Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #51
Ricardo Costa

Mr Olympia - Meet Report:
9-19-11

It's been a long 2 and half weeks, work has been insane and the days have flown by, so here it goes:

The week before the meet i went to 580 and felt ok with how it went. My goal was to get a PR and and a 600 bench in a second wt class.
Was weighing in around 247, so had to drop a few lbs, it wasn't that bad but it did come back to bite me later. Arrived Friday around 4:30 pm and weighed in at 239.6 and then off to get some grub and put back on a few lbs.

Saturday started off good and then on the way to the convention center there was 2 accidents and crazy traffic so got a late start but once at the venue, the excitement was in the building and everybody was pumped to be there!

Warm up went good despite putting all the lifters and handlers in a space that needed to be triple the size, so very, very crowded.
Opener 578 good 3 white lights (5 lb PR at 242)
Got the PR so on to the next goal 600
2nd Attempt 600 no good
3rd Attempt 600 no good

Both got stuck at my weak point (2 board area), the judging was great, strict but right on, very consistent and everyone got the same commands at the exact same time, so no one could really complain on that.

Myself and another competitor got 578 me on my first and him Mike B on his third, but he came in at 239.4 so he beat me out by .2 lbs. Mike B was a great guy and fun to compete with as well as Cory Dexter who got 661 and both of these guys were great competitors and fun to compete with. I can't wait to have more battles with these guys.

The USPA has done a great job in trying to maintain strict standards with great support for the lifter and so far they have hit the mark and I wish them much success.

Well I can say that my 600 lb goal wasn't met, yet, but all that does is make it taste much sweeter when i smash it.
I am making some adjustments: i picked up a slingshot, and my new custom bench shirt is on the way. So back to the drawing board and getting stronger!

~Costa~
Ricardo Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #52
Derek Weaver

It's hard for me to comprehend a 600 lb bench.

Sounds like a great time.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #53
Ricardo Costa

Back Work:
9-21-11

Hammer Strength High Row
3 sets of 13

EZ Curls
3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
DB Shrugs
3 sets of 15

Rear Delts
3 sets of 10
** Super Set w/
Cable Curl
3 sets of 10

CS Row
3 sets of 10
** Super Set W/
Leg Lifts
3 sets of 10

Just some easy work to get back in the groove, it felt good to get back in the gym and start working towards my next goal. If your not moving Forward than your standing still and that does nothing for nobody.

~Costa~
Rise Above
Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #54
Ricardo Costa

Derek,
I agree sometimes these numbers seem pretty crazy. But a lot of things make these numbers possible. Getting around people stronger than you is huge and that has helped me tremendously. When you have people around you that push you, it makes a big difference and when you work hard and stay disciplined to your goals only good things can happen.

I always say you might be more talented than me but your not gonna out work me and that mantra has served me well. Thanks for the support.

~Costa~
Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #55
Ricardo Costa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AECwcl4edb0

Here's my opener, in the standing room only venue of the Las Vegas Convention Center for the Mr Olympia Bench Press Invitational!!!

I was just really happy to be a part of this event for the second straight year and i had a blast being included with some of the best lifters in the country!

I also want to add a big thanks to my friend John Dorsten as he helped me out with warm ups, lift offs, yelling at me, etc... He also went on to deadlift 683lbs at 198! John is a great technician and strong lifter.

~Costa~
Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #56
Ricardo Costa

Default Sling Shot Vid

Bench:
Friday 9-23-11

Mobility Warm up

Bench:
Bar x 10
135 x 8
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 3

Slingshot:
365 x 5
405 x 3

Tri pushdowns
3 set of 15
** Super set w/
Pec Deck
3 sets of 12

DB Side Raises
4 sets of 10

Time to move on and start thinking about the next meet, so got back in the gym. Normally do my speed work here but just wanted to get the blood flowing and get a good workput in. I have a few options for the next training cycle / meet prep so right now i might just try to get some good work in and set the foundation for the next meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE2aSmCFCjg

I was able to use the Mark Bell sling shot for the first time tonight and it was interesting, a lot like reverse bands which i really like for overloading and teaching speed out of the bottom so i think i will be using it a lot, until the spring and see how it can help me. Also where i do my max effort work we don't have a rack so these can help replicate the Reverse Bands that i can't use there. All in all not a bad investment and something new to help break up the monotony of training. I've been lifting since i was 13 and its nice to have different tools to mix things up and keep your mind fresh.

~Costa~
Rise Above
Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #57
Ricardo Costa

Max Bench:
Mon 9-26-11

Bench:
135 x 8
225 x 6

Slingshot
315 x 6
365 x 5
405 x 3

Shirt Work:
495 x 2
545 x 2

Got out of work late and the garage gym had to close early so it was really rushed, just wanted to get some weight in my hands.

~Costa~
Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #58
Ricardo Costa

Extra Work:
Sat 10-1-11

4 rounds - no rest
*Sledge Hammer - (tire strikes 40 hits)
*KB Snatch (10L, 10R)
*KB Clean (10L, 10R)

Pull ups (Garage Rafter Style)
5 sets of 6

DB Curls
2 sets of 12

Hindu Squats
2 sets of 25

Mobility work

Had a crazy week but it looks like it might be getting better so had to start off the weekend with some good ol' sucking wind hard work in the backyard! And as I type this I feel the hamstrings screaming already, but i needed to put in some work to get back on track.

~Costa~
If you want to be considered a King, you need to WALK as a King
Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #59
Ricardo Costa

ME Bench:
Mon 10-3-11

Mobility Warm Up

Bench
135 x 8
185 x 6
225 x 6
275 x 6
315 x 5

Sling Shot
365 x 5
405 x 3

Shirt Work - 3 brd
495 x 5
550 x 3
585 x 2
605 x 3

Tricep Pushdown
4 sets to failure

DB Side Raise
4 sets of 10

Great work tonight, i wanted to get some volume in and for me that was a good amount of sets and a little more reps in my warm up sets to pre fatigue all my benching muscles. Felt good and the shirt was giving me some pop and i felt great locking it out and holding the wt in my hands.

~Costa~
Shut up and Bench
Old 10-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #60
Ricardo Costa

Back:
Wed 10-5-11

Shrugs
3 sets of 15
** Super Set w/
EZ curl
3 sets of 8