Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #1061
Derek Simonds

April 22 Wednesday PM BJJ

Fundamentals class so I was uke and worked with a trial most of the time. Focused on Kimura sweep and Kimura. Loads of fun. I will get good at that sub one day I just know it.

I did practice my 45 degree entry into the hip throw that Gant showed me. That is a thing of beauty. I also did a pull to the left arm like I was going for an arm drag and when the guy pulled back I shot for a single leg on his right which he left vulnerable. I liked that combo a lot also.

April 23 Thursday

Two dog patrol for 30 minutes. Man I really enjoy getting up and going for a walk with the dogs. Today is take your kid to work day and mine are here working up a storm.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:01 AM   #1062
Derek Simonds

April 24 Friday

Two dog patrol 50 minutes with the last 15 minutes up and down the only hill we have in the neighborhood.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #1063
Derek Simonds

April 25 Saturday

BJJ with the kids. Jr and Delaney went with me. Loads of fun and I got to work with my friend Rich. We worked on some insane no hand kimuras. One of which you rolled into when your opponent tried to shoot for a single leg while you transition to an armbar.

Workout with Tracy, Andy and Corbett for Andy's B-Day

D W/U

Testing day

BS 275 LB's no problem so I loaded 300 LB's on and my spotter was daydreaming and I lost it at the bottom. He grabbed the bar after I bounced off the safety bars. Wow. I do have it on video. I put 285 on and did it clean. It was freaking heavy but I am now officially at 1.5 X BW!

Bench 225 LB's it was a fight but I guess that is what testing is about.

DL 315 and I was shaking like a leaf so I knew I didn't have much left so I put exactly 2 X BW and went for it and almost passed out over the bar so I didn't set a new PR in DL

Finished with Andy's BDay Metcon and it was brutal

34 45 X thrusters
135 on the sled and 34 M's down and 34 M's Back
34 burpees
34 KB Swings with a 52 LB'er

Another important note Tracy Hit 155 LB's on the BS and DL and also standing pressed 7o LB's all PR's for her.

I did it non stop except for burpees and man I paid for it. It took me all night long to get back into the land of the living.

Good day all around and I have a lot of video to edit today.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #1064
Allen Yeh

PR's are good!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #1065
Derek Simonds

April 26 Tuesday

30 Minutes on the elliptical

April 27 Wednesday

25 Minutes on the treadmill

April 28 Thursday

D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 3
Bench 45 X 5, 65 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3
Press 45 X 5, 75 X 5 X 3

1 arm floor press 40 X 8 X 3
DB Row 40 X 8 X 3

Recovery week half weights on everything. Nice and fast.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #1066
Leo Soubbotine

hey - if you're off tomorrow night - join us at the Bahama Breeze after 7pm!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 AM   #1067
Derek Simonds

May 1 Friday

D W/U

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 3
Bench 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3
Press 45 X 5, 75 X 5 X 3

Drag Curlz 45 X 12

Final recovery workout. I start the 5/3/1 program next week. Looking forward to it.

Fast and fun. Got home at 1:00 AM this morning got up with the kids at 6:45. A little groggy but managable. I am at work for another hour or so and then I am picking up the kids and heading for the lake. I will be out of contact (sort of I can log on if I need to) with the world until Sunday night. Yeah me and the kids. It is actually a bachelor weekend and there is four dads heading up there with their kids. Should be loads of fun.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #1068
Allen Yeh

Pretty sweet you are doing 5/3/1 too. What are the training maxes you are starting with? Which back squat will you be doing for the cycle? The other day when I tested a2G I could barely get 2 reps with 225! I felt just stuck on the 3rd rep. I don't know if it's because I had already done DL and bench or what! I felt exhausted.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #1069
Derek Simonds

I am going to go with the low bar BS. I have played with the high bar lately but since I am just strictly focusing on moving weight for the next 6 months low bar it is.

May 2 Saturday

D W/U

Hammer Time plus some so probably about 6 minutes of total work.

KB plus pushups just a ton of movement with never putting the bell down until the end. Great stuff just trying to clear the cobwebs.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #1070
Derek Weaver

Maybe I'll join you guys with 5/3/1.

How was the lake?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote