Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Jason Bourgeois

Default Training Video

First post:

I'm an Olympic weightlifter and Law student living New Orleans and training without a coach.

I already posted this over at Coach Pendlay's forum, so if you have already seen it, please excuse me.

Any critique is welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q18pI9QmfOw

My Channel (I post weekly training videos)

http://www.youtube.com/user/gtg957w
Jason Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Matthew Fried

I will not be critiquing because I am a novice. However I am curious to read what some of the experienced lifters viewing this will post, because I watched your vid 3x and it looked better than "mediocre" to me.

I really like the way you reset your back extension & keep yourself tight all throughout the core during the complex drills & 3 position snatch. Nice job!

I also wish my gym had platforms

Good stuff JB!
Matthew Fried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

RE snatch -

Work on getting your hips snapping through to the bar a bit more - they stop just short of where they should be going, and that's limiting the top speed of the second pull and the speed at which you can change direction and get under the bar. Think of driving the legs vertically and then hyperextending the hips slightly to open up behind the bar. Use the back to pull the bar back and up right into the crease of your hips - it's hitting on your thighs and dragging a bit. Keep it as close as possible, but try not to let it come into contact until it's right at the hips.

Also, get way more aggressive with your turnover - the movement/positions are good, but it's way too slow. Try to get it overhead and fix it into position as soon and as high as possible and then sit into the bottom of the squat. Squeeze the shoulder blades together for your base and the punch the elbows up into the bar. As a part of that turnover effort, pick up your feet a bit more and punch the heels back down into the platform - they're dragging a bit and your toes are hanging up and making you a bit unstable. That brief moment of no contact will also let you change direction faster.

All in all, really good and you have the strength right now to snatch a lot more than 130.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Jason Bourgeois

Coach Everett,

Thanks for the comments.

As for the hip hyper-extension you mentioned, do you recommend any remedial drills to affect that change?
Jason Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

Best way is to get a feel for it slowly initially. Hold the bar in the mid-thigh hang position, finish extending the knees and hips, stay back on the heels, and use the glutes to push the hips through the bar slightly - you should end up with the legs vertical and the shoulders slightly behind the hips. You can then speed this up and do some snatches/power snatches from the mid or high hang, focusing on snapping the hips in without pushing them forward past a vertical leg position.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote