Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
John Adams

Default On a heavy single day...question RE workout

I'm a refugee from Crossfit and I can't thank you enough for your training cycles. Found Catalyst through the Paleo podcast. What a life saver you've been for a 40 year old body that was having some real problems with overtraining. Who knew that rest was such an important part of training? (I mean, who besides lots of people.)

Anyways, here's my question. I'm about half way through one of your cycles. On a day with let's say, 3 different lifts that are "heavy single," is that it for the day? Should I work up to find that heavy single? Or, after dynamic warmup and once ready, should I just find that heavy single number and do it?

I ask because for example today, after and before rest days, I've got a workout that is scheduled to be 3 heavy singles in different lifts. And that seems like not so much work...after dynamic warmup, I could be done with that in 5 minutes. And that's totally cool...I really trust your methodology. But I want to make sure I understand that on a day like this, I'm doing that one lift.

Believe me, I will be working on form and mobility and a million other low intensity things with my gym time...but I'm just confirming that I understand it right.
John Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

You should not be able to achieve a heavy single without warm-up sets; and trying to is a good way to hurt yourself. How you get there is largely up to you, and it will depend on how technically sound you are and how heavy you're capable of going. If you snatch 100 kg, for example, your heavy single workout may look like:

bar work
40 x 3 x 2
60 x 2 x 2
80 x 1 x 2
85 x 1
90 x 1
95 x 1

So that's 9 sets. Now if your max is considerably lower because you're not technically proficient yet, you can add some more lifts to these heavy single days. For example, you may find 80-90% of your best is not too tough because the limiter is technique rather than strength. In such a case, you may want to do 3-6 singles there instead of calling it quits after you reach it the first time. Another option would be to do waves or segments, e.g after you work up, go back down to 80%-85%-90% 2-3 times.

On squats, heavy singles should be kept to minimal volume. Do as much as you need to get warm with lighter weights, then start moving up toward your heaviest for the day with singles only.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
John Adams

Greg,

Thanks. I bought your book recently.

That is helpful. I was not jumping straight to a heavy lift but that buildup progression paints a more complete picture of how to get to the heavy single. Excellent help.

Steve
Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
John Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Greg,

Thanks. I bought your book recently.

That is helpful. I was not jumping straight to a heavy lift but that buildup progression paints a more complete picture of how to get to the heavy single. Excellent help.

Steve
And yes, for me technique and flexibility are my limiters so I don't go to 100% in most lifts.