Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Andres Luzardo

Default Snatch Form Critique

Hey everyone, first post on the forum. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could give me any assistance with my snatch technique as I haven't had much coaching experience, mainly been reading a lot and attempting the lifts as best as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSp2ENnkJ18

One thing I noticed after making the video was that I was shooting the hips a little too quick and my chest was falling behind throwing the bar forward. Usually I start much lower but I wanted to try a set up with the higher hip.

Thanks.
Andres Luzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Bee Brian

Your starting position is fine. You don't have to worry about it that much.

I think the way you pull is perfect. VERY explosive.

You just need more agility to catch the bar quickly.

I say stick to doing full snatches and minimize power snatches as they will reinforce the habit of overpulling with no ducking under.
Bee Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Bee Brian

I continued watching up to your 62-kg attempt.

It definitely is evident that what you need to work on quickness in the "duck-under."
Bee Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 AM   #4
Spencer Mackay

You should probably start lower. Looking at your build this would help you get the most out of your legs and hips when breaking the bar from the ground. If you could get your hips down and your chest up that would help.

Also, in the set try to have your arms hanging vertical down to the bar. It looks like your shoulders are slightly forward in the video. Coming off the ground, move onto your heels and pull the bar back. This will help create the inward bar path that we're looking for.

Now on to the important stuff, where are you lifting? Looks fantastic, certainly better than some spit and sawdust gym with snot on the floor etc.
Spencer Mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Andres Luzardo

Brian thanks for the help, I will definitely start practicing more the ducking under. I remember when I got coached the guy would make me do a drill called tall snatches to just practice moving under the bar with barely any pull. I will get back to doing a lot of those.

Spencer, I usually do a very low start but I read recently that higher hip allows for better leverage so I though i might try it out. It definitely feels different but I will keep trying both to see which one gets me a more explosive pull.
You mentioned the shoulders begin forward and I have always been confused about what to do with them exactly, should I pull them back more?

I lift right in front of my apartment haha, only concrete around the place and I don't have space to lift inside.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Spencer Mackay

Andres, I think if you could start with your shoulders directly over the bar, this would put you in a position to then pull the bar inwards on separation from the floor, which in turn makes most efficient use of the body's leverage systems.

It is the same idea with a lower start. As you suggest, certain moment arms will be longer in a higher start, but because the hips are higher, the joints of the leg and hip are not as flexed and they contribute less to the movement. If you can sit lower these powerful joints will be heavily flexed, particularly the hip, and more force will be exerted as you extend them.
Spencer Mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Andres Luzardo

Thanks a lot for explaining Spencer, will definitely try to maintain the shoulders above the bar and have more flexion to see how it affects my overall lifting.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Pete Gordon

Overall buddy your technique isn't bad. Give yourself a nice pat on the back and a cool glass of died lemonade.

I'll give you the good and the bad...good news is that you don't jump backwards (much) which is something a lot of weightlifters do. At my club we encourage lifters to jump forward...though only 1 or 2 inches when catching the bar. You've done the next best thing...staying stationary.

I also noticed that when you fall under the bar, it does get a little in front of you. Not too badly, but enough to notice. To fix it (if you want to), obviously power snatches & high pulls can be done...working towards having the bar as close to your chest as possible.

P.s. nice training area!!!!!
Pete Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Andres Luzardo

Thanks Pete, I will try to keep the bar closer and dipping a bit faster like Brian Mentioned
Old 08-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Rob Brice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gordon View Post
At my club we encourage lifters to jump forward...though only 1 or 2 inches when catching the bar. You've done the next best thing...staying stationary.

Can you explain this a bit more? I always thought exploding early (and jumping forward) is something that should be avoided?
Rob Brice is offline   Reply With Quote