Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 04-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
Eric Deangelis

Default Round 2 of IF

I have tried IF before about 3 or 4 months ago and although I felt my body responded well too it, I fell to the lowest BF I have ever been at, I think I fell into the not eating enough trap, because my recovery started to slow down and I felt more lethargic. Basic info is 25yo male, 6 foot, about 185 pounds. 320 DL, 305 Squat, 270 Bench, 165 Press. I am a Jui Jitsu Player. Goals are to maintain ENERGY for Jits, good recovery, loose Bodyfat, and gain lean muscle if possible (not as concerned with) and of course health. I would also like to mention I really like the simplicity of eating twice a day, I feel sometimes I cook all day long because EVERY meal I eat starts from scratch and is 99% paleo. 1% comes from heavy cream in coffee and very limited alcohol on saturdays.

Typical week is 4 days of BJJ, 2 days of Wendlers 5,3,1 Program with BW assistance work. I do at home yoga about 3 times a week, and on my rest days I do BJJ drilling, long yoga session, or a hike.

Last time I did IF I would skip my PWO after BJJ (6- 8) which lead to a 14- 15 hour fast. I also think I was floating around 1500cal on fasting days. So first question, is it better to fast on Strength days or BJJ days? For now I am eating my BJJ PWO and then fasting on my STR day from 8PM (after Jits) till Noon the next day for lunch. So today would look like:

Noon: 1 pound of Chicken
1 whole avacado
steamabale brocolli (4 cups)
1 small apple

est 850 cal

Str Workout: 4- 5pm

PWO: 2 Tilapia Filets

est 200 cal

6:30: Oven baked Pork Lion (About 1 pound)
Bacon
Cauliflower
Red cabbage Cooked in EVOO and Onion
est 900 cal

Total est: 1950-2k cal, about 180-190 g protien

So eating window would be noon - 6:30 twice a week on lifting days. Does this seem to meet my goals? Giving it a go today. Also, How many cal a day should I be aiming for on regular and fasting days? I dont weight and measure, other than by the pound or eyeballing it, but I can pretty easily keep a cal count in my head give/take 200 cal. Thanks! Hope my post is clear.
Eric Deangelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

It doesn't matter, any of it. Eat enough protein, don't fear carbs, balance your fats.

You don't eat enough to try and gain anything. Your maintenance works out to ~2775 calories/day. Estimated to be at 2000 kcal/day as you laid out above puts you in a fairly significant deficit.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Eric Deangelis

Fair enough. A deficit of 700 cal is significant, could explain the lethargic feeling that I still sometimes get. My number one question is I am eating 700 cal under my maintenance then why arenít I losing any more weight? It seems I float at 180-183 at where I am eating now, adding a few hundred calories makes me think weight will crawl back on. Damn aesthetics!

On a side not, Iím going to eat more at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Thanks.
Eric Deangelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Deangelis View Post
Fair enough. A deficit of 700 cal is significant, could explain the lethargic feeling that I still sometimes get. My number one question is I am eating 700 cal under my maintenance then why arenít I losing any more weight? It seems I float at 180-183 at where I am eating now, adding a few hundred calories makes me think weight will crawl back on. Damn aesthetics!

On a side not, Iím going to eat more at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Thanks.
The energy balance equation works, until it doesn't. Carbs and insulin aren't the culprits so much as the rest of the hormones of bodyweight regulation.

Take some time and read these:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...e-get-fat.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-equation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ind...ght+regulation (there are a bunch on this page, it's worth setting aside some time though, these are the most important)
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote