Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 03-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
Nathan Tucker

Default Wife needs a lay (-man's terms)

I have just convinced my wife to get on the IF bandwagon she has lost weight at a healthy rate already and she really enjoys it. However she's getting a lot of questions from people at her work about it. She has hit me up for the intricacies of IF in layman's terms and it doesnt work to just tell her "it works, so do what works" or "it increases your insulin sensitivity and that is just good"

Can someone give me the highlights of the benefits of IF in terms normal typical americans will understand?

some of her questions are:
how soon does my body do this fat-burning ketosis thingy?

is hypoglycemia an issue (assuming youre not diabetic already of course)?

is there any reason why someone who is middle aged could not start fasting ("oh, you're young. You can fast, we're too old for it. young whipper snappers. . . ")

really just something to help her sell this to her intrigued co-workers or at least convince them that she's not just crazy
Nathan Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Robb Wolf

Nathan-
Great questions...This is a tough one IMO. Intermittent fasting can be a dicey proposition in that people CAN skip meals early in the day, make bad food decisions later in the day and things can just spiral out of control.This is actually a description of most of American eating. I think it would be hard as hell to describe the bennies of intermittent fasting in a way people will get. Unfortunately folks are poorly informed and this information is somewhat complex. I have not recommended intermittent fasting to ANY of my clients at our training practice with the exception of one guy who has parkinson's. I sent some info to his doctor and all parties were game for giving it a try. For our general clientele I have not gone anywhere near this for fear of confusion. I have shifted to recommending 3 meals per day...occasionally 4 instead of the Zone/Bodybuilder 6 meals per day, so this is a way I have altered my recommendations to folks.

I usually recommend that people get a firm grasp on paleo/zone eating first. This will establish a baseline of food quality and portion control and this alone can be amazingly effective and beneficial. The base Zone is caloric restricted and can lean people out at a remarkable rate, as can a low carb paleo-esque diet.

Hypoglycemia is not typically a problem so long as food quality is good. If food quality slides I think that can get a little rough. I don't see any age restrictions...life extensions benefits are likely only seen if one adopts this practice early in life but one can garner health benefits at any age.

Convincing the co-workers may be an exercise in futility. It is nearly impossible to convince people that eating protein, veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds is superior to bran muffins and low fat cookies. You can argue...the people argue back. You can throw down a challenge and have them "try it". They will feel better, loose weight...and then back slide because the are "bored". Back to watching American Idol and being Sheeple. Sorry if I'm a bit calloused here but if your wife wants to do it, just do it and her co-workers be damned. If you look at most of the work dynamics you will notice everyone trying to derail the one or two people affecting change. "oh come on....you can have ONE cookie...it wont matter..."

If any of the co-workers are actually interested in this stuff have them call or email me. I'll be nice, I promise.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Jesse Woody

Default Quick question...

Rob, what's the reasoning behind the 3 meals a day recommendation? Is it a method that allows some essence of cyclic caloric intake that somewhat resembles mini-fasts?

Personally, I've never been able to stick with IF for any length of time (i.e. more than 2 days...) I ate 7 meals a day before I ever found bodybuilding, Zone or the like, so that in and of itself was never a big change...the idea of skipping meals makes me hungry just thinking about it
Jesse Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Robert Allison

The Fast Five Diet website (www.fast-5.com) has a free download that is a decent, user-friendly intro to IF. Your wife could send the pdf to her co-workers. If they are really interested, there is a ton of info on the web, not to mention the offer of a free consult with IF guru Robb Wolf

Having said that, I second Robb's recommendation to start with paleo/zone. The eating habits of the average American are a disaster, and to go from the Standard American Diet to something as radical as IF is usually a recipe for failure.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Robb Wolf

Robert-
Thanks! Good cathc on the fast-5 info...I totally forgot about that.

Jesse-Yep, the 3 meals is somewhat a compromise in that one is not chronically feeding AND it's tough for folks to get in much more than that with work, family etc. Perhaps not optimum performance but it's a good step for many of our clients.

Robb's Blog
Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
Pierre Auge

Robb,
I'll tend to agree with that 3 meal recommendation in principle, as per small changes over time make the most significant impact over time. OVER TIME being the main point there, habits don't change overnightand I'm a prime example of that. GOOD Shit!

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
Joyce Behrendt

Was kind of wondering what you considered middle aged. heh, heh.

I had emailed Dr. Bert on fast-5 about why IF wasn't recommended for diabetics and he mainly was concerned for people on medications. They would need to work with a doctor on adjustments. I have type 2 and had tried the 24 hours on/off for a week after reading Dr. Eades blog. I had no hypos. I was already used to a low carb diet. Dr. Eades didn't think hypo was a big concern.

My experience is that when we are used to having higher blood sugars and we either go on a lower carb diet or start IF, there is an adjustment and a person will feel like blood sugar is low. I remember those feelings of being shakey and little sweaty when I first started LC. But this went away once I was adapted. I love not feeling those swings in blood sugar. During the IF experiment, I exercised at the end of the fast and lived to tell about it. I felt very strong.

If it comes up at work, it depends on who's asking. I might explain some of the fascinating research. Such as starving brain tumors, regenerating nerve cells in the brain, improving immune system, etc. I also explain it helps kill the appetite and lowers my blood sugar.

I also work with lots of Asians and Indians who fast for spiritual reasons.

Robb, thanks for the great articles fasting.
Joyce Behrendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:38 AM   #8
Steve Liberati

When she questions you again just hit her over the head with your club and drag her outside. Of course I'm just kidding here, but I would make a point to toss the evolutionary perspective into it as to paint a more clear picture of IF. Explain how we evolve as humans over millions of years mainly on a paleo type of diet and most times not knowing when and where our next meal was coming from. Most days were reserved for hunting and gathering and only if they were lucky would they enjoy a few nutrent packed meals in the evening. Our ancestors were healthy, fit and rid of the many (chronic and autoimmune) diseases that are so very common today. Afterall, it's the way we always did it. Eating the strange shit (fast food, pre-packaged, etc) most ppl today is weird...fasting and paleo is not. Hate when others try to turn the tables to protect their own "excessive" and unhealthy lifestyles....sadly the corporate world is filled with these people.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:20 AM   #9
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce Behrendt View Post
Was kind of wondering what you considered middle aged. heh, heh.

I had emailed Dr. Bert on fast-5 about why IF wasn't recommended for diabetics and he mainly was concerned for people on medications. They would need to work with a doctor on adjustments. I have type 2 and had tried the 24 hours on/off for a week after reading Dr. Eades blog. I had no hypos. I was already used to a low carb diet. Dr. Eades didn't think hypo was a big concern.

My experience is that when we are used to having higher blood sugars and we either go on a lower carb diet or start IF, there is an adjustment and a person will feel like blood sugar is low. I remember those feelings of being shakey and little sweaty when I first started LC. But this went away once I was adapted. I love not feeling those swings in blood sugar. During the IF experiment, I exercised at the end of the fast and lived to tell about it. I felt very strong.

If it comes up at work, it depends on who's asking. I might explain some of the fascinating research. Such as starving brain tumors, regenerating nerve cells in the brain, improving immune system, etc. I also explain it helps kill the appetite and lowers my blood sugar.

I also work with lots of Asians and Indians who fast for spiritual reasons.

Robb, thanks for the great articles fasting.
Joyce-
You rock! Nothing beats personal experience on this stuff, thank you for getting into the fray!

Robb's Blog