Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Adee Zukier

Red face Just a Girl Looking to get Strong

Hey Everyone!

Thought I would introduce myself as I plan on logging my workouts here!

My name is Adee Zukier. I am a 21 year old female studying at the University of Guelph (Honours Psychology) looking to someday become an Elementary School teacher. However, outside of my educational life I am a fitness enthusiast.

My love of fitness began in 2007 when I decided that my unhealthy weight, and sedentary life was cramping my style. I went from 167.8 lb to 125 (I am 5"6) in just over 4 months from exercise at the local globo gym and dialling in my nutrition. For the next 3 years I continued to run on treadmills and follow a typical bicep-back, triceps-chest, legs-shoulders routine. Eventually, I got bored and would beg my boyfriend to make-up workouts for me. Frustrated and annoyed with me, he told me about this website called crossfit.com that posts a workout everyday and I should just follow that.

I began following main page CrossFit in 2010 and saw enormous changes in my fitness capacity (I was a total beginner). Soon after I joined my local affiliate CrossFit Guelph and became obsessed as most do with the sport of fitness that is CrossFit. I am now a CrossFit Trainer at CrossFit Guelph and Vaughan Strength and Conditioning which offers CrossFit programming amongst powerlifting and olympic weightlifting programs.

Today I am 135-140 lbs. depends on what I ate that day and how hard my workout was. I attribute the 10 lb weight gain to merely the change in my strength training. I switched from targeting specific muscles like in a bicep curl or a quad curl on the machine and began full body functional movements that increased the firmness and mass in ALL my muscles! LADIES!!! The idea that strength training makes you "jacked" is a myth!!

What brings me here? CrossFit is an awesome thing because it introduces people like me to parts of fitness that otherwise I would have never attempted to try. The first time I saw someone snatch, I actually think it was a snatch balance, I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. The speed, power, accuracy and grace that is encompassed by an experienced weightlifter is something that inspires me everyday. So of course I love CrossFit but I have decided to take a step back and focus on some fundamentals. I truly believe that getting strong is the hardest part of CrossFit. Strength takes time, dedication, and patience whereas "gas" comes easy (easier).

I have heard amazing things about Catalyst Athletics programming and so here I begin my journey to strength.

I am lacking a workout partner and will be posting videos looking for critiques, and asking questions when I am confused!! I would love any help you can give!!

Thanks for letting me introduce myself!!
Adee Zukier
Adee Zukier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Adee Zukier

Default Monday December 12, 2011

Not sure how to make a new page to this so I will log my first day of training here.

Adee Zukier
Female
137 lb

Personal Bests
Snatch: 115 lb
Clean: 160 lb
Clean and Jerk: 145 lb
Jerk: 145 lb

Goals
Snatch 135 lb
Clean 200 lb
Clean and Jerk 180 lb

Todays Workout - went light just to test volume

3 position Snatch - 65lb
-made all 5 sets - no real issues
-started from the hang and then knee and then floor to get comfortable

2 Power Jerk + 1 Jerk - 80lb
-made all 5 sets - no real issues

Snatch Pull - 90lb
- this is where I found issues
- I did not now if the pulls were touch and go so my first set of 5 I did touch and go and found my form was affected by the 4th attempt and for the next 4 sets reset for each pull limiting reset time
- i found the movement slightly awkward

- rest in between each lifting set I timed to be 30 seconds. I don't know if this is too much or too little. Any thoughts? I wanted to make sure that rest time was constant.

4 sets - no rest
300m row and 15 push ball
- 10:05 - nice and easy pace
Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Adee Zukier

Default Tuesday December 13, 2011

Day 2, and I. Am. Sore!

Yesterday wore on me more then I had expected but I warmed up for a good 20 minutes and went at it again this morning!

Weigh in : 140lb - ate a lot last night - workout yesterday made me hungry!!!

Snatches x 1 x 5
Warm Up
5 x 35lb
3 x 55lb
2 x 65lb
Work Set
1 x 80lb
1 x 80lb
1 x 80lb
1 x 80lb
1 x 80lb
- missed life #4 so i made 4/5
- I feel like the bar was not close enough to my body and I caught it a bit forwards and was unable to save the lift nor was I willing to try. O well.
- snatches felt pretty good, felt like I was getting under the bar nice and fast

Clean and Jerks x 1 x 5
Warm Up
5 x 65
3 x 85
2 x 105
Work Set
1 x 115
1 x 115
1 x 115
1 x 115
1 x 115
- made all reps 5/5 and jerks 5/5
- Jerks felt slow and not very aggressive either I am dipping to low or thinking to much and my split is not very strong
- usually I am more comfortable with the clean then the snatch but today I felt the opposite
- found I was taking a second at the bottom of my front squat before standing back up

REST TIME
30 seconds in between all singles and warm up sets.
This is a good time frame for me keeps my heart rate up and gets me sweating
I don't know if it would be considered too little rest or too much??
I am assuming when we are going for max attempts we should take more rest

Squats x 5 x 5
This was a bit different because I am recently coming off of a strained erector and I find squats to bother the area a little bit
I worked up to 140 and stayed there for all sets
5 x 140
5 x 140
5 x 140
5 x 140
5 x 140
1 squats felt pretty good, first two reps were nice and easy, last three i felt myself moving my knees back instead of out and this turned into a bit of strippers butt. Maybe contributing to back pain.

REST
for the squats i took 45 seconds in between sets

At this point I was WIPED!! sweating and breathing hard, it felt awesome!!

Good mornings 3 x 8
I am very uncomfortable with the movement so i decided t do back extensions instead with some Glute Ham Raises. I hope this was a good substitute!!

Hope I can make it to tomorrow!!!
off to eat!! yummmmm

Adee
Old 12-14-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Derek Simonds

Adee glad you are here. There are a lot of really strong people on this website and I am sure that they will be able to offer lots of good tips. Best of luck with your goals. I look forward to following along with your progress.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Adee Zukier

Unhappy Wednesday December 14, 2011

Thanks Derek!

I am looking forward to being part of the community taking advantage of all the strength in this forum!!
I am going to be treating myself to some form of video camera this holiday season and hopefully figure out how to upload some videos for critiquing. Any suggestions on type of camera? Flipcam? Whatever would be most compatible for this site I guess.

Today

Hamstrings, Glutes, Adductors, and Traps... Oh My!!!!
I. Am. So. Sore.

I have only completed 2 days of programming and I am beat!! I tried to merely do an air squat and I could not maintain my lumbar support in the bottom of the squat. I decided, after much debate, that today is going to have to be a rest day.

As an athlete and coach a valuable lesson that I have learned is to listen to your body!!!!

It pains me to miss out on a heavy snatch balance day as that is my favourite movement of all

I think I will do todays programming tomorrow and just do the Front Squats x 3 x 3 Friday preparing myself for whatever is to come on Saturday.

Crazy how sad I get when I need to rest.

Off to do some mobility!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Derek Simonds

Check out Chile's log. He videos every training session and I think he uses a Flip Cam. His log is Eddie's quest for gorilla strength.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Adee Zukier

Default Thursday December 15, 2011

I think I am going to try and find a way to upload videos without using Youtube. I found a quicktime conversion for mac and once I get a camera I will manage a way to upload quicktime videos on here!

Today

A long day of studying and then at 5 and 6 o'clock it is my day to run the classes at CrossFit Guelph so today I had to workout a bit later then usual.

Still a bit sore but I just could not stay away from the barbells and plates and dumbbells!! AHH!!!

Today because I rested yesterday I did yesterdays programming

3 Position Clean x 5 sets
- all sets were done at 85 lbs - still keeping it a bit lighter then the actual percentages of my max until I get used to the volume.
- Cleans felt pretty good, elbows could be faster
- I find the hardest part for me is coming up out of the hole rather then getting under the bar. Front squats tomorrow should help with that!

Clean Pulls x 5 x 5
- all sets at 115lb
- this i found to be THE most awkward movement of all. When it was snatch pull my elbows continued to move high and outside however in a clean pull i found it much more awkward because the bar popped slightly off my hips and my elbows weren't moving high and outside.
- I guess the more I do it the better I will get
- Have watched the demo video maybe 3000 times in slow motion and full speed .. argghhhhh!!!

Snatch Balance - Heavy Single
65 x 3
85 x 2
105 x 1
115 x 1
125 Fail
125 Fail

I found that I was extremely slow once the weight gets heavier and at 115 I had to ride the bar down much more then I would have liked.
This could be because I hesitate and am a little bit nervous. I lost the bar forwards on both attempts at 125. I need to be more aggressive with the dip and drive and just push under!!!

5 min
3 Box jump - 24" box with a standard 45lb bumper plate on top i would guess 27"?
8 Dumbell Push Press at 25lb per arm
max pullups

completed 3 full rounds 4 pullups in the first then 3 and 3 (strict dead hang) and finished the box jumps and push press in the 4th round. I had pretty week pull-ups

Till next time!! Last exam tomorrow and then winter break where I will have nothing but time to focus on my lifting!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
Adee Zukier

Default Friday December 16, 2011

Tried to catch up on some stuff I missed from taking a rest day.

Front Squat x 3 x 3
- 125 lbs
this was relatively easy except pains me a bit because at the beginning of the summer before I hurt myself I was front squatting 5 x 3 at 165lbs!!
Just need to squat more I guess!

Core
3 x 20 situps
3 x 60 second front and side planks
2 x 10 GHD situps
Ring L-sits and Leg raises

If anyone has a better core routine for me I would love some suggestions!!

After this I did lots and lots of mobility for the hips, hams, quads, and rolled out the whole body!!
Feeling good and ready to lift heavy tomorrow!
Old 12-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Adee Zukier

Default Saturday December 17, 2011

Today

So excited to lift today!!!

Snatch x 1 x 5 @ 85
increased by 5lbs from last time
5 x 35lb
3 x 55lb
2 x 65lb
1 x 85lb
1 x 85lb
1 x 85lb Failed
1 x 85lb
1 x 85lb

- snatches felt good and fast need to work on the pull from the ground
- kind of splitting the movement up into two slow off the ground and once i reach my 2nd pull I rev up the speed. Would like to make the movements more fluid.

Clean and Jerk x 1 x 5 @ 120
3 x 75lb
2 x 95lb
1 x 115lb
1 x 120lb
1 x 120lb
1 x 120lb
1 x 120lb
1 x 120lb

- I love clean and jerks!!!!!!!! felt more aggressive in the jerk today
- also 5lb up from last time

Pause Squat - heavy triple
- I dont know why but i thought that this was SO MUCH FUN!
worked my way up to 145 for 3 pausing for 3 seconds in the hole.

back is still a bit fragile so i didnt want to do the straight leg deadlifts so instead I did some Glute Ham Raises 3 x 8

Great Day of lifting!!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Keith Miller

Great to see another Oly lifter posting!!

BTW, yes, 30 sec rest is too little. I would increase it to about 1:30 to 2 min if the weight is light.

Where are you located??
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote