Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Bee Brian

Default Overall weekly, monthly, or yearly WORKLOAD. Is it the secret?

This is just my theory, and I would like for you guys to help me refine or debunk it...

Is it fair to say that your strength and power in the future is mainly determined by the overall amount of work you have done in the past? For example, newbies need little stimulation for growth. It is reported that they can increase their strength with loads of as low as 60% of their max lifts (or even lower!). However, as the athlete improves, he needs to constantly adapt on training programs that requires heavier lifting with more frequency.

- Lifting three times a week with an average of 20 lifts exceeding 85% of 1-repetition maximum.

Advanced/Elite

- An elite weightlifter who averages 4000 maximal or near-maximal lifts a YEAR. That averages to about 11 heavy singles a DAY, for seven days a week.

The newbie makes progress. His clean + jerk goes from 135 - 225, while the elite weightlifter goes from a 315 clean + jerk to 405.

To be fair, the newbie may have taken only a year or two to reach a 225-pound clean + jerk, but that is because he is a newbie, and gains would be fast even with minimal training loads.

The elite weightlifter may have taken him 5 or more years to take his clean and jerk from 315 to 405, but that rate of improvement is only normal for his level.

What if our future performances are mainly determined by the maximum amount of training load that we have generated over the past?

I appreciate any feedback.
Bee Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
John Alston

Is this just a complicated way of saying you need to put in work over the long haul to get the most out of yourself? I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed with this.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Bee Brian

COME ON PEOPLE! MORE ANSWERS PLEASE.

I wanna provoke everyone's thoughts for a meaningful conversation... We got one so far.

For example, is this a practical way of looking at things? Yes? No? Blah blah blah.

Come on.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
John Alston

You stated a long version of "put in hard work for a long time." What else is there to say?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Bee Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
You stated a long version of "put in hard work for a long time." What else is there to say?
*shrugs*

Yeah..........

I guess this is end thread....

Talk to you next time. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Brian View Post
What if our future performances are mainly determined by the maximum amount of training load that we have generated over the past?
I think you need to clarify what you mean because that sentence doesn't make much sense to me.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Bee Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
I think you need to clarify what you mean because that sentence doesn't make much sense to me.
It is what it is. I can only give you an example....

Elite weightlifter = HAVE DONE LOTS OF HEAVY LIFTING.

Intermediate weightlifter = HAVE DONE A LOT LESS HEAVY LIFTING.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Greg Everett
Administrator

Ok. Then what it is is essentially the most obvious thing on earth like John said. I'm not sure how you're expecting a discussion about it.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Bee Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Ok. Then what it is is essentially the most obvious thing on earth like John said. I'm not sure how you're expecting a discussion about it.
I am expecting a discussion about it because I am wondering why reputable people who have great knowledge and experience decide to make everything sound so "hidden" and complex that they have to write a "Complete Guide" about it and make thousands of bucks selling it on ignorant folks who don't know where to start.

Why is everyone doing "this" if it is so obvious that "that" is a better way?

Here's a trend that I see in everyday life.

An expert in a given endeavor knows alot about his field. He knows anyone can achieve the same level of expertise through reading certain books, experiencing certain things, and having the desire to achieve the said expertise.

But human nature forces that "expert" to keep everything hidden in the world and create an all-knowing, all-powerful book that supposedly have everything one needs to know about the respected field.

My job here is to help everyone cut the crap and "enlighten" people so that they will no longer need to buy a book entitled as "The Complete Guide" to save themselves some money with the current economy that the United States of America is in.

What do you think, Mr. Greg Everett? Is my theory accurate or is there something in your book that defies what I have concluded?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Brian View Post
I am expecting a discussion about it because I am wondering why reputable people who have great knowledge and experience decide to make everything sound so "hidden" and complex that they have to write a "Complete Guide" about it and make thousands of bucks selling it on ignorant folks who don't know where to start.

Why is everyone doing "this" if it is so obvious that "that" is a better way?

Here's a trend that I see in everyday life.

An expert in a given endeavor knows alot about his field. He knows anyone can achieve the same level of expertise through reading certain books, experiencing certain things, and having the desire to achieve the said expertise.

But human nature forces that "expert" to keep everything hidden in the world and create an all-knowing, all-powerful book that supposedly have everything one needs to know about the respected field.

My job here is to help everyone cut the crap and "enlighten" people so that they will no longer need to buy a book entitled as "The Complete Guide" to save themselves some money with the current economy that the United States of America is in.

What do you think, Mr. Greg Everett? Is my theory accurate or is there something in your book that defies what I have concluded?
Stunning. I never expected when writing my book that someone of your unparalleled intelligence would be clever enough to see through the ruse. It's true that the book contains nothing you didn't explain quite adeptly in your original post. It's incredible I've managed to become rich selling so many copies to so many misguided, ignorant readers without having yet been caught. I didn't think I would be found out before I was able to complete the destruction of the entire US economy.

You're more than welcome to do your job, as you describe it, and enlighten everyone here. To this point, though, you've failed to actually say anything other than expressing your frustration that you've not yet been recognized by the members of this forum as the intellectual maverick you truly are. I encourage you to stay on task until they understand the full extent of your genius and can finally move on with their training, eventually accumulating enough heavy lifts to reach that elite level you describe.

As an aside, my book is indeed so complete (as well as just confusing enough to force people to buy more of my products) that it discusses this remarkable new theory of yours. Indirectly and largely in passing, of course, because of its elementary nature.

If you bought the book and all the words confused you, don't be embarrassed to ask for help. That's what a lot of people use forums for. This one doesn't even cost any money! If you haven't read the book (quite likely based on your post), I'd be willing to pay YOU the retail value of it in exchange for an article that discusses this newest advance in training theory so you can get proper credit for your staggering discovery.

Otherwise, do your best to make worthwhile posts here. I'm a fairly patient and understanding individual, but if you can't handle the responsibility that comes along with such intelligence, we'll just have to remove your account and reconsider activating it again after your 16th birthday.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal