Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
steve bullock

Default Snatch issue

Hello all, been reading the forums for a while now and happy to have joined!

Wondering if the experts here can help sort out my snatch.

Here's a couple of video's at around 75%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDLitPd3cXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4i3ir11QCw

This one going for 1RM - 70kg - 80% 75kg - 85% 80kg - 90% 85kg - 95% 90kg - 1RM F,F,F,F

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y23jp_Lyqkg

I've since achieved 90 and 92.5kg, but I think the issue is pretty consistent, I seem to leave the bar a little forward in the catch? So find myself chasing it forward, otherwise over compensate behind my heels and lose it that way..

Im on week 12 of one of your Cycles Greg, and my snatch has gone from 80 to 92.5, and clean and jerk from 107.5 to 120kg, so couldnt be happier, but know I can still improve! Just wondering if its more OHS that I should do, or more snatch balances etc..

Any tips appreciated.
steve bullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Steve Pan
Administrator

The first thing I notice on all of your snatches is right as you begin pulling you get very far over the bar. This will cause the weight to get away from you. Some drills to correct this would be segment pulls, halting pulls, and high pulls. Your focus when practicing these drills should be to keep your posture up in that first pull, stay over the bar without unloading your legs completely, keep the bar close (in to your hips), and stay on your heels.

The other thing I notice with your snatches is that you drop your elbows as you pull your self under. This causes your turn over to slow down and also causes you to disconnect from the bar. You want to keep tension against the bar in some way or another so you can put that bar in its place. You can work on this in high pulls, and muscle snatches. The focus here should be keeping the bar close and keeping that tension against the bar while pulling it into place.

I hope this helps! Good luck with training, you have a good start and some tweaks to these things should help you on your way.
Steve Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Keith Miller

In addition to what Steve said, there were a couple of lifts where your back was not flat/arched. It was rounded coming off the floor. You need to get TIGHT when you come off the floor, otherwise the bar will not stay close to you during the pull!!
Keith Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
steve bullock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
In addition to what Steve said, there were a couple of lifts where your back was not flat/arched. It was rounded coming off the floor. You need to get TIGHT when you come off the floor, otherwise the bar will not stay close to you during the pull!!
Thanks for the comments guys.

There's two things already that I hadn't even noticed..

Steve what do you mean by:

"The other thing I notice with your snatches is that you drop your elbows as you pull your self under"

Do you mean my elbows come too far down to catch it or they shouldn't drop at all??

Steve
Old 01-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Steve Pan
Administrator

The elbows shouldn't drop at all as you pull yourself under. So for you there is a slight disconnect between you and the bar as you are pulling under that causes some instability and can potentially become more of a problem at heavier weights.

You should always pull those elbows high and then punch the bar into place, rather than letting the elbows drop and pressing the bar into place. I hope this makes sense. That should be the main focus of muscle snatches and then trying to transfer over that same aggressive turnover into your snatches.

http://www.performancemenu.com/exerc...?exerciseID=96

http://www.performancemenu.com/exerc...exerciseID=201

In those two videos if you watch the elbows they are always ascending, there is never a point where the elbows come back down. You should focus on that same position as you pull yourself under, as to keep tension against the bar and to put it where you want it.

Woo!
Steve Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
steve bullock

That explains it perfectly Steve thanks for the reply.

To be honest I never quite got the point of muscle snatches but you've explained what there meant for now!

I do find I'm often fighting to get the bar stable rather than just having it stick, I think I need to be more aggressive with the pull even at lighter weights so I get used to it rather than being lazy and fighting under the bar because I'm only pulling hard enough to just get under it.

Thanks for the comments