Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Jeff Giliam

Default Jeff's Lifting Log

Now that I've finally broken down and registered, I suppose this is the next logical step.

A brief history. For the past 5 years or so I have been plagued by a constantly recurring pattern. I get back into lifting, in one form or another, my strength comes back fairly quickly, and just when I begin to set minor PR's, I injure myself in some way.

Recently I came to notice that nearly all of these injuries have been to the left side of my body. I also noticed that the flexibility in my left ankle was significantly less than that of my right. This led me to recall that about 8 years ago I sprained and broke my ankle and never properly rehab'd it.

With this new insight, I went to a sport chiropractor has been working with me for the past 3 weeks now. Progress has been slow but noticeable. With his help, I can hopefully stave off injury for long enough to get some ankle ROM and make some actual strength gains.
Jeff Giliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Jeff Giliam

A week ago, I received Greg's book and have been carefully going through it. It was a fantastic investment on my part and I'm terrifically excited to implement so many of the thoughtful insights which the book provides.

Given my sporadic strength training history, I have decided to follow the beginners program listed in the book. Hopefully, the relatively low volume will allow me set apart enough time to really work on my mobility as well as properly recover and avoid re-injuring myself.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Jeff Giliam

Friday 4/8/11

Snatch Balance 135# x 3 x 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FIY6ab-UHQ
I really tried to work on maintaining a vertical torso, which met with limited success. I was also trying to stay conscious of my footwork, which I'm not unhappy with.

Back Squat 240# x 3 x 5
This was the first time I've gone moderately heavy (80%) since I pulled a muscle in the lower left side of my back 4 weeks ago. The weight felt about right and the back felt great. I focused on spreading my thighs so as to make room for my hips and minimize the butt wink. I also worked on bouncing out of the bottom.

Snatch pull 155# x 3 x 5
Still getting used to the adjustments I've been trying to implement in my starting position. I focused on spreading the knees, activating the hip flexors and crushing a pencil between my shoulder blades.

Did some macebell swings for shoulder mobility and spinal stability as well as a little bit of plank work. I finished with 2 minutes holds on each side in pigeon pose and the squatting soleus stretch.

I was a little nervous going into this with my left knee feeling stiff and unstable, but I followed my doctors orders and pushed it a bit. I'm glad I did, for my knee felt noticeably better afterwards.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Jeff Giliam

Felt pretty strong today after resting most of last week. Due to time constraints, however, I had to skip snatches.

C&J: Worked up to 235# which felt pretty solid. Probably could've matched or topped my 240# PR, but figured there'd be plenty of time for that in the weeks to come. Backed down to 200# for three reps. The third one felt really solid in form.

Pullups: 8,8,6.

Then spent 2 minutes stretching each leg in the spiderman lunge and hit the hip flexors with the shin against the wall for 2 min. each.

Overall, my lower back and left knee felt pretty strong, which is a welcomed change.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Jeff Giliam

BS: 245# x 3 x 5. Felt strong. I need to get someone to record me to make sure that I'm not losing my lower back arch when I go into the bounce.

Sn DL: 190# x 3 x 5. Pretty rough after those squats. Felt a little light headed at the end of each set. I definitely need to record these to make sure I'm hitting the right positions on the way up.

Push Press: 145# x 5 x 5. Felt solid. Taxing but didn't feel any struggle.

Spent 2 minutes stretching out each soleus as well as 2 min. on each leg in the pigeon pose.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Jeff Giliam

Good day today.

Snatch: 185# PR, then 155# x 3. Form on PR was shit, but the 155's looked decent by comparison.

C&J: 245# PR, then 205# x 3. Again, form on PR was shit, but I'll count it.

Pull-ups: 3 x 8.

Then 2 min. stretch each side of spiderman hold and wall-flexor stretch.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
Jeff Giliam

Started off pretty sore and tight from yesterday, but felt much better as I warmed and loosened up.

OHS: 145# x 3 x 5. First set or two weren't terribly fluid, but the rest seemed pretty easy. It feels like I'm getting better at holding a vertical torso, but I'll need to video it to be sure.

Front Squat: 215# x 3 x 5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CklMWRgHEak
Wasn't terribly difficult, while I was trying to work on bouncing out of the bottom, I also need to make sure I don't relax in the hole.

Clean Pulls: 215# x 3 x 5. Fairly easy. It was my first time using my wrist straps which felt great.

2 min stretch each leg in pigeon pose and elastic band anchored soleus stretches.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Jeff Giliam

Worked a few 3-Position Snatches into my warm-up today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPhhocadqX4

Then worked up to 185# on snatch. Missed twice before getting it. I felt strong enough for 190# but barely failed. Hit 3 x 160# that felt really good.

C&J felt pretty slow and weak after those snatches. Hit 235# and failed at 245#. Went down to 205# and got in 3 pretty weak reps.

Pull-ups: 3 x 8 + 5#.

Ankle stretches and Pigeon pose.

I experimented with a slightly wider grip on the snatch. It looks like all my flexibility work might be paying off, because my starting position didn't look too terrible. I do feel that I'm at the point where I'm snatching enough weight that the wrist braces are starting to interfere with my grip.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Samuel Hughes

no expert, but your lumbar looks vulnerable in the bottom

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
Jeff Giliam

Agreed. I have an unfortunate tendency to relax my hip flexors when I'm down in the hole. I've been trying to work on in the past week or two, but considering all the things that I'm trying to focus on when snatching, I think it's just gonna take time to internalize the drills I warm up with. I'm always open to suggestions!