Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Justin McIntosh

Default Clean form analysis

Me lifting today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnbB6sHvqaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-S6p1Rh2kc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAqfy42THzo
Justin McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

I only watched the first video, but some quick thoughts. First, it's a solid start. Overall it looks good. Your weight moves forward on the feet a little too much too soon - you do a good job of keeping your knees back and staying over the bar, but as you're doing that (as the bar reaches around mid-thigh), you lean into the bar rather than staying over the heels and bringing the bar back to you.

could finish a little more aggressively at the top, esp w regard to leg drive. that will allow you to move your feet better - get them disconnected from the floor and replace them flat-footed in your squat position. now they're getting a bit stuck, and with your weight moving forward already, your stance turns out too much and your;re on the balls of your feet in the squat. when you move the feet, think of driving the heels down and slightly forward into the floor.

you're hesitating a bit at the top of the pull before you start moving under. once you're extended, be done extending - get your feet moving and pull under the bar immediately.

when you pull under, you have to pull under the bar - that is, don't just drop into a squat, pull the bar to your shoulders and bring your shoulders up into the bar- you're dropping out from under it and it's crashing onto your shoulders. this is hard enough to contend with, but with your weight already being forward, it makes it even worse. finish the turnover completely (i.e. get the elbows up and the bar secure on your shoulders) as high and as fast as possible and then ride it down into the bottom rather than throwing the bar up and then trying to catch it in the bottom of the squat.

good luck.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Justin McIntosh

Thank you so much for you reply Greg. I will try and make the necessary changes and get another video.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Pete Gordon

I watched all three videos.

Your last clean looked very hard. PB?

Something I noticed in the first video, that i"m not sure if you do in the other two is that you raise your hips before really getting into the first pull. You didn't quite do it in your second clean on the first vid. So perhaps it was just a once off event.

Otherwise as Greg said, it all looked pretty good. Work on having your elbows pointing towards the other side of the room. That'll allow you to recover with a lot more weight!

Keep up the good work.
Pete Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Justin McIntosh

Unfortunately no not a PB, I generally do my squats prior to the lifts I think that, coupled with letting the bar crash on me like I did, just made that attempt a little harder than it should have been.