Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #41
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
John Thomas
This message has been deleted by John Thomas.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #42
raj rihal

Coming off a @fit induced injury, I feel like I need to understand how I got here, and how to avoid getting here in the future. So I feel like this is the right thread to pose additional questions that contribte to injury (at least mine anyway).

From what I understand, there is no established, published methodology that is used to design programming? Rather it is a loose guideline with which individual affiliate owners can come up with workouts based on Glassmans ideas about fitness? Is that about right?

Is there a "programming for @fit handbook?" Is it proprietary info only available at a certification or thru the journal? Could an affliate owner maybe shed some light on what they are taught in a level 1 cert regarding program design and exercise selection? In addition what is the rational behind particular exercise choices in a WOD? Id like to know how WODs are conceived in the greater context of a @fit training cycle. Is there a cycle?

If there is indeed only a loose guideline, HQ is selling them for 1K a pop, with no liability via affiliation rather than franchise.

i should have done this due diligence months ago...
raj rihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #43
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Thomas View Post
This is Glassman's explanation of the "Theoretical Template" pdf.

"This may have been the most confusing and the most useful tool I've created.

This is not how we produce the WOD, but it will produce workouts indistinguishable from those produces by or more intuitive process. Only the pattern of multiple workouts reveals the use of an algorithm.

Ideally the template would be used as training wheels to get an athlete or trainer to learn to program."
Translation:
"We don't know what you're doing. Please workout until you vomit, tear your hands or otherwise get hurt and then brag about it. It's good for our image. Is it almost happy hour?"
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #44
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj rihal View Post
Coming off a @fit induced injury, I feel like I need to understand how I got here, and how to avoid getting here in the future. So I feel like this is the right thread to pose additional questions that contribte to injury (at least mine anyway).

From what I understand, there is no established, published methodology that is used to design programming? Rather it is a loose guideline with which individual affiliate owners can come up with workouts based on Glassmans ideas about fitness? Is that about right?

Is there a "programming for @fit handbook?" Is it proprietary info only available at a certification or thru the journal? Could an affliate owner maybe shed some light on what they are taught in a level 1 cert regarding program design and exercise selection? In addition what is the rational behind particular exercise choices in a WOD? Id like to know how WODs are conceived in the greater context of a @fit training cycle. Is there a cycle?

If there is indeed only a loose guideline, HQ is selling them for 1K a pop, with no liability via affiliation rather than franchise.

i should have done this due diligence months ago...
Raj.

There is no real rationale for programming when it comes to CF. At the level 1 cert, at least what it was before the ANSI certification, they go over the assertion that CF is "Sport", the 9 movements that make up CF, 20% slop, the Zone.

In a nutshell, that is really all it is. Oh, and they try and make you throw up a few times throughout the weekend. From there, they recommended training your neighbor with a broomstick before opening your own affiliate.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Andrew Wilson
This message has been deleted by Andrew Wilson.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #45
raj rihal

I should just stop trying to find out more. It just makes me more and more angry. @f is certifying hundreds of trainers to OPEN GYMS with no practical sense of programming? I should have stuck with starting strength.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #46
sarena kopciel

OK so I am bad at understanding programming. I see this as some WODs for the week. What are your thoughts? Obviously these are not meant to be done all in one day!

Workout #1
25 minute AMRAP
Complete 3 rounds of "Cindy"
5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 air squats
Then 10 hang squat cleans

Workout #2
Complete 5 rounds of:
1 minute at each station
Prowler suicides
Air squats
KBS
Rest 2 minutes after completion of each round

Workout #3
Complete the following:
Pull ups/ jump lunges/ push ups
21/18/15/12/9/6/3 reps scheme
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #47
Derek Weaver

Sarena,
First, it is good to see you around a bit. I saw Jay Cohen post the other day, and now you. Good to see some of the people from a couple years back still pop in now and then.

Second, I wouldn't go so far to think that may not be for one "micro cycle". There are some affiliates that really are destroying their clients with "Games Programming" to help get them ready for... the Games.

May I ask where you got those "WODs"?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Andrew Wilson
This message has been deleted by Andrew Wilson.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #48
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Sarena,
First, it is good to see you around a bit. I saw Jay Cohen post the other day, and now you. Good to see some of the people from a couple years back still pop in now and then.

Second, I wouldn't go so far to think that may not be for one "micro cycle". There are some affiliates that really are destroying their clients with "Games Programming" to help get them ready for... the Games.

May I ask where you got those "WODs"?
hey Derek, I have been here for a while now. I am lifting 2-3x week and then doing general conditioning and stuff with a trainer in my globo gym that has CF and other training along with a degree in exercise science. This was from his site/blog. How do these workouts rate?
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
John Thomas
This message has been deleted by John Thomas.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #49
raj rihal

"when you're programming you wanna pay attention to the difference between newness novelty and familiarity. Between hitting something creatively not known to going back to something that you know. Last cycle we had a lot of thinking going on..alot of things that you weren't sure about that you hadn't done before......so the other thing to is that there is no need to create something new when something old or something previous is already there and already does the job"

"but the crossfit total is a great test of how's it goin? how you doin?"

now I understand where all the @fit bashing comes from.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #50
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Butler View Post
At the very least a plan that isn't designed to wreak havoc on the body.

@ Mtn Athlete - There is no shortage of injury scuttlebutt surrounding that facility in these parts.
I'm interested in this - are people getting smashed by MA? I've seen a few barbed comments in Shaul's direction recently.

One side of his stuff which I think is useful is the inclusion of prehab work/stretches etc in supersets with strength movements:

1a Snatch
1b Stretch
1c Shoulder mobility

This is something Cressey favours too but I doubt they push the speed of the sets at CP quite the way MA will do.