Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
jarrod dodson

Default Clean/Snatch pulls

Hello all, I'm looking for some ideas.

I'm only able to get into the gym 2-3 times a week and I'm on a pretty limited time table at those times. Most of my weightlifting work that I'm doing is at the house with my limited amount of equipment.

Here is my dilemma:
I really need to work on generating speed on my first pull and I figure that one of the best ways to do this would to put some clean/snatch pulls into my programming.

The problem is that I only have metal plates and as we all know, they don't bounce very well. To compound the problem, I typically will workout after the kids have gone to bed. So pulling and dropping a 155# bar isn't exactly conducive to keeping two curious children in their beds!

Do you think I can draw the same benefit from a clean/snatch pull if I just hang onto the bar and ride it back down--gently?

Any thoughts?

and yes a set of bumpers is on my Christmas list.

Thanks!
jarrod dodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Keith Miller

First, I'm not sure why you need to increase speed in the first pull. Do you mean strength?? The first pull is not about how fast you pull/break the bar off the floor. It's more about control and setting up for the second pull (above the knees). The second pull is where the speed/acceleration comes in. If you break the bar off the floor with too much speed, you can lose your positions and bad things happen (i.e. you lose the lift).

Second, there is nothing wrong with hanging on to a pull and lowering it after reps. I do this all the time. I know there are some people who prefer to pull and then let the bar drop, but not me!! Maybe this holds me back?? I don't think so as I can pull more than I can snatch right now.
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
jarrod dodson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
First, I'm not sure why you need to increase speed in the first pull. Do you mean strength?? The first pull is not about how fast you pull/break the bar off the floor. It's more about control and setting up for the second pull (above the knees). The second pull is where the speed/acceleration comes in. If you break the bar off the floor with too much speed, you can lose your positions and bad things happen (i.e. you lose the lift).

Second, there is nothing wrong with hanging on to a pull and lowering it after reps. I do this all the time. I know there are some people who prefer to pull and then let the bar drop, but not me!! Maybe this holds me back?? I don't think so as I can pull more than I can snatch right now.
Maybe speed isn't the best way to describe it. Basically I feel sluggish and slow starting the pulls on heavy (for me) O-lifts. I am wanting to try and generate more explosive power and it feels like it starts in the first pull--you are probably correct that it is more setting up for the second lift more than anything.

Thanks for the feedback!
jarrod dodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Manuel Buitrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod dodson View Post
Maybe speed isn't the best way to describe it. Basically I feel sluggish and slow starting the pulls on heavy (for me) O-lifts. I am wanting to try and generate more explosive power and it feels like it starts in the first pull--you are probably correct that it is more setting up for the second lift more than anything.

Thanks for the feedback!
I think you are correct about speed: http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sporti...ticles011.html

Use straps to control the weight in your hands so it doesnt slip away from you.
Manuel Buitrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

Jarrod -

A few suggestions for strengthening the first pull

1. Pause back squats

2. Snatch/clean deadlifts to knee

3. Snatch/clean deadlifts on a riser

4. Floating snatch/clean deadlifts

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote