Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
Robert Allison

Default Poliquin's Books

I am thinking of picking up some of Poliquin's books and was curious to hear some feedback from others.

Is there any information in the books above & beyond what you would find in his T-Nation columns? If so, which two of his books would be the best? My interest is primarily in general health & fitness, and training for athletic performance.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

didn't even know he was selling a book...funny....I am sure you can pick up 75% of his theories through all the articles he writes...but he also has alot of stuff he prob doesnt cover and some of it is "out" there....
Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

the only one i know of is 'poliquin principles', which is 10+ years old. i'm sure he has newer material out. if i recal correctly, PP is concerned primarily if not exclusively with bodybuilding. for that, i remember it being pretty good. considering your interests, i wouldn't place that book high on my recommendation list.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Steve Shafley

Uh, his published books I've seen, Poliquin Principles and Manly Weight Loss, were ok, but nothing to write home about.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Neal Winkler

A new edition of the Poliquin Principles is out. I got it not knowing it was mostly about bodybuilding. After taxes it cost about $55 and was not worth the money, given that the font was somewhat large, and there were many pictures. This drastically cut down on the amount of information in the book. If it were cheaper it would be a nice little reference for bodybuilding, but you can get plenty of other books on the subjects that are much more in depth for less of a price.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
Robert Allison

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The ones I was thinking about are Modern Trends in Strength Training and Applied Strongman Training for Sport.

FWIW, you can see all (I think) of his current titles here:

http://charlespoliquin.com/store/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=d4b3c4f2015858ce44373fad 7f7e6b82

I was hoping to find some copies for cheap on Amazon or maybe Overstock.com, but no such luck. Given that there don't seem to be any overwhelming endorsements of his books, I may just do a fairly serious review of his articles on T-nation.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Mark Fenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Allison View Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The ones I was thinking about are Modern Trends in Strength Training and Applied Strongman Training for Sport.
I've leafed through Applied Strongman Training for Sport. It's not bad ... I can look at it more closely if you really want an opinion before you buy it. How much is it? (A friend of mine has it) On the strongman training front, I do recommend Building the Ultimate MMA Athlete by the Diesel Crew ... somewhat MMA specific, but if you are looking for nifty exercises, this book will do the trick. It has lots of stuff with kegs, tires, hammers, bands, etc.

Regards,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #8
Robert Allison

Hi Mark,

If you have a chance to take a closer look, I would really appreciate some further feedback. The book goes for $39.95, and since it is apparently just over a hundred pages, I would like to have a better sense of whether it's worth that much.

Thanks for the heads up on the Diesel Crew book--I hope to check that out in the near future. Have you read Training for Warriors?

http://store.speedtrainingstore.com/trforwatereg.html

From what I understand, it doesn't really focus on strongman-type training, but I have heard some good things about it.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
Chuck Kechter

Training for Warriors is very good! Not strongman at all, but very oriented towards fight training -- especially MMA.

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
Mark Fenner

Training for Warriors definitely gets a thumbs up. Rooney writes well and covers many important topics. The one thing the book is missing ... let me double check ... (flip, flip, flip) ... yup ... is a longer term (even weekly) plan for the MMA athlete. Now, I know, everyone is going to need their own plan ... for example, in the Diesel Crew book, I laughed at their longer term plan (although I later reconsidered and like what they're trying to get you to do).

However, I like at least seeing the thought process that goes into developing longer term programming. It helps me put the author's little pieces into big pieces. The dynamic warm-up chapter near the beginning of Training for Warriors is practically worth the cost of the book, in my opinion. I think you can purchase the book on Amazon pretty cheaply, btw.

Less MMA directed (more stand up), is Cosgrove's book "Martial Arts Conditioning". It has some nice stuff in it -- complexes and ideas for making complexes suck (more). Note: I'm not sure if this is the same book as "Secrets of Martial Arts Conditioning" which is newer.

I'll take a look at the Poliquin Strongman book next Wednesday (after the holiday) and get back to you ... I forgot about it last night.

Regards,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote