Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Thomas Schneitter

Default Newbie needs help with bodyweight routine

I am writing this note to get feedback from others before I proceed with a change in my programming. I have been using Simplefit's site as a resource for my training for several weeks and have advanced to LEvel 2. I am pleased with the benefits I have received from the workouts but my goals have changed since I began Simplefit. Initially, I wanted the across the board gains of Simplefit. Now I want to work towards becoming able to do 20 Pull-ups, 50 pushups, 20 Dips and 50 air squats as quickly as possible.
My plan is to GTG the Pushups and Squats every other day. And on the other day address the Dips and Pull-ups. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my own equipment or I'd GTG those movements also.
I'm unable to do a pull-up at the moment. Therefore, I am going to do Body weight Rows using the Smith MAchine and the other version involving a towel placed over the bar, Pull-up negatives, 1 arm DB Rows. I'm having difficulties thinking through how much work I should begin doing to start. How many sets and how many reps for each exercise? And with respect to the DB row how do I go about warming up for the exercise and what rep range should I use. I'm leaning towards 5 since the work should be to strengthen the back.
And how should I structure my workout to increase my dip numbers. how many sets and reps.
Thanks to all who respond in order to assist this newbie get started.
Thomas Schneitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Schneitter View Post
I'm unable to do a pull-up at the moment. Therefore, I am going to do Body weight Rows using the Smith MAchine and the other version involving a towel placed over the bar, Pull-up negatives, 1 arm DB Rows. I'm having difficulties thinking through how much work I should begin doing to start. How many sets and how many reps for each exercise? And with respect to the DB row how do I go about warming up for the exercise and what rep range should I use. I'm leaning towards 5 since the work should be to strengthen the back.
And how should I structure my workout to increase my dip numbers. how many sets and reps.
Thanks to all who respond in order to assist this newbie get started.
this might be of some help
http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5718

you said you're at level 2. this is what the site says for that:

Level 2
max rounds in 20 min
1 pull-ups
3 push-ups
4 squats

5 rounds for time
3 pull-ups
8 push-ups
13 squats

for time
13 pull-ups
26 push-ups
26 squats

it sounds like your asking for specific rep numbers. if so, we'd either need to know your max reps or your your numbers on those workouts.

for a more general plan, you have the right idea => GTG basic movements as much as possible. you could probably do your squats and pushups everyday. if you feel too sore, just do them everyday but less reps.

at this level of output, you could probably benefit from static holds in the plank, mid/bottom of the pushups, mid squat, in the hole (search "third world squat"), deadhangs, and lockouts at the top of the pullup (just jump up there and hold as long as you can). mid pullup would probably be too hard if you don't have one yet.

a variation to the bar row that could help would be to:
1. prop your feet up on a bench
2. start with your body planked
3. as you pull, fold at the hips
4. bring you neck to the bar as your body makes an L at the hips
5. lower back down to a plank

this makes your bar row feel more like a pullup.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Thomas Schneitter

Grissim thanks for your guidance. I discovered I can do 27 air squats, 13 pushups and 1 dip.
3 times a week I'm going to do a routine focused on improving pullups and dips in addition to the GTG daily for Squats and Pushups. I'm going to do body rows using the variation you described, Pendley Rows and Pulldowns. I'm going to include deadhangs and lockouts at the top of the pullup.
But I need some advice about when I should do the isometric work? Should I do it before or after the other exercises?
I am also going to do all of the other static holds you suggested for the pusshup and squat. I have two questions regarding them. When should I do them and with what frequency?
And I think I'm going to go to the gym and perform interval training on an exercise bike on days which I'm not doing my routine for the dips and pullups. I need to lose some additional fat which the Simplefit routine had helped start the process of removing from my frame. I think I'll perform this type of training 3 times a week.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Kevin Shaughnessy

Do your isometrics before your dynamic exercises, at least thats the advice passed around at coach sommers board. And in my experience statics take less out of you.
Kevin Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Grissim Connery

Where to put the statics is sometimes tricky. A lot of my actual work is statics now. For you, they are more supplementary until your base is a little more solid. If you put them at the beginning of your workout, you may get more out of them. On the other hand, they may reduce your output on your dynamic sets. Sometimes though, they tend to warm up your muscles well so that you get more output from your dynamic sets. It really depends how hard you go on them. To be honest though, if you are doing an intense, crossfit style workout, you aren’t gonna be able to put much forth in your statics afterwards. So it’s probably adviseable to do them before.

Here’s an example based on your goals

Day 1:
Warmup-mobility, cardio, whatever gets you going

10s holds x 6sets
-push isometric – support holds (straight arm hold on the dip bars)
-pull isometric - deadhangs
-squat isometric – 90 degree holds

Max Effort (ME) pullup work
-3 sets of 3 negatives (jump to bar and lower as slowly as possible)
-5x5 body rows

Simplefit workout 1

Day 2:

10s holds x 6sets
-push isometric – plank holds
-pull isometric - deadhangs
-squat isometric – 3rd world squat

ME dip work
-3 sets of 1
-3x3 negatives
-optional: 3x5 bench dips

Simplefit workout 2

Day 3:

10s holds x 6sets
-push isometric – bottom pushup holds (nipples just off the ground)
-pull isometric – chin to bar holds
-squat isometric – 90 degree holds

ME Pullup work
-3x3 negative pullups
-5x5 pendley rows

Simplefit workout 3

You make the statement that you are seeing some fat loss already. In that case, you may just want to cruise with what you have going and not throw in more cardio until you get a little deeper into training. With that being said, I think you’d be fine throwing in 2 days if you really have the itch, but that depends on what you mean by interval training. Try gauging how hard the training is on your body/legs. If it starts to interfere with your main programming, you need to decide whether you want to focus on the strength portion or the cycling.

GTG:
-non-training days: 3-5 pushups and 10-15 squats, 3-5x day
-training days: same reps, 1-2x day

With all of that being said, I’d like to point out that I’m focusing all this advice based on the exercises and program that you have chosen/like to do. If I had to throw one exercise in there, I would probably throw barbell squats in for the max effort on Friday.

I hope this is simple enough to keep you going. Programs can become much more complicated. If this sounds too daunting, just stick to what you’re doing because you’re already seeing progress.

Last bit> as your body squat numbers increase, you may want to start considering pistols
Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Thomas Schneitter

this is fantastic Grissim! Thanks again for your input and guidance. Now it's just up to me to put your plan into action.
I think I may throw in 3 steady state cardio sessions on my non-training training days instead of intervals after reading Lyle McDonald's articles comparing the two types of training. Since I'm a beginner it is more appropriate for my level of fitness.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Grissim Connery

oh one thing i forgot to mention. if you look at the static holds, it's a total of 60s in the holds (6 sets of 10s holds). you should try to progress until you can get a full 60s hold in one set

ex)
15s x 4
20s x 3
30s x 2

and modulate it until you can get a 60s hold. after that point, you probably need harder variation to see benefit. you would have to resort to more intense gymnastic statics, or you could just focus on your dynamic motions.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Thomas Schneitter

Update after a 6 week cycle

6 dips, 20 pushups, 36 squats and nearly 1 pullup( was able to get my chin to the bar)
Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
Grissim Connery

that's great. keep at it
Old 03-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
Kandy donald

This suggestion of routine help me in my bodybuilding. think
it is quite easy for me to attempt this for muscle building.