Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #101
Derek Simonds

Jun 5 2007 Tu Day 22 Derek's Program

AM Workout

OHS 45 X 3, 65 X 3, 75 X 3, 85 X 3, 95 X 3, 100 X 1, 115 M
Cln Pull / RDL 165 Lb's 5 X 3
Sotts Press 80 Lb's BB 5 X 3
Bent Over Row 80 Lb's 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
6 X 100 M Intervals as I ran to get pick up my truck from the tire and brake place. Total run a little over a mile.

NoGi Grappling

First time I have been to a NoGi class in a while. We worked on 2 armbars both from side control. The first was reach under the lat, secure the tri, control the hip, pull up on the arm and move to N / S. Once there stay heavy and when ready post one leg beside arm you are controlling and other leg by back of their head, pivot and sit squeeze knees together and lock. The second variant is a reverse arm lock where you have your head inside their arm, lock it up, roll them into you and put your knee in their chest, lay back and finish. That one kills when you are locked up.

Rolled 3 times, once with a guy I didn't know and I pulled off 3 subs 2 of which were taking the back and going with a RNC, I have been practicing taking the back and it worked well. Rolled with Rich and he was all over me with a ton of positional changes. I finally managed to go on the offensive and was working an americana right as time expired. The last roll was with Alex (I think) who seriously torqued my elbow in an armbar the last time we rolled (my fault not his, I didn't tap fast enough and he had it). He schooled me pretty good today. He had me in a nightmare choke and wasn't hurting me but I couldn't budge him at all so I tapped and we started again. Second time I was shrimping out from side control and he had grabbed my neck in a guillotine style attack, Brian the instructor is telling me to roll onto my belly and go to my knees. I didn't think that would work because I was worried about the arm around my neck. Oh well what do I know I went for it and he sunk the choke and pile drove my face into the mat. Oh Yeah tongue tastes good.

Great class as always.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #102
Derek Simonds

Jun 6 2007 W Day 23 Derek's Program

Snatches and Cleans Oh My!

I read something from Glenn over at WFW about using 20 / 10 for snatches and cleans and it seemed like a nice round number so that is where I worked today.

Snatch 45 X 3, 65 X 3, 70 X 3, 75 X 3, 80 X 3, 85 X 3, 90 X 1, M, 1, 1, 1 I am not used to people talking to me or being around when I am lifting as I usually doing it at 5:30 in the morning. This morning I slept in and started a little after 6:30 and my wife came out into the garage right when I hit 90 Lb's. I made the first lift and was taking a moment to recover and she was talking to me. I listened moved into my lift and asked her to stand in a different position in case I had to bail. Guess where she stood right in front of me. I really think that I need to work on lifting with people around me. She was talking to me and right when I started to set up she says "I'll be quite and let you lift". Mentally I wasn't prepared.

Clean and Jerk 90 X 3, 115 X 1, 1, 1, 125 X 1, 1, 135 X 1, 1 I really didn't want to do the last 135 but I manned up and did it. I am pretty exhausted. Grappling at noon and 1 more lifting session before vacation.

BJJ

Advanced class worked armbar variants with the Gi. Grabbed the collar and did the same moves as yesterday.

Grappling, first session had a good roll with Slade and managed to get the armbar we have been practicing the last couple of days. Second roll with Derrick who choked me out completely with an ezekiel choke and after I recovered a roll with Dylan and I finished with a keylock.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #103
Derek Simonds

Jun 7 2007 H Day 24 Derek's Program

AM Workout

Deadlift 5 X 5 225, 2 X 1 275
Bench 5 X 5 145
FS 135 X3, 145 X 3, 150 X 3, 155 X 3, 160 X 3

All of this while the wife and kids are coming through the garage giving me stuff to pack for our vacation. Good final workout pre-vacation.

I can't wait to take it easy and heal up all the bangs, bumps, tweaks and bruises I have. Keys here I come.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #104
Allen Yeh

If you can, get a BW/BF check pre-vacation and then a post-vacation weigh-in too!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #105
Derek Simonds

Allen I did just that. Thanks for reminding me I forgot to post this morning. This is inside my standard deviation when I train hard in BJJ the day before a weigh in. I am surprised but even with consuming large amounts of liquids and eating well I still drop around 3 - 4 Lb's in a 2:30 hour session of grappling. I weighed in Sunday morning and was at 190.3 with a 10.1% BF.

Pre-Vacation
BW 187.9 Lb's
BF 9.7%

I am losing fat and maintaining my current weight. I bought some new 34 waist board shorts and they are baggy! My wife told me yesterday that I need to not lose any more weight. I told her we would be ok.

I am hoping that over the course of the next 10 days I can put on a couple of Lb's so I will have a little extra mass to work with when I get home.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #106
Derek Simonds

June 18 2007 M

Post Vacation Weigh In

189.4 Lb's
9.4% BF

Well I picked up almost 2 Lb's at close to the same BF %. It was funny but with everything we had going on down in the Keys I adopted a modified IF protocol. The modified part was that we were drinking beer pretty early in the morning and since we were on the water fishing I didn't eat until after 3:00 each day. When I did eat I ate whatever I wanted and enjoyed it.

Workout
With the thread about ladders I decided to use them this week on my squat work.
BS 185 Lb's 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 Made the last rep but man it was sloppy.
Bench 140 5 X 5
P/U 5 X 4
Press, Shrug, Lockout 85 Lb's 5 X 3

BJJ PM
Tomorrow is my 8th wedding anniversary so I only went to the fundamentals class. We worked a bunch of sweep variations with the final transitioning to a triangle.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #107
Derek Simonds

June 19 2007 T Happy 8th Anniversary to me and my wife!

I started with ladders yesterday on BS and I have experienced delayed onset muscle soreness. I got up this morning and was amazed at how my legs felt.

On with the ladders
OHS 85 Lb's 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3
Cln Pull / RDL 155 Lb's 5 X 3
1 Arm Sotts Press 35 Lb's DB 5 X 5
Ring Dips 5 X 5
BB Rows 85 Lb's 5 X 7

Old 06-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #108
Derek Simonds

June 20 2007 W

Rest Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BJJ PM

Fundmentals focused on scissors sweeps again and moved to scissors sweep to armbars. I worked with a trial guy and another newer white belt. Good training and a lot of fun to see someone new get excited.

Advanced focused on single leg takedowns for speed and 2 arm armbar. The 2 arm armbar is sneaky deadly. grip both of sleeves ligthly pull forward move feet to hips open wide then squeeze the knees tight around elbows. Keep knees tight and move feet over head, lock, lift hips and pull. OOOF! It is deadly tight. Grappled in a row with a new opponent every 3 minutes. I had two guys say oh no not you. I don't know if that is a compliment or if I enjoy rolling too much . I rolled with one of my nemesis who is a blue and weighs in over 250. If he gets you in side control he just smothers you. I pulled gaurd and kept him there for about 90 seconds, he passed went for side control and I got half guard. He almost had me in a straight armbar, but I was able to wriggle my arm back far enough to stop it. Lots of fun.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:57 AM   #109
Derek Simonds

June 21 2007 H

B-Warmup with 5 KG bar

Snatch
65 X 3
80 X 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
85 X 1, 1, 1, 1
90 X 1, 1
95 X 1, 1
100 X 1
101 1/2 X 1

Clean and Jerk
101 1/2 X 3
115 X 3
120 X 2
125 X 2
130 X 2

Snatches felt really, really good today. I was up around my last tested max at 105. I felt like I could have easily hit that plus a little more today.

No-Gi Grappling
One of my best nights ever at No-Gi. We worked some sweeps when the guy in your guard stands up. One was a crazy move where you spin around put your knees on the back of their knees, grab their ankles and shove them down and take their back. Grappled with one of the guys that has one several tournaments and was able to take his back and sink a RNC deeeeep! For the tapout. Holy Cow! I was so gassed from my o-lift workout and some major effort with him for 8 minutes my next match was solidly average and I came back to life in the last match.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #110
Derek Simonds

June 22 2007 F

Workout
FS 160 Lb's BB 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3
Incline 45 DB's 5 X 7
Weighted Pull / Chin 5 X 2
SNGDL 155 Lb's 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

At some point in the last 2 days I pulled / strained a muscle in my back, left side from the scapula to the spine. Major distraction. I probably shouldn't have done the weighted pulls this morning and I definitely shouldn't have done the 50 lb KB work at the gym tonight before class. Aargh breathing hurts.

BJJ
All levels class before open mat. Worked spider guard, not one of my favorites but I can see using it sometimes. 2 sweeps and an armbar pretty neat transition where you push them away with one leg then pull them in and throw the bent leg over their shoulder into a triangle. Did the monkey in the middle drill with spider guard passing and I was one of the monkeys, I stayed out for quite a while then got put out. Pretty much every time I would regain my spot and lose it a couple of people later. Lot of fun.