Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Zach Reed

Default Max Snatch and C&J critique

Looking for some critique from my max snatch and clean and jerks from today.

From my own limited knowledge of lifting, the most glaring issues with the lifts I see are not keeping my weight on my heels in the snatch catch and drive up, and need to catch the bar in a better split position in the jerk (more vertical front leg). Any other comments regarding technique would be greatly appreciated.

Snatches http://vimeo.com/28318444 10# all-time PR on final lift

C&J http://vimeo.com/28319373 20# all-time PR on final lift

Thanks

Last edited by Zach Reed : 08-29-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: af
Zach Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Matt Foreman

You're having problems with keeping your feet flat in the bottom position because you're jumping forward. Think about keeping your bodyweight in the middle of your foot/keeping your shoulders over the bar just a little longer before you bring the bar to your hips and extend into the finish of the pull. It's an easy fix that you should be able to clear up with practice. And work on your upper body flexibility a little more in the snatch position.

Looks good overall. You're a good athlete and you have some tools.
Matt Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Zach Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foreman View Post
You're having problems with keeping your feet flat in the bottom position because you're jumping forward. Think about keeping your bodyweight in the middle of your foot/keeping your shoulders over the bar just a little longer before you bring the bar to your hips and extend into the finish of the pull. It's an easy fix that you should be able to clear up with practice. And work on your upper body flexibility a little more in the snatch position.

Looks good overall. You're a good athlete and you have some tools.
Thanks for the comments. I know it's hard to tell through a video but do you think that it's the shoulders that need the most flexibility work?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Matt Foreman

In the snatch, yeah. From that angle, the bar doesn't look like it's quite stable enough overhead. It looks like you're having to work to keep the bar overhead, instead of it looking like it's just locked over the ears. That's often because the shoulders/shoulder girdle is a little tight and the bar is wanting to pull forward. At least that's what it looks like from these particular videos.
Matt Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Zach Reed

anyone else...
Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

Real quick for the snatch -

Flexibility all around - ankle, hip and upper back/shoulders. You need to be able to sit into that squat without your feel rolling in and do it comfortably. Spiderman lunges and russian baby makers all day long. And sit in a squat any chance you get. While down there, keeping your foot flat on the ground, lean both arms on one knee and close the ankle as much as possible. hold that stretch for a minute or so and do that as often as possible.

Shoulders are definitely a bit tight as well, although some of that will improve when you can sit in better in that squat and the weight isn't pulling you forward from being off balance during the lift (this is true for the squat as well like Matt said). All manner of pec stretches, hang from bar and push your chest through, snatch press, etc.

As far as the lift itself goes - the main problem is that you're shifting forward into the bar as it passes your knees. Stay back on your heels and stay over the bar until it's up in your hips. Always think of pushing the bar back into your hips rather than moving your hips to the bar (even though the hips do move forward as they extend).

You do a good job of getting under it, keeping it pretty close, etc., but your weight is off balance before then, so you are going to keep getting pulled forward like that and be unstable in the bottom until you correct the balance issue during the pull. Try halting snatch deadlifts or segment deadlifts/pulls, and then combine those w snatches in a complex. I have seen a lot of success making lifters do a segment pull or two followed by a snatch. Pull to the knee, pause 2 sec, pull to the hip, pause 2 sec, finish pull, return to floor, snatch. You can add a pause 1" off the floor as well if you want and eventually reduce it down to a pause at the hip only.

Congrats on the PR.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
Greg Everett
Administrator

BTW, it looks like you're looking at the floor during at least the initial pull. Find a focal point straight ahead or slightly above and maintain it throughout the lift. Looking down can encourage you to shift forward like you're doing; in any case, changing your focal point during the lift is disorienting. A constant focal point will allow you to orient yourself in space better and maintain better balance.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Greg Everett
Administrator

OK, CJ -

First, nice work on another PR. Now I will pick on you:

Everything I said about the snatch applies here. Better hip and ankle flexibility will give you a more solid and balanced squat and allow you to lift much more.

Just like w the snatch, you're shifting into the bar as it passes your knees. This gets your balance too far forward and also gets your shoulders behind the bar too soon, which limits your power at the top of the pull. The halting/segment DL/Pull will help here too.

The bar swings out a bit as you're finishing and starting to pull under, which will not only continue pulling you forward out of balance, but will greatly slow the turnover. Engage your back off the floor and continue pushing the bar into yourself as you finish and pull under.

Jerk - you have a good split position and a knack for getting yourself under the bar, which is a really good start. But again, you let your weight shift forward as you dip and drive, which pushes the bar forward and forces you to chase it. When you get set to jerk, take in your air, tighten up, tighten your quads, and shift all the way back on your heels. Stay all the way back - feel the pressure on your heels through the whole dip and then drive through the heels on the way up - think of pushing the bar backward slightly to position it over the back of your neck.

When you're in that split, aim to have your weight balanced pretty evenly between the front and back foot - you should be able to recover by stepping back a 1/3 of the way with the front foot. Having to step forward to recover is a good indicator for you that your weight is too heavy on the front foot.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 08-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Bee Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Reed View Post
anyone else...
My turn.

Starting position:

Although it is important to have an arched and tight torso when pulling initially, you should never use that as a compensation for letting the bar start in front of you (which is very apparent with your snatches).

The reason why you are forced to catch the weight (with the snatches) out in front is because the barbell trajectory is forward. Although I do not recommend you to purposely jump backwards when exploding, you are way better off jumping backwards than keeping your current habit as it is.

That, I believe, is the biggest issue with your snatches.

For the Cleans...

Same note with the snatches. Make sure your shoulders are in front of the bar before the second and third pull. Also, be patient with the third pull. You extend your legs prematurely...
Bee Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Zach Reed

Awesome. Thanks for the tips everyone.

I lift on my own, so any advice/nitpicking/ pointers/ect. is much appreciated.