Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
Travis Hall

Default Video of a ‘proper’ Ring Dip

Deleted.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

ts00nami on GB has some decent ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXxQGgwB_FU

You don't need to lean as far forward though that makes it harder. I would like to see the shoulders a bit less forward as well
Old 01-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Travis Hall
This message has been deleted by Travis Hall.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Donald Lee

Are the rings supposed to be turned out that far? I don't think I saw them turned out that far in any of the Gymnastic Bodies videos.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Are the rings supposed to be turned out that far? I don't think I saw them turned out that far in any of the Gymnastic Bodies videos.
The farther you turn them out the harder it makes the exercise.

So yes, upper level ring dips will have both extremely far turned out rings (90 deg past parallel) and a huge lean forwards towards horizontal.

I prefer working RTO first, then implement the lean forwards once the RTO is consistently maintained over the whole exercise for multiple repetitions

Pretty effective for developing strength without having to resort to weighted dips (as much fun as weighted dipping is). I've set up some progressions for them in my book that will categorize the general difficulty of them against other exercises

Last edited by Steven Low : 01-28-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Blair Lowe

A long time ago Coach Sommer responded on this. It was something to the likes that he doesn't employ the ring dip to elbow lever/pseudo maltese-planche.

Gregor did note that this was a basic exercise he used in training for maltese. Basic as in for beginners.

The korean dip does basically the same thing as the RTO dip except it is not on the rings but it's on PB. There are two variants using two different grips (over/under).

Korean dip is a pain if you have a big posterior chain. It just won't fit around the PB single rail. I'll probably set up some blocks to do them tonight at the gym or just wait until I am strong enough to do them on rings again. I can do them on short straps but not our straps at the gym that hang from the ceiling.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Troy Kerr

I tried these the other night. I myself do not posses anything near high level ring-strength, aside from training primarily gymnastic static holds. However I was able to get 2 of them in singles. I think big limiting factor for many people may be how they execute a majority of pushing exercises. I notice a lot of people in my gym that execute their pushups and handstand pushups with their elbows flaired out to the sides tend to not be as comfortable on the rings, when they are forced to keep their elbows tucked in.
Elbows turned in is something I focus on when training the planche or handstand. So I guess training elbows in can have carry over even at low gymnastic strength levels.
Troy Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Blair Lowe

well elbows in line with the body works triceps harder which are very necessary for most support work, especially dips and HSPU.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
shawn prince

Great video of this workout having great information for the new comers,..