Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Bryan Boorstein

Default Hang Snatch 1 RM for Competition

Hey guys. So I am competing in the NLI CrossFit competition this weekend. They just released the workouts. One of them is "4 min to find 1 RM Hang Snatch."

The rules are that you must snatch deadlift the weight all the up to pockets, then you can lower the bar down as low as you want, as long as the bar doesn't touch the ground.

I've never really done a 1 RM for this exercise before, so I have a couple questions.

1. What should I target for my 1 RM as a percentage of my max full snatch?

2. Is there any benefit to lowering the weight below the knee before beginning the rep? My initial thought was that the low hang would allow me to generate the most power, since I figured going below the knee may put me an awkward position to begin from. Then I thought about it further, and if I can maintain proper positioning, I could see below the knee allowing for more generation of power. What do you guys think? Any experience with this movement?

The other interesting factor is that they are basing your score for this off of your bodyweight. Score is lbs lifted divided by bodyweight. Adds an interesting twist, because it takes a strength movement and makes it favor a smaller athlete, in a sense. A guy that weighs 160 lbs and hang snatches 185 is better off than a 200 lb athlete snatching 225... Kinda sucks.

Anyways, curious on thoughts and any advice that you may have for me on how to hit the largest number here.

Thanks

Bryan
Bryan Boorstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

1. Totally depends on your technical ability. Some people can lift more from a hang position than from the floor. I would experiment quickly with lighter weights and see how comfortable you feel. But worst case scenario, I would expect at least 80% of your best.

2. I would go below the knees a couple inches. That keeps you above the most awkward and taxing position (which is the first inches from the floor) but gives you the most time and distance to accelerate the bar. However, if you don't feel comfortable from there and can't do it well, you're probably better off going from just above the knees. And don't stop at that point - come down from the top to the hang position and go right away so you can get a bit of a stretch reflex. Just make sure you get your balance and position perfect.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Bryan Boorstein

Thanks a lot Greg. The advice was very helpful!

I worked on this movement today. At first, it felt extremely awkward, but I had some great coaching today, and was able to move to decent weight. PR full snatch is 230 lbs, and I don't know that I am comfortable enough with the movement to hit that kind of weight from the hang at the competition on Saturday... but I did hit 215 on my first try. Video link is below. I know I jumped backwards slightly, and my head is still being thrown too far back, but any critique is welcome

http://www.youtube.com/user/BBoor82?.../0/CZ2UcByNTNA
Bryan Boorstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Keith Miller

Bryan, that looks pretty good to me!! 215 from the hang is solid with only a 230 max!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Steve Pan
Administrator

Try picking a point on the wall and keeping your eyes straight ahead as you finish that pull. The other thing that will help is to think about extending straight up and driving straight through the ground rather than laying back too much. I would try a couple jumps before your lift, focusing on jumping straight up and keeping your head straight.

Part of the reason not to throw the head back in addition to preventing you from being disoriented is also to help you change directions quickly. If you over extend you are not putting any extra drive into the bar and not giving yourself the best chance of locking that bar out and stabilizing it over head. Part of thinking about extending straight up should also be to change directions from that extension point as quick as possible.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your competition.
Steve Pan is offline   Reply With Quote