Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Alex Europa

Default 200-lbs Snatch Critique

http://vimeo.com/27801579

This is a cross-post from CF.com, but any additional tips would be awesome. I am completely self-coached so I tend to get stuck fairly regularly. I am just starting up an Oly-specific cycle based primarily around Greg's "Classic" program, which is why I pulled this 1RM.

The takeaways that I've received so far are that I need to be more solid in the receiving position and that I need to be overall more aggressive. Here are the questions that I posed over there:

- I already have lots of snatch balances and OHS programmed in, are there any other drills or technique variations that I can use to be more solid at the bottom?

- Turnover speed: What are some good drills to improve this? Muscle Snatches at 60-75%? Scarecrow Snatches?

- Any good drills to improve my speed pulling under the bar? I assume that this is different than merely arm-turnover speed.

Thanks for your time!

- Alex
Alex Europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Matt Foreman

Good looking lift and you've got the potential to lift a lot more. You need to make sure the bar is in contact with your shins before you start the pull off the floor. When you start the pull with the bar separated from the shins, it creates a number of problems.
Matt Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Bee Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
http://vimeo.com/27801579

This is a cross-post from CF.com, but any additional tips would be awesome. I am completely self-coached so I tend to get stuck fairly regularly. I am just starting up an Oly-specific cycle based primarily around Greg's "Classic" program, which is why I pulled this 1RM.

The takeaways that I've received so far are that I need to be more solid in the receiving position and that I need to be overall more aggressive. Here are the questions that I posed over there:

- I already have lots of snatch balances and OHS programmed in, are there any other drills or technique variations that I can use to be more solid at the bottom?

- Turnover speed: What are some good drills to improve this? Muscle Snatches at 60-75%? Scarecrow Snatches?

- Any good drills to improve my speed pulling under the bar? I assume that this is different than merely arm-turnover speed.

Thanks for your time!

- Alex

(I have yet to read your entire post. But I've watched the video.)

You and I have the same lifting problem with the snatch. Don't extend/jump/explode too early. Learn the position first and be patient.
Bee Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Bee Brian

Quote:

Thanks for your time!

- Alex
# 1: More snatches done in proper form.

# 2: More snatches done in proper form.

# 3: Same as numbers 1 and 2.

I don't mean to be a smart aleck. It is something that I believe about training. The best way to improve your technique in a lift is to do that lift as often as you can under strict technique-reinforcement environments. Video tape yourself and watch. Once you spot something, quickly fix it (or at least TRY to fix it) at the next set. Do some hang snatches, power snatches, etcetera with an empty bar or a stick.

When that fails, do segment lifts.

I really don't believe in doing the variations of the lifts. They can only disrupt your progress if you are not the type of person who gets a direct benefit from them.

This is just my two cents. Others may have different ideas.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Bee Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foreman View Post
Good looking lift and you've got the potential to lift a lot more. You need to make sure the bar is in contact with your shins before you start the pull off the floor. When you start the pull with the bar separated from the shins, it creates a number of problems.
Umm, excuse me?

I highly disagree with this. Textbook weightlifting involves having the bar over your toes (may be slightly in front or slightly behind). Now if you are one who has unusually long feet or unusually short feet in relation to your body, it could be different, but the above is the textbook way of doing it.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
Alex Europa

Matt,

I'm not sure what dragged you out of the woodwork to post on my thread, but thanks for the tip. I've read Greg's book twice and somehow managed to miss that little tidbit of info. Sigh. On the plus side, I have a feeling that it's going to help my cleans a ton also...damnit

Brian,

No doubt that doing more reps of the full lifts will help me out greatly. Luckily, the "Classic" program generally has 3 days of the full lifts per week. This is the first time that I've done any "specific" weightlifting in about 3 years other than power cleans/snatches during heavy metcons or the occasional EDT-style workout. Because of that, I'm sure that my speed will get much faster once I get some good, quality work in. I was just curious if anyone had any other specific drills to add in during non-full lift days to build speed or solidness (I don't think that's a word). I appreciate the feedback.

- Alex
Old 08-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
Alex Europa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Brian View Post
(I have yet to read your entire post. But I've watched the video.)

You and I have the same lifting problem with the snatch. Don't extend/jump/explode too early. Learn the position first and be patient.
I'm not tracking here...could you provide an example?

- Alex
Old 08-18-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Spencer Mackay

Quote:
Matt,

I was just curious if anyone had any other specific drills to add in during non-full lift days to build speed or solidness (I don't think that's a word).

- Alex
Solidity! Job!
Spencer Mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
Bee Brian

Quote:
I'm not tracking here...could you provide an example?

- Alex

To make an elaborate post short... Just learn the hang snatch from the vertical-torso position and learn how to "put yourself in that position."

It's as simple as that. But if you want me to elaborate further, just say the word.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
Shane Skowron

The back could use more arch at the start and 1st pull.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote