Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
Clayton Mac

Default Knee Sleeves

Quick question...I've done some searching but can't find where to purchase a pair of those blue sleeves I see a lot of lifters wearing on their knees. Anyone know of a good place to look?

Thanks!
Clayton Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Manuel Buitrago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Mac View Post
Quick question...I've done some searching but can't find where to purchase a pair of those blue sleeves I see a lot of lifters wearing on their knees. Anyone know of a good place to look?

Thanks!
Here: http://jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?cat_id=RH
Manuel Buitrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Clayton Mac

Thanks a lot. That is exactly what I was looking for. Any specific recommendations? What do you use?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

The old blue ones are nice, but I've come to prefer the new gray ones (7751 model). They're shorter, which I don't like because they tend to move more, but the thickness I think is better. With squats, the thickness of the blue sleeves can be a bit too much when it bunches up behind the knee in the bottom position and I think can actually irritate the knees a little. Doesn't bother everyone by any means, but I've noticed it myself and don't have that problem with the thinner ones.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Marcus Herou

Quote:
Thanks a lot. That is exactly what I was looking for. Any specific recommendations? What do you use?
I use both. The grey one on my left and the blue one on my right
Marcus Herou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Clayton Mac

Wink

Lol...Nice Matt...may have to try that.

I was towards the grey. It mentions that for a d tight fit to order a size smaller. Is that something you would recommend to prevent the movement?

Also, I am thinking of getting an elbow sleeve too. my left one gets pretty sore and takes some time to warm up to the front rack. Are elbow sleeves used much? Any experience with using them or should I just warm up more?
Old 12-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Keith Miller

Quote:
Lol...Nice Matt...may have to try that.

I was towards the grey. It mentions that for a d tight fit to order a size smaller. Is that something you would recommend to prevent the movement?

Also, I am thinking of getting an elbow sleeve too. my left one gets pretty sore and takes some time to warm up to the front rack. Are elbow sleeves used much? Any experience with using them or should I just warm up more?
Personally I would try and warm up more!! In competition you can wear knee sleeves, but NOT elbow sleeves. Something to keep in mind!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Clayton Mac

True...thanks for the insight Keith. I'm nowhere near competitive level, but still something to consider should I ever choose to dabble in it later. Right now I just enjoy the challenge of learning a new sport. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
Keith Miller

Quote:
True...thanks for the insight Keith. I'm nowhere near competitive level, but still something to consider should I ever choose to dabble in it later. Right now I just enjoy the challenge of learning a new sport. Thanks again for the advice.
No problem!!

And BTW, don't think you have to be "competitive" to compete in this sport!! If you keep waiting until you're competitive, you'll never compete!! So, I say to get out there and get in a comp, you'll learn alot about lifting, your lifts (weaknesses and strengths) and about yourself.
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
Clayton Mac

Well said! Thanks again.