Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Matt Morris

Default clean and jerk technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgOiuUt77_0

looking for feedback on my C/J. This is a PR and the first day I tried the hook grip.
Matt Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Matt Foreman

You definitely don't have a strength problem, that's for sure. Clean looks really nice. In the jerk, you've got your elbows down pretty low when you're setting up for the dip/drive. That might be a flexibility issue? You look like a big guy and all that beef in the shoulder girdle might make it hard to have a good solid rack with the elbows up a little more. The low elbows are contributing to the jumping-forward of your jerk. I would try to get the bar a little more solid against the base of your throat with the elbows up a little more than they are, dip through the heels, and try to punch yourself straight under the bar without the forward movement. I don't know if that'll be possible from a flexibility standpoint, but visually it's what it looks like you need to do.
Matt Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Matt Morris

Hi Matt, Thanks for the feedback! I really enjoy your articles, by the way.

I definitely have some flexibility issues in my front rack position, and also feel much more comfortable with my elbows down to help me press under the bar after the initial pop. Should I wait until after the bar is in the air to make that transition?

Thanks again!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Matt Foreman

I had a feeling it was probably a flexibility problem. Guys with a lot of upper body mass often have trouble getting the elbows up and also keeping the hand closed on the bar at the same time. If sounds like your flexibility basically forces you to have your elbows down in that position when you're setting up to dip-drive your jerk. If that's the case, I would just try to keep concentrating on dipping through the heels and punching under the bar with minimal jump forward (and continuing to work on flexibility to improve the whole thing). With your strength level, I wouldn't be surprised if you're ready for 160 soon.

Glad you like the articles man. Keep training hard!
Matt Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

I second what matt said.

I like the elbows down in prep for the jerk, but always at least a little in front of the bar. Yours are almost directly underneath it, which is going to tend to make you push the bar forward. I would try to raise them just a little.

But there is definitely a flexibility issue because that's 152 kg and it's floating above your shoulders. Experiment with some different grip widths and slightly higher elbows and you might be able to get the bar to actually sit on your shoulders. Or the only solution might be more flexibility.

When you dip for the jerk, stay back on your heels - you shift forward on your feet and then push the bar forward and jump forward to stay under it. When you get set to jerk, shift back completely on the heels and stay there as you bend only at the knees. Drive back up with the weight still over your heels and aim to drive the bar over the back of your neck.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
Matt Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
aim to drive the bar over the back of your neck.
I really like this cue...I'll be thinking about this (along with dipping and driving on my heals) this week!

Thanks guys!!!