Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Patrick Yeung

Default Whatcha Think?

So its been awhile since ive been on here reading stuff. Had some fun reading today catching up on some things here and there.

So I am in the process of trying a new workout plan and wanted to see what you all think about it. It seems kinda random, stil playing with numbers to see what I can actually do. Goals, get a 3xBW Squat, DB Bench Press w/100#, DL 2.5xBW DL, get mile down to 5mins, and general met-con.

Currently @ 5'8, 165#

I tried this workout, only with pullups/dips instead of C&J and sit ups, and it was felt pretty good. DL day is brutal though, but thats mostly cause I have been lazy about them. My pressing is not so good in any direction, be it shoulder or bench. I had a dislocated shoulder about 1.5 years ago, and have been reluctant to start working on it. Besides, I love squating.

Did smolv to try and get my squat up. Then did an "advanced" varriant of 531 which had a big squat volumune. I was getting stronger, but it was too taxing to try and do some conditioning with it and I was starting to get bored.

Training plan
Lift 3x week + Hiking/kayaking 2x week + dips/pullups/Handstand at home 3x week

Goal for C&J and the Hindu pushups/DB Snatch is speed.
I do agile 8/Agile 6 between lifting and the running. Right now the whole thing takes me less than 90 mins.

Workout 1
Squat 1x5 385
Deadlift 5x5 235
Front Sq 2x15 135

C&J 5x3 135
Wt Situp 3x10 50

Run .5 miles x 2

workout 2
Bench 1x3 80
Bench 5x5 70
P Press 5x5 115
Bench 2x15 35

Hindu 5x5
DB Snatch 5x3 60
Run .5 miles x 2

workout 3
Squat 5x5 325
Deadlift 1x5 285
Deadlift 2x15 185

C&J 5x3 135
Wt Situp 3x10 50

Run .5 miles x 2

Thanks guys!
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Gareth Rees

So your goal basically is pretty much to be a bit of a beast??? Sounds to me like a pretty good goal!
I'm no expert, but you asked for opinions, so here's mine (in short as I'm pretty tired).
To be perfectly honest, I think that the 5x5 deadlift is pretty crazy, as i believe that if there's a single exercise to avoid large volume for is deadlifts... Personally I'd favour pushing the squats, maybe even for a 5x5, then maybe push the deadlift for a single set of 5.
I also personally see little sense in putting explosive exercises anywhere but the start of a session, especially not at the end.
How long does it take you to complete both .5mi runs?
Old 05-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Patrick Yeung

Much longer than I like...

Right now though... After 2 years of no cardio, I do the .5mi at 7speed on a 3% incline on the treadmill. I usually do a .25 mile slow jog/walk between sets.

Sad for me cause I used to do sub 20min 5k repeats as a general road work.

Maybe ill drop the DL down on that first day. Its not very heavy for me. Its mostly there to help with my grip strength. Maybe just drop it down to 2 sets?

Reasons for explosive work after major lifts is because its not my major goal.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Keith Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Yeung View Post
Maybe ill drop the DL down on that first day. Its not very heavy for me. Its mostly there to help with my grip strength. Maybe just drop it down to 2 sets?

Reasons for explosive work after major lifts is because its not my major goal.
I agree with the other poster, push the squats and drop to one heavy set of deads.

Also, putting the explosive lifts first should not impact your other strength lifts, but if you do them afterwards, they will be impacted!! The strength lifts don't require as much focus and coordination as the Oly lifts, therefore the Oly lifts should be prioritized in any program that includes them, even if they are not your major goal!!
Keith Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Allen Yeh

If explosive lifts aren't a goal right now drop them. You are trying to cram a lot of stuff into each session.

If you are trying to increase your run time is there any reason you can't do your runs on other days? Like before your pushup/dip stuff. I'd see doing the run after lifting if it's for conditioning purposes or something like that for speed I don't know. Then again I've always sucked at running so that probably has something to do with it too.

Are you doing anything for your shoulders specifically? From other guys with messed up shoulders that are benching still I've seen them recommend stuff like Ido Portals Shoulder and Scap stuff. Only adds a few minutes but worth it. I've added it in the past and do it occasionally now but I've never had a major shoulder problem.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:59 AM   #6
Gareth Rees

Patrick,
I'd still suggest the 1 set, but try 2 if you'd like and see how you react to it. I just feel that 5 sets would grind you down pretty quickly. If you're doing them mainly for grip strength, there are plenty of substitutes you can do for that.
With the explosive lifts, Keith has pretty much just elaborated on my point and thinking, and I completely agree with him on prioritizing them, even if they're not your major goal. There are many reasons for this, but one of the most important ones that applies to you is because strength work carries over to explosive work slightly, but explosive work most definately makes you a lot stronger stronger (both obviously up to a point). But as Allen said, you are trying to cram a lot, so if you could add a workout day that would be ideal.
I asked how long it takes you to do your conditioning as I'd have suggested switching it to a completely new day if possible if it took too long.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Patrick Yeung

Well, the Agile 6 I do does include shoulder dislocates, pec/lat stretch and a "sleeper side stretch" that seem to help my shoulder. I dont have any pain or weakness in it. I do a lot of random dynamic stretching between sets as well, a lot include shoulder rotations.

Ill drop the 5x5 DL and move it to a 1x5 for the same weight as workout 3.
Ill add 5x3 squat at same weight as workout 3.

Ill move explosive work to the front. I just like doing them, and like you stated, I find that it helps with my major lifts. It would be a good warm up to my other lifts, and putting them first will definetly help my form for both.

I have running on those days because I dont have the time to focus on it with road work. Right now, that time is spent fishing from my kayak or going on hikes with my girl. The 5 min mile is the least of my goals right now. I dont see it coming realistically till closer to the end of the year when I hope to focus on it more. Where as the lifts I hope to achieve in the next 4 months.

For some reason, my body is doing great on a linear progression still for these lifts, even though im starting to get bigger numbers. Also helps that I am holding a lot of body fat than usual, so hopefully my %bw numbers will drop too as I lean out adding cardio.

Thanks for the help guys. The experience found here always impresses me.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
Eduardo Chile

Just curious why everyone says Deadlifts are too taxing but not squats.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Chile View Post
Just curious why everyone says Deadlifts are too taxing but not squats.
We have a thread where it's talked about:

http://performancemenu.com/forum/sho...rer+dea dlift
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
Eduardo Chile

Red face

I remember reading that thread. I actually posted a thread from there where he talks about the deadlift not being anymore taxing than the squat. It might be in somebody's log.

To me it seems like people expect the deadlift to be more taxing than anything else therefore it is. I think more weight is lifted due to improved leverages and not because the CNS is more involved.

I've been Deadlifting twice a week without much issue for awhile now.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote