Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #1361
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
When are you set for a deload?

Maybe it's time for a whole week off from everything? Or maybe a little more caffeine.
Yeah no crap. I did a deload last week. But apparently my deload was compromised by stress. It is weird I feel significantly stronger than I was 6 months ago, I am hitting PR's in training on a regular basis just not picking up anything on the top end right now. I know that I am bigger for sure. I weighed in at right at 202 for the last week. Happy with everything except what is happening with these heavy singles.

BTW missing those squats I have soreness in several muscles that I am not used to.

Tuesday December 15

D W/U

Lots of messing around with kipping chest to bar p/u's

Bench worked up to a heavy single at 215, missed 230.

Done and done. Flight to Charlotte for today and Montgomery later. Boston Thursday and back home early Friday morning. Appointment with doctor about my turf toe and I am officially getting into vacation mode.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #1362
Derek Weaver

Good single on the bench.

Maybe it's time for a whole week off from everything? Your activity level is pretty darn high. Much higher than mine, and I don't have a family.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:38 AM   #1363
Derek Simonds

Tuesday was a blow out travel day, 4 states, 2 meetings and a lot of airport food. Wednesday almost missed my meeting I flew to Montgomery for as I had it in my calendar for Eastern time for some reason. OOPS. I am always early so what I thought was an hour early turned out to be right when the meeting started. Finished up there and flew to Boston where it is ball shrinking, snot freezing wicked pisser cold! I really don't know how people live like this all the time.

Wednesday morning I did some mobility and pre-hab work plus.

4 X 12 Pushup Plus
4 X 12 30 LB DB Row

4 X 12 20 LB Curl and Press
4 X 12 30 LB DB Shrugs

Just moving around. Stretching and maybe some BW stuff in my hotel room this morning. Looking forward to a successful meeting here and then flying home.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #1364
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Good single on the bench.

Maybe it's time for a whole week off from everything? Your activity level is pretty darn high. Much higher than mine, and I don't have a family.
I am going to take some time off first of the year. I have a lot of travel from the 30th through the 9th so I might use that to do nothing.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:04 AM   #1365
Derek Simonds

Friday December 18

D W/U
Foam Rolling
Burgener W/U

Power Cleans 45 X 5, 95 X 3 X 5

DL work up to a heavy single. Made 345 which is 15 LB's less than I worked out with last week. I am guessing that I am absolutely smoked. Only explanation. I checked my resting heart rate this morning before I got up and it was in the 70's. I am going to reset all my numbers for the first of the year and work through 1 week of it next week. Than I am taking the next 10 days completely off.

I am going to rest from work, weights and stress.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #1366
Derek Weaver

Good call on the 10 days off. To be honest, I'm damn impressed at the progress you've made considering you: are employed, have a family, lift multiple days/week, and hit jits/mma regularly. Did I leave anything else out?

Here's to a good year and an even better one coming up. In and out of the gym.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #1367
Derek Simonds

Did a little cross training today. I have shot most of my life but never in a competition. I was invited yesterday to shoot in the first Carbine only meet at a local gun club. There was 35 competitors and it was 44 degrees this morning. I had commitments for after 1:00 and being an inaugural meet it was running a little behind. Here are some pictures. First is the weapon I used.

First stage was 3 targets left window, 3 targets right window both required 2 shots to the kill zone for all targets. Open door use cover and shoot 3 targets you see 1 close and 2 far away, these required 2 to body and 1 to head.

Second Stage had 4 locations to shoot from, A required a support side shot on 2 targets, B was strong side on 2 targets, C back to support side inside the maze on 3 targets, D strong side on 3 targets. This was the first time I have ever shot support side with a carbine.

Third stage was my favorite, you started seated in the car hands on the wheel and buckled in. From there you had to exit car, retrieve your rifle load and engage 2 targets from the rear bumper, switch to support and engage 2 targets from front bumper. Run to cover and engage the 5 remaining targets as they become available. I used support side on the left for 2 targets and strong on the right for the other 3. I only had 2 misses and shot the stage in 54 seconds.

Continued below....

Old 12-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #1368
Derek Simonds

Fourth stage starts with support side at 3 targets that are in various stages of cover. This was an accuracy stage. It was scored VA style where you only got 2 shots per target and had to have both of them in the kill zone. Second set of targets was strong side and kneeling besides cover. Once the targets are shot you must do a tactical reload and retain the magazine. Run to the next spot and engage the 4 remaining targets from standing.

And here is a video of the last stage. I wish that I had got some videos from the other stages but I didn't know anyone so I finally asked a guy in my group to video me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OCYnlzeg0

Loads of fun and Tracy is probably going to shoot in the next one with me. It will be embarrassing when she beats me but oh well. You know what they say about the family that trains together....

Old 12-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #1369
Kevin Perry

Ah sweet, I still have not gotten to shoot my AR, got it a year ago been wanting to do some mods to it and take it down to the range. Only things I've done to it thus far is a new molded grip for it and ambidextrous magazine ejection. I really want to get an EOTech sight for it.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #1370
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
Ah sweet, I still have not gotten to shoot my AR, got it a year ago been wanting to do some mods to it and take it down to the range. Only things I've done to it thus far is a new molded grip for it and ambidextrous magazine ejection. I really want to get an EOTech sight for it.
I would definitely get an ambi safety if your AR didn't come one. It made all the difference when shooting support side. A lot of the guys were using EOTech's at the match. Using a red dot makes it so much nicer shooting non dominant.

And oh yeah get to the range and get some rounds down!