Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #11
Patrick Otis

So this was a horrible week. Back squat had to be scaled down to 240 ( was 265) I felt exhausted all the way through the workouts. Almost like I needed a nap? So i have come to conclusion that IF+SS no good for this guy.So I will eliminate the IF part and see what the deal is. I will however role 2100 on non training days and 2400 caliores on training days. thoughts thanks again Pat
Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
John Alston

Bigger swings. 3k and 2k. 2100 and 2400 are too close.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
Patrick Otis

Will give it a shot. 2k on non ss training days an 3k on training days.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
John Alston

OK, look, I think bigger swings are worth it b/c the point of calorie cycling is to alternate the hormonal environments needed for losing fat with gaining muscle. Leangains is a good plan for this, but even TNation is now getting on with IF like planning with their pulse fast/feast series.
But all this is a lot... look, i am slightly taller/bigger and a year older than you and have met some of your goals - I recently found success training at noon, fasted, with the 10g BCAA kind of Leangains plan but more athletic liftin - I bring this up b/c you said something about not getting bigger. I was lofting bigger weights but my body weight wasn't changing, and slowly the look was working - pants fitted looser in the right places, people said I looked strong. It all worked until I broke my ankle playing bball.... (there's a lesson there).
So getting stronger at the same weight can happen, it seems to be slow though, and you seem to do a lot of activity.
Start by eliminating non lifting training if you can and see what you can do from there. Prioritize. You mentioned twice in this thread instances of under performing in strength. So back off the other shit and focus for a bit. Prioritize. My 2 cents.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Bigger swings. 3k and 2k. 2100 and 2400 are too close.
If your maintenance is 2400, 2100 on non-workout days + 2400 on workout days is an average deficit of 180 calories. You can't do SS on a caloric deficit. Can't be done (unless you have a lot of fat mass to burn to make up the difference). Go for recomp at the same BW (thus my recommendation of 2100 and 2800 or 2k and 3k as John suggests).

Also, the weight jumps programmed in SS are based on overfeeding. Start deliberately lighter and add weight deliberately more slowly if you are going for recomp. Your first week of workouts should be frustratingly easy.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
Patrick Otis

Thank you all for the advice. It is all very valid. I am the first to admit I do a lot of extras. Like running, rowing and other non mentioned stuff. I plan to pick this all back up in approx 2 months ( after PRT) . Where I can dedicate time for proper priotization.

thanks again Pat