Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
Hugh Gilmore

Default Ass first

Hi Guys ,

When squatting, my best is 117.5 x 3 its dam ugly, my ass tends to come up first and it looks like a good morning. NB: I am also belted, I can reliably squat 1 rep of 100kg with out this technique flaw with out a belt,

How do I fix this?

is it a case of lowering the weight and just doing it right I feel I might have pushed the jumps a bit too much in adding weight.

any advice?

also is it correct to believe (and I'm inclined to do so) that as Matt foreman wrote about how a sloppy squat technique wont transfer as well to the Oly lifts I therefore shouldn't necessarily be adding weight if it is making the squat shitty.
Hugh Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
Pete Gordon

There could be a number of factors causing your butt to raise to early. One is you currently don't have the leg strength to get out of a 117.5k squat right. If that's he cause tub take some weight off the bar and work your way up.

Remember to don't just have to add weight. You can increase the reps or sets. You can shorten your rest periods. You can make the eccentric and/or concentric phase of the lift slightly longer. All you need to do is challenge yourself.

Why is squatting big important? To recover from a big lift. If your 117.5k squats lack a lot of depth, that's something to also look at.

Helpful?
Pete Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Kevin Shaughnessy

Throw in some more work for them hammies. Good morning the weight up happens when the hamstrings fail to lock in the back angle, if I understand correctly.
Kevin Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Hugh Gilmore

Default Thanks

Yes brilliant so basically do a reset and if it dosent work try different reps.

My oly coach told me i am lacking leg strength so i have brought my 1 rm of 92 in the sqaut up to 117.5x3 my aim is to get 161kg(2xbw) eventually hopefully sooner rather than later , i figure if i just make it my focus it will help everything else and so far all my lifts have gone up.

so im taking from this reset \ change reps \work the hammies.

unfortunately i don't have a coach at the moment,

Also i only have a barbell and rack i take it RDLs will do for hammies. it that right?

depth wise im fine though, its ass to as near as grass as i can go.

Thanks very much pete and kevin
Hugh Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
John P. Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Gilmore View Post
Hi Guys ,

When squatting, my best is 117.5 x 3 its dam ugly, my ass tends to come up first and it looks like a good morning. NB: I am also belted, I can reliably squat 1 rep of 100kg with out this technique flaw with out a belt,

How do I fix this?

is it a case of lowering the weight and just doing it right I feel I might have pushed the jumps a bit too much in adding weight.

any advice?

also is it correct to believe (and I'm inclined to do so) that as Matt foreman wrote about how a sloppy squat technique wont transfer as well to the Oly lifts I therefore shouldn't necessarily be adding weight if it is making the squat shitty.
Try box squats to correct this. Work on you flexibility. Maybe you shouldn't be squatting right now.
John P. Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Gareth Rees

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P. Walsh View Post
Try box squats to correct this. Work on you flexibility. Maybe you shouldn't be squatting right now.
I think that not squatting completely is bad advice. You can of course squat without problems, as long as you're doing it correctly. I know that you've already said that you aren't doing it correctly, but all you need is a strategy to combat this.

Your ass popping up could be due to a few reasons. If you're already hitting the depth and your back is still good, then it's not a flexibility problem. Could be one of many possible reasons, or a lot combined. Could be as simple as incorrect weight distribution of the feet etc. Some of the guys have already outlined some good things to try, and one of them may work for you, which solves your problem, but I used to do the same, and the cue that really helped me was to initiate the concentric part with your traps. Sounds crazy, but bear with me, when you initiate the movement with your legs it can sometimes cause the legs to extend and the chest to drop, causing your ass to pop up. Initiating it with your traps causes your chest to stay high and back angle (in relation to the floor) to remain relatively unchanged while your legs extend. Obviously if it were a front squat, then you wouldn't do this, but probably just drive the elbows up instead.

Make sense? May not work for you, but it did for me, so hopefully you'll benefit from my mistakes, and if it doesn't work for you, then maybe it'll help somebody you know.

Hope I helped
Gareth Rees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Greg Everett
Administrator

You're able to hit about 75-80% of your best with sound position. Bump up the volume of squatting you're doing correctly, far beyond what you're doing incorrectly. Work in that 60-70% range 2-3 days/week with enough reps/sets to make these difficult squat sessions, and make it more difficult by maintaining the discipline to keep your position correct. Every other training day, or even after these main squat days, squat 40-50% for a few sets of 3-5, again perfectly.

Keep your elbows under the bar rather than behind it, and push your feet out to the sides as you squat. Gareth's trap-leading idea is pretty good - along the same lines as leading with your chest/head rather than your hips. It's more likely an issue of your quads not being strong enough to open the knees under the full load than the hamstrings not being able to hold the position. Force the quads to do the work by squatting correctly in great volume and they'll get stronger; that volume will also serve as practice like it does for any other skill.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
John P. Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Rees View Post
I think that not squatting completely is bad advice.
Who advised that?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
John P. Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
It's more likely an issue of your quads not being strong enough to open the knees under the full load than the hamstrings not being able to hold the position.

This makes sense. If this is the case then maybe he should be doing front squats for now until his quads get stronger?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P. Walsh View Post
This makes sense. If this is the case then maybe he should be doing front squats for now until his quads get stronger?
FS definitely helps with quad development, but it also removes the skill component of performing the BS correctly. So there should be FS in there regularly, but also a good volume of correct BS.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote