Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #11
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbis View Post
Weight is around 175 lbs, roughly 10% BF @ 6'4".

I know BCAAs before, during, and after is a good thing. What about the whey, grape juice, and creatine? Should I just dump that stuff into my last 1/3 of BCAAs post-workout?
Just to have all the numbers down, your workout shake consists of the following:
44 grams protein
35 grams BCAA
12 grams creatine
47 grams carbs

That sounds about right for your bodyweight maybe a little bit more grape juice since you are trying to gain weight right now and it is in your workout window.

I would opt for just taking it as you are but adding the creatine at the end along with some more water in the shake. I'm assuming it's convenient for you to do so?

Pre workout:
1/3 protein
1/3 carbs
1/3 BCAA

during workout:
1/3 protein
1/3 carbs
1/3 bcaa

postworkout:
1/3 protein
1/3 carb
1/3 BCAA
12 grams creatine + water
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #12
Chris Forbis

Allen - Thanks for the feedback. I may tinker with adding more grape juice.

Mike - Not counting a weekly trip to the Chinese buffet and any random trips out for beer and wings, I'll average about 280g of protein (1.6g/lb) a day as I have it planned now. I'm going to see how I do keeping the carb intake pretty low. I haven't found a good way of integrating significant amounts of carbohydrate without throwing my GI tract out of whack. I'm not too worried about fat gain right now. Just want to add strength, particularly in the squat.

Elliot - Already I'm doing no metcon work. Calories are going to be pretty high, 4500 a day or so (not counting a weekly Chinese buffet trip and random bar trips). I can easily bump that up to 5600 by eliminating any semblance of IF. I'm trying to see if I can put on weight while retaining how great I felt on my prior eating plan, so for now I'm keeping the food options relatively clean and trying to keep the IF around.

And let me say, a can of coconut milk + 3 scoops MRM metabolic whey (chocolate) is absolutely awesome. 1100 calories, tastes pretty good, and you can easily down it in a few minutes.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
Elliot Royce

Chris:

Wouldn't it make more sense to just cut out everything that is taking away from your mass gain (like IF) and just see if you can add 5-10lbs over the next 2 months doing Starting Strength religiously and eating clean but heavy?

I am gradually learning that, in exercise as well as many things, trying to do more than a few things can lead to poorer performance. If you can show that you can gain 5-10 lbs of LBM in 2 months, then you can choose how to proceed afterwards.

I know personal experience is subjective but I find that the mass gain doesn't kick in until after a couple of days of eating high calories. And I think it needs to be sustained for the mass to become permanent.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:24 AM   #14
Chris Forbis

I'm still getting 4000 calories on my IF days, it just happens to come after going 17 hours without food.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #15
Chris Forbis

13 March 2007

Warmup
Z-Health R-Phase

Back Squat
45 x 5 x 1
70 x 4 x 1
100 x 3 x 1
130 x 2 x 1

160 x 5 x 2
160 x 3 x 1 (each set followed by 5 vertical leaps, then 1 min rest)

Didn't feel like I had two more left in the tank... I'll stay at this weight for Thursday.

Bench Press
45 x 5 x 1
70 x 4 x 1
100 x 3 x 1
130 x 2 x 1

155 x 5 x 3 (1 min rest between sets)

Moving up to 160 next time...

Power Clean (all warmup weights done as 3-position)
45 x 3 x 1
65 x 3 x 1
90 x 3 x 1
115 x 3 x 1

135 x 5 x 3 (from floor)

Moving up to 140, maybe 145 next time.

I'm not sure about the pre-workout shake... I'm used to working on an empty stomach and it throws me off a little. I might cut it down to BCAAs only pre and during, and then throw the other stuff in after.

My meal 1 hour post-workout has been very difficult to finish. May try tinkering with the composition (or quantity) of that so I can finish it.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #16
Mike ODonnell

Hate to say it....but trying to put on weight is going to require pretty much forcing the calories down...may not be fun...but it is neccessary....esp PWO...just keep in mind it's a short term sacrifice....you can always go back to eating less later on and try to maintain...but for now...shove it down....
Old 03-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #17
Chris Forbis

I literally could not eat anymore. I might try to make it a liquid meal, some type of carb-heavy protein shake that I can easily force down.

I also figure part of it is my body getting used to all the food, since my average daily intake was a shade below 3000 cals before.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #18
Elliot Royce

Have you had your thyroid tested for hyperthyroidism? It seems inconceivable that you would have a teaching job (sedentary), eat 4500 calories daily, lift weights rigorously, and remain at 175lbs. Perhaps it will just require more time for the changes you've made to take effect but you might want to rule out thyroid problems.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #19
Chris Forbis

This week really started the first of the 4000+ stuff. If I'm still stuck at 175 in a couple weeks, then I might ask my doc to check my thyroid (I need to schedule a physical anyway).
Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #20
Chris Forbis

15 March 2007

Late workout today (11am instead of 5am) because I was out drinking last night with coworkers to celebrate the end of the quarter...

Warmup
Z-Health Neural Warm Up Level 1

Back Squat
45 x 5 x 1
70 x 4 x 1
100 x 3 x 1
130 x 2 x 1

160 x 5 x 3 (5 VJ immediately following each set, then 1 minute rest)

Press
45 x 5 x 1
60 x 4 x 1
80 x 3 x 1
100 x 2 x 1

120 x 5 x 3 (1 minute rest between sets)

Deadlift
135 x 5 x 1
170 x 4 x 1
185 x 3 x 1
210 x 2 x 1

235 x 5 x 1

Weighted Pullups
15 x 5 x 3

Sprints
30yd x 3