Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
Ricardo Costa

ME Bench:

Mobility warmup

Bench:
135 2 sets of 10
225 x5
315 x3
365 x5 padded 1 board
405 x3 padded 1 board

4 Board Bench:
405 x5
445 x3
475 x2

DB Bench - palms facing in
100 lbs - 3 sets of 15

DB Side Raise
30 lbs - 4 sets of 8

My midsection was a little tender today from the KB work yesterday but it is a must for me, the last thing i need is for my low back or midsection to get loose while I am lowering and contracting hundreds of pounds over my chest. Staying tight throughout the entire lift is mandatory whether it is your warmup or your maximum effort!

My volume was a little less than normal today, just because i was more focused on the lock out work and the DB Bench. I jumped up 20 lbs from last week on the Db's and wanted to make sure I had a little left in the tank to work my full range of motion. I will probably get some upper body restoration work in tomorrow after my son's practice in the evening.

-Costa-
ocstrengthclub.com
uspla.org

For some great wrist/knee wraps that give awesome support yet comfortable check out Rhino Power Gear on Facbook!
Ricardo Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #12
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Costa View Post
Thanks for the post Derek (you were the first brave soul)!
In any program consistency is the key and with you doing PLP it seems like you don't have any trouble in that department. We all have are strengths and weaknesses the key is to accentuate your strengths and develop your weaknesses. Your commitment obviously shows with your log, now just continue to go after your goals!

~Costa~
Rise Above
You obviously haven't seen me Weaver myself yet.

I'll keep following along with this log. I figure I'll pick up a few things just as a spectator.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Ricardo Costa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
You obviously haven't seen me Weaver myself yet.

I'll keep following along with this log. I figure I'll pick up a few things just as a spectator.
No I haven't seen the "Weaver" yet, i guess i will have to wait for that one.
But thanks for the support and if you have any questions please feel free to post!

~Costa~
Plan your Work and Work your Plan!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #14
Ricardo Costa

Well today ended my 30 day challenge from Robb Wolf and his Paleo Solution and i can say i dropped a solid 14 lbs, down to my goal of 242 lbs! before that i dropped 14 lbs for total 28 in 2 1/2 months. I will say i am somewhat surprised at how easily it was to lose those cravings for grains and to accept all the vegetables I am now eating, but i am very happy that i have switched over to a more nutritious eating plan.

I will say that i do have a very good metabolism and it was always a chore to maintain my weight at 270, i was constantly eating and most of it bad, but it was a necessary evil to stay at that weight but my metabolism never gave me justice at my attempt to be a full 275'er. I wanted to walk around at least at 280 and drop down for meets but my body was always self regulating so that is why I believe dropping this weight was not really that bad, the first 14 was easy, the 2nd 14 was more work for sure, but now with new eating habits i believe i can feel better and look better!

Also, the inflammation is way down, people today are riddled with inflammation problems and my past injuries were greatly affected by inflammation. By adding more Omega 3's and getting rid of the grains, the stamina in my joints has vastly improved.

Now i have to admit i did get an order of fries and some soft serve, today at sizzler as a small celebration (carb loading, haha) so i am far from perfect, as we all have our weaknesses, but even those weren't that great and i have always been a fri-aholic!

Eating the way the cavemen did just makes good sense, so i hope a lot of you will look into making better choices. We are all performance driven, so i wish you luck in your pursuit of excellence!

~Costa~
Rise Above
Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #15
Ricardo Costa

Back Work:
7-20-11

Mobilty warm up
Hammer Strength High row - warm up
100 lbs - 2 sets of 15

Pull Ups - BW
7 sets of 6 - 3 different grips
** Super Set w/
45 degree Back Extension - BW
6 sets of 10

DB Shrugs
100 lbs - 3 sets of 15
** Super Set w/
EZ Curls
80 lbs - 3 sets of 10

Rear Delts (Pec Deck)
75 lbs - 3 set of 12
** Super Set w/
Decline Sit Ups
BW - 3 sets of 10

DB Alt Curls
40 x 8
45 x 8
50 x 8
** Super Set w/
CS Rows
180 x 10
180 x 12
180 x 12

Abs (upright ab / dip station)
Straight Leg - Leg Lifts
3 sets of 10

Elliptical 15 min

Good work tonight, i needed it, after a hard day at work. To end my day i tested out one of our work trucks and it broke down on the freeway in 90 degree heat and I had to sit/stand there for 2 hours! The therapy of the gym makes life more bearable. These doctors need to give out gym memberships and ditch the anti-depressants!

My real break through tonight was on the elliptical, bear with me, for the last year all I could do was the recumbent bike and if i did the elliptical for 10 min i was downing pain killers to numb the pain in my feet. Now for me I love endurance feats, while in the Corps I ran 5k's, 10k's, Triathlon's, mud runs, pack runs, endurance swims, 20 mile hikes (while intoxicated), etc., so for me to get 15 min on the elliptical pain free (after standing on the side of the freeway) is awesome!!! I think it is 2 fold: definitely the weight loss is huge and i feel like all the grains and dairy lead to inflamed joints and muscles.

So now, that i am leaner and less inflamed i was able to come home, down my shake and wrestle with my son for 45 min without even thinking of soaking my feet and grabbing the ibuprofen bottle!

I'll take PR's where ever I can get them, even on the elliptical!!!

~Costa~
Rise Above
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
Ricardo Costa

Speed Bench:
Friday 7-22-11

Mobility warm up

Bench w/ Monster Mini Bands
Bands 3 sets of 10
135 x3

165 x3 - 3sets Close Grip
185 x3 - 3 sets Med Grip 1 min rest between all sets
185 x3 - 3 sets Wide grip

Close Grip Bench w/ Monster Mini's
135 x 10
135 x 10 1 min rest between all sets
135 x 8

Lying Tri Extensions (rollbacks)
50 x 10
60 x 10
70 x 10

Rear Delts (Pec Deck)
75 - 2 sets of 10

Dips
BW x 20
BW x 18
BW x 15
1:30 rest between sets and static hold at the top at end of the set

Elliptical 15 mins

Felt Great in the gym tonight, I did have to rush since they close at 10 pm on Friday night so had to keep a fast pace, but luckily got a little nap when i got home from work so it helped me have some energy tonight.

4 weeks out to the Norwalk meet where i am trying to set an American Submaster Record and 8 weeks out to the Olympia! 4 weeks seems like not enough time, so glad it's a tune up for the bright lights of Vegas.

~Costa~
ocstrengthclub.com
uspla.org

99 Problems, but a Bench aint one
-Super Training Gym
Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #17
Ricardo Costa

Active Recovery:

Battling ropes
10 min
1 min on - :30 off

Lats and shoulders a little sore, so i just wanted to get the blood flowing and move those areas around and the rope works great for that. No big deal just documenting the training.

~Costa~
Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #18
Derek Weaver

Good elliptical PR. Sucks about the truck though.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
Ricardo Costa

Thanks Derek!

Max Effort (ME) Bench:

Mobility Warm up

Bench:
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 3
365 x 3 padded one board
405 x 2 padded one board

Shirt work:
495 x 2 - 3 board
545 x 1 - 3 bd
585 x 1 - 3 bd
600 x 1 - 3 bd
585 x 1 - 2 bd

DB Bench: (palms facing in)
120 x 10 - 3 sets
80 x 20

DB Clean
20 - 3 sets of 15

News Flash - Losing weight affects your strength and takes time to transition!

I am very happy with all my weight loss of 30 lbs has done, for my quality of life, now I have to start to build up my strength at this new weight class. I feel great, I look better and I feel like i just added some years to my life. But now, time to get back to mankind's true essence - I can lift a bigger rock than you can!

Really it's just a mind game, and excepting a set back in strength and then building upon the new attributes that i have attained.

I am lucky to have good workout partners that put up with all the sets, board holding, lift offs, etc. But they have been too nice in this process, somebody tell me that i suck, I need some haters to get the blood flowing. Passion is great, but proving somebody wrong really gets the weights going.
Anybody???

~Costa~
-Strong Minds, Build Strong Bodies-
Old 07-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #20
Ricardo Costa

Extra Workout/Active Recovery:

Mace Bell Swings
3 Sets of 40 (20L, 20R)

I love using my Mace. Tonight just got the blood flowing in the Shoulders and tri's, it's great after a heavy day to help loosen up and speed up the recovery process.

My Mace is homemade, off a you tube video from Steve Maxwell. For under $20 i made a Mace i have been using for over 2 years! It is also a great core, cardio, and grip workout. I highly advise adding this piece of homemade equipment to your toolbox.

~Costa~