Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Dave Van Skike

Default Practically freaking brilliant.

But did want to plug by way of personal attestation that Rippatoe's practical programming has rocked for me.

I just got back from a session where I hit three PRs, DL 1RM, Squat 3 RM and Press 3 RM. These "sorta maxes", (copyright DJ enterprises) are not notable except that this is the fourth Saturday in a row of at least one PR after switching to the intermediate program from PP. I'm following the "Texas style" periodization template. and doing a lot less volume than I was before.

looks like this:

Mon. Heavy (80-90%)

ladders (1,2,3) of squat and presses
and some heavy RDL's or deadlifts with a snatch grip

Wed light DL (75%1RM) and Front squats, 3x3 (75%) with and push presses 5x5

Saturday is work up to either 1RM or 3RM in all three lifts.

M/W/Sa I also play around with heavy ab work and pullups, Other days I do some OHS for mobility, walking with weighted vest, wee bit of bike riding jump rope. That's about it. Anyone on the fence about switching to a simple strength based program to work towards legit numbers in basic lifts should read up. You can get a similar advice for free but I'd advocate giving Rippatoe some shillings for the complete read.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
Rick Deckart
Banned

Congratulations Dave!

May I ask if you have an online worklog? I am really just curious, I read a lot of worklogs on a more or regular basis.

BTW PP is a kick ass reference and I thought about using the Texas model too, but I have other plans this year which won't allow that...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

Awesomeness. I'm waiting to get my 5 SS lifts to the intermediate numbers and then I'll be buying PP. I'm glad to hear more positive feedback about the book (even though ALL the feedback is positive about both of Rip's books).
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Dave Van Skike

thanks peter. i don't post my log. first, being solidly in the intermediate numbers, i doubt folks would learn much from me and secondly, i'm shy.

chris,

i'd not wait. ss was very helpful for me in addressign form issues but PP has been more useful in the actual application of moving from beginner to intermediate numbers.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Rick Deckart
Banned

I respect that of course Dave, but personally I think online loging workouts has merits if the posted numbers are intermediate and I believe that some people would be probably really interested in seeing a de facto implementation of the Texas method at work, me included. There is lots to learn...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
Dave Van Skike

Ok.
Dave Van Skike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
Jonas Lind

I'm interested too. Looks like I'm doing something like that in the near future.

And, don't worry, your numbers will always beat mine anyways....
Jonas Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
Jesse Woody

Default I second that!

Seeing as how I'm still not bearing any weight on my foot, I haven't implemented the programming yet, but Rip's book is absolutely amazing! I've read through most of the sections 2 or three times, and much like SS, I find something new that I missed every time. This is going to be a HUGE part of my training as well as the training for my clients from now on. Great read and something that everybody interested in performance should have in their library!
Jesse Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #9
Bill Ripley

Anyone see any issues with using the Texas method in an OLY program?
Bill Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote