ. We tried this and we noticed the difference was several inches to a foot (or more) between the two methods. I like the 'unloading twitch' method because then most of my work is going into the dive and drive up, and it seems more like an exercise that has snatch carryover than a jerk from behind the neck.

So the next time you are doing snatch balances and notice that your catch is getting higher as you get tired (or the weights are getting bigger), suck it up and bury yourself deep under the bar. It will be better for your strength, technique, and confidence.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
Cain Morano

Default Week 10 Complete

Virtually, anyway. Tomorrow I will finish the last day of Week 10 but I wanted to post some remarks now.

I am a clumsy turd on my first few sets of jerk exercises! I really need a better way to warm up, including a mental ritual, to get me on a better level. Aside from that, these tall jerk exercises are interesting. I've never done these before. They are a bit awkward at first. This was a good week for drilling foot position on the split, hip tilt, and scapular retraction. Yes, all postural distortions come out in the wash with week 10 drills.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't fully activated from the warm up on through though. Maybe a lack of quality sleep and veggies...The technique work was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Then the session concluded with speed sets of press, triples. Then 5/3/1 power cleans, got 8 at 180. I was lazy. I wasn't even trying to catch the weight at anything lower than standing, which almost cause me to hurt my elbows and wrists. But I was impressed with myself that I was just 'standing there' and still catching cleans. Again, not enough warm up to get me jazzed and moving. After power clean, I finished the workout with 3x5 back squats at 215 (warm up sets before hand). The extra squat work goes a long way in all movements.

From now in, if exercising it is a workout, if training it is a session. I like that use of language. O yeah, I signed up for the Capital City Open. I won't alter my program much. It's in three weeks from today, so I'll finish out this 12 week technique program with a week left before the meet. The week before the meet I will lighten up the WODs, practice near max classic lifts before Wednesday, and rehearse the meet game plan. For the state meet I will peak using a program.

My goal for the meet is to snatch 165 and clean and jerk 215. So kilos... what is that... 75 kilos and 97.7 kilos rounded to whatever the plates would be. At least a 170 total. I will update these numbers later towards the meet. This is my first meet, and accordingly my other goal is to catch the flow of an oly meet and also to make all of my lifts. I am applying the same strategy here as I did to my first PL meet - check it out and make all lifts with good technique.