Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Jarod Barker

Default Relocating to Pleasanton, CA

Hey, I'm looking at relocating to Pleasanton, CA next month. Anyone from that area? Any good gyms? I know Catalyst Athletics is about 40 minutes away

I'm just looking for an open gym, NOT a Crossfit, where I can use chalk and bumper plates. I don't care if it's in a basement, with or without running water, electricity and air conditioning are optional as well. I'm sure there's a Y there, but.... I really hate most Y's.

Anyone in/from that area?
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Arien Malec

San Ramon is pretty close so California Strength is strong choice. Diablo Barbell in Concord is also supposed to be a pretty strong hardcore gym but slightly farther away. Derek Weaver might have more choices.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

There isn't much in the way of an open gym that I know of. Cal Strength is probably the best choice. This area isn't great for people who want to lift or workout in a non-douche manner.

Depending on the time of day Cal Strength should be less than a half hour. I don't think that the Y that used to be in Livermore is even open anymore. Used to run gymnastics and stuff, but I think it closed.

On Powerlifting watch, I did a search and saw "Prevail Fitness", which I think was Reactive Gym. I think that may be the local CF affiliate. I really don't know.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Jarod Barker

Yeah, it's not much better here in Pittsburgh... Everywhere you go is nothing but machines and the clientele, well to call them meatheads would be an insult to people who actually workout.... There is literally 1, just one single gym in the area that lets you use chalk and bumpers.

I just want a place where I can come in, do my squats, deadlifts, some cleans, and presses. I don't need an array of dumbbells, bosu balls, smith machines, leg presses, and all those bizarre cable spread your legs things.

Where do you guys train? I'm thinking of maybe just looking to rent a storage space and outfitting it myself with a squat rack, a bar, and some bumpers.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Arien Malec

Here's my O-Town home gym:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...&postcount=935
Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Arien Malec

But seriously, Glenn F'n Pendlay.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
But seriously, Glenn F'n Pendlay.
Yeah, it would definitely be an incredible opportunity to train with him. I don't know if he'd even let me in the door though. I've seen Kevin Cornell lift at the Pittsburgh Barbell Club in Bridgeville, PA. I am no where near that caliber of athlete. I don't think my one rep maxes would even fall into the range of their warm up reps haha.

Definitely something to consider, though I'd assume it's pretty expensive to train there. I will certainly look into it though. I should be arriving July 9, so maybe I can hurry up and shoot an email to Glenn.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
Jarod Barker

Nice platform by the way! You did a really good job on that. Mine is some poorly (read jagged) cut rubber flooring and a sheet of plywood taped to a concrete floor. What I lack in material and tools I make up for with duct tape.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Arien Malec

Shoot him a PM on his forum. There's a non-competitive team as well.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Greg Everett
Administrator

With no traffic, e.g. on a Saturday, we're about 30-40 min away. We don't have open gym time normally, but on Saturdays at 11 am, we let people come in and lift with the team so keep that in mind as an option if you want an occasional break from wherever you end up training regularly.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote