Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #991
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
The burb is still down. I politely told the folks at the local garage that if there was a problem I have no issue with personally contacting their CEO. Not sure exactly why but all of sudden there was a flurry of activity.

I will no later today if I am good to go. But it should be done by the end of the week. My fingers are crossed.

Leo told me that because I DL so much is why my pulls are good. Might be something to that.
Who knew that deadlifts are good for so much else? I'll take a deadlift over a Zercher anyday... there I said it. Not a Zercher fan. Feels good to get it off my chest.

Good luck with the Burb, I'm guessing you'll have a very nice and easy ride when you get it back.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:57 AM   #992
Derek Simonds

February 18 Wednesday

No-Gi at Nashville MMA. I had a really good experience with the group there. The instructor Shawn Hammonds made me feel at home and there was a great mix of experience on the mat. I trained with a blue belt that was one of their MMA fighters. Shawn covered some great drills and then we worked on an escape from a high mount. Then we grappled for 5 rounds. I was competitive with all their members.

I was able to get several submissions with blue belts. After I beat a couple of blue belts this guy who looked like an ox came over and wanted to roll. I rolled with him and he submitted me with a variant of an arm triangle but I was able to stay with him the whole time and he only got me with that right before the bell. Turns out he is one of their black belts. I felt really good about my overall showing. My mat cardio sucked though. Holy smoked batman. I will train with them again next week.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #993
Leo Soubbotine

Hey man, will you be able to come to our Last WoD and Moving Party on Mar 7th?
Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 AM   #994
Derek Simonds

I just read all about the moving party. Jr said we have to be there so we will. Biggest challenge will be his gymnastics that day but we will definitely be there.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #995
Derek Simonds

February 21 Saturday

D W/U

6 Minutes RKC Armbar + TGU (this is getting really solid with the 16 KG bell)

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 195 X 5 X 3, 215 X 5, 235 X 2, 255 X 1

Bench 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3, 215 X 1
P/U 5, 5, 5, 5 (really working on getting my kip down whenever I am at home)

Met-Con

5 Minutes of Cindy
5 P/U's
10 Pushups
15 Squats

Oh yeah I got 5 rounds. First time ever that I have been pacing a round a minute. I was breathing hard but I was making it. I didn't break anything up except the last set of P/U's. I think I could get 10 rounds in 10 minutes. We will see soon.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #996
Derek Weaver

That's nice KB work there. Strength numbers are looking good and progressing well.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #997
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
That's nice KB work there. Strength numbers are looking good and progressing well.
Thanks, it seems like it has been a long time that I have been focusing on strength but it hasn't been that long. Linear progression is definitely my friend.

February 22 Sunday

EC Foam Rolling

6 Minutes RKC Armbar + TGU 16 KG KB

2 4 LB Hammer's
20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Upswing / Circle Blocks (don't know what to call these)
20 Side Swings

I had to stop and restart the hammer stuff, I restarted from the beginning. Lucy the lab decided to go running out the door when my neighbor got here to workout. Nice added warm up.

B W/U

Clean 61 X 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 145 X 3, 155 X 3, 165 X 2, 175 X 1 (most I have squat cleaned in a long time, it felt really good)

Push Jerk 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 3 X 5

DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 300 X 5, 310 X 5

Out of time. I planned on doing Leo's workout from the other day as my met-con. Maybe later today. I really like the look of it. DL's felt really solid even after all the clean's. I am very sore today from yesterdays beat down. Should be interesting to see how I recover.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:49 AM   #998
Derek Simonds

Tuesday February 24

Back in Nash Vegas. Freaking cold by the way. 27 degrees on the way to the gym.

5 minutes on the treadmill

D W/U

1a) BS 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 1, 200 X 5 X 5 (felt great only bobbled 1 times)
1B) P/U 4 X 5

2a) Incline BB Bench 45 X8, 95 X 8, 135 X 8 X 3
2b) DB Row 50 X 8, 65 X 8, 70 X 8, 80 X 8

40 Meter Sprints X 7 with walk back as recovery.

So I was getting set to start my squats and there were two guys having a discussion next to the smith machine. I could hear what they were talking about but was focused on getting set up. They were talking about what God considers success and what the world considers success. Well I cleaned the bar and walked forward to rack it and as I did I let go of the bar and realized that there was only one hook in place. So the bar starts falling and I go with it trying not to fall out of the rack. I recovered and realized that the other hook was at the top of the rack not in the same place as the right one. I started laughing out loud at how stupid I was. Well the guys beside me thought I was laughing at their conversation. I explained what happened and we all had a good laugh together.

Interestingly enough one of the guys had to have been at least 285 lb's of muscle. Eek. Luckily I felt comfortable agreeing with his side of the conversation.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:57 AM   #999
Derek Simonds

February 25 Wednesday

5 minutes treadmill

2 X 3 LB DB's

20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Side Swings

Rack Pulls 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 315 X 5, 405 X 3, 455 X 1, 1, 405 X 3

1a) Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 105 X 5, 5, 110 X 5
1b) Low Cable Row 100 X 10 X 4

2a) BB Crush 45 X 20, 20, 50 X 20
2b) Tricep Pressdown 10 X 3

3a) DB Hammer Curl 25 X 10 X 3
3b) Roman Chair Leg Lifts 10 X 3

Rack pulls take a long time. I wanted to get in a little met-con but was just totally out of time. However that 455 is the most I have ever held in my hands. Pretty cool feeling. Once I got it moving it was tough but no problem. Well maybe that is an understatement. I hope to rack pull 500 within the next 30 days. Good workout and off to work I go.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #1000
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
February 25 Wednesday

5 minutes treadmill

2 X 3 LB DB's

20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Side Swings

Rack Pulls 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 315 X 5, 405 X 3, 455 X 1, 1, 405 X 3

1a) Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 105 X 5, 5, 110 X 5
1b) Low Cable Row 100 X 10 X 4

2a) BB Crush 45 X 20, 20, 50 X 20
2b) Tricep Pressdown 10 X 3

3a) DB Hammer Curl 25 X 10 X 3
3b) Roman Chair Leg Lifts 10 X 3

Rack pulls take a long time. I wanted to get in a little met-con but was just totally out of time. However that 455 is the most I have ever held in my hands. Pretty cool feeling. Once I got it moving it was tough but no problem. Well maybe that is an understatement. I hope to rack pull 500 within the next 30 days. Good workout and off to work I go.
NIIIIIIIICE.