Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
Derek Weaver

Default Time to Get Dirty

I, along with several friends, am going either do a Warrior Challenge in October, or a Tough Mudder in September.

If it's the Warrior Challenge, I'm not really concerned about it and may do it drunk seeing as it's only 3 miles or so.

The Tough Mudder though, is gnarly. 10-12 miles, various obstacles, and it's definitely the big boy course.

Not really sure how to prepare for it. Tough Mudder is in September, and I am rediscovering my endurance, but just being able to run far isn't going to be enough, I don't think.

Currently, I am following an unintentionally drawn out Get Fit Quickly approach I saw in Andrew W's sig when he still had it. Looking to lift 2-3x/week depending on recovery.

Only reason I'm posting this thread is because on the Tough Mudder website they said in New Jersey only 78% of people finished.

Input appreciated.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #2
Derek Simonds

One of my good friends just broke his ankle doing a tough mudder...

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Kelly White

I like the part where they are slamming beer on the course. It would be whole lot cooler if that was mid way through and not the end.

Even better would be a section where you have to drink a six pack as the obstacle.
Kelly White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Warrior Dash= Run the course with a buzz, at least.

Tough Mudder= I need to actually prepare for it.

I think I actually need to figure out a mixed approach to do it. If I can convince the friends of mine who are going to do one of these races to make it the Tough Mudder, I want to finish the race.

22% drop out rate is pretty harsh for a 10-12 mile course.

Just showing up and doing it isn't a great idea from what I can tell. Plus, I have nothing else to compete in, so figure I may use this as a way to plan my workouts.

Any ideas from anyone on getting through a race like the Tough Mudder?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Cyril Sack
This message has been deleted by Cyril Sack.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Thanks Cyril. I've got a pair of Inov8 f-lite 230s that I really like and use on a gravel track while I am improving on my base level of fitness. In another month or two I will work on some trail runs, perhaps angling to hit some hills.

East Bay area has some good hiking trails that fit the bill to that effect.

I wasn't planning on doing the workout they have on there. For a race like this, I figure outside of the running and other aerobic stuff, the extra should fill the gaps, covering the anaerobic and strength side.

I don't want to waste away trying to get ready for a 10-12 mile race of all things.

Let us know how your race in May goes. I'd be interested to see how you ran it, and what you do to prepare.

I'm kinda hopped over the possibility of this because I am actually hyper competitive with no current competitive outlet, and I have never done an actual race where people didn't finish.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Jay Guindon

Derek, are you familiar with MovNat? Seems like that might be a good program for this. MovNat focuses on 12 essential skills
Walking
Running
Quadrupedal movement
jumping
climbing
balancing
swimming
lifting
carrying
throwing
catching
defending
At least eight of those skills will be in an event like this, at least from what I saw in their videos. Definitely climbing looks like it's pretty crucial. http://www.americanparkour.com/MethodeNaturelle.pdf
That is the Methode Naturelle partially translated to english with an excellent section on jumping and climbing.
Jay Guindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

Hey Jay,
Thanks for replying as well as the link. Definitely cool and I'm checking it out.

I'm familiar with MovNat. Definitely fits with dealing with the obstacles. As does Parkour and Free Running, which makes your link even more useful.

I plan on focusing on a few of these things as I get into better shape and closer to the race.

I need to make sure I'm in good shape, and also capable and strong enough to deal with all of this. I figure being small would be both a blessing and a curse.

It's not like this is some epic endeavor, but I'm pretty psyched and want to prepare accordingly. I figure the better I am prepared, the more likely I'll have fun instead of just being happy it's over.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Jay Guindon

No worries.
It definitely looks really cool and I'm going to sign up for the 2011/2012 Toronto event. Let me know how it goes for you.
Jay Guindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
Derek Weaver

You're in or around Toronto? I just got back from Toronto. Loved the city, except for the cold.

I sure as hell hope that race takes place in July. To do it in the winter is a bit sadistic.

By the way, I'm thinking once I get into better shape, I'll incorporate a fartlek session and have that day take my by a park near my house where I can be the weird adult who is swinging around on the monkey bars and all that.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Joe Davidoski

Default Tough Mudder

Derek,

I ran the Tough Mudder in NorCal last October and it wasn't nearly as strenuous as I thought except for the altitude.

The courses are typically built around a ski resort so it has epic climbs up black diamond runs but I never saw anyone actually running those- it became hiking. Lots of the obstacles are fun but not really challenging like going through a tube or over massive cable spools. The only ones that were really mentally challenging were the water obstacles. For NorCal the water obstacles were in the snow making pool so the temp sucked the breath out of you.

Hopefully Tough Mudder got better at this but there was a line at some obstacles so it didn't really feel like a real 10 miler.

In the end though, it is a fun race and the high drop out rate is mainly because lots of deconditioned people attempt it. I recommend it for a fun time.
Joe Davidoski is offline   Reply With Quote