Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-21-2009, 05:01 AM   #1371
Derek Simonds

December 21 Monday

Evaluation week for new programming

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
KB W/U Press, Clean, Squat and DL X 8 X 2

Strength:
Press 45 X 5, 5 X 65 X 5, 80 X 5, 90 X 5, 100 X 11
Band work, low pulls, ext rotation and diesel face pulls

Press walkouts 150 X 10 seconds X 3

Hypertrophy:
Bench 45 X 15, 95 X 15, 115 X 15, 15, 125 X 15
DB Row 50 LB X 10 X 5

Ab:
Sand Bag S/U's 33 LB's X 12 X 4
Weighted Planks + 25 LB's X 30 seconds X 4
Anti Rotation X 20 seconds each side X 3

GTG throughout the day on dips and p/u's. Press felt great today. I am working on using a belt like Justin talked about on 70's big. Man my abs have been super sore using it. Appears that there is an adjustment going on. On the last two reps of the press I really pressed out against the belt and it made a huge difference and I got the reps. W/U took 15 minutes and workout took 55 minutes. Tomorrow is the real test on timing. The KB W/U can be done with a shorter rest, today I went then Andy went, next time we will each grab a bell and do it w/ 30 seconds rest.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:24 AM   #1372
Derek Simonds

December 22 Tuesday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

W/U Complex 45LB's X 5 X 2
Hang Clean
Front Squat
Hang Snatch
OH Squat
Press
Row
RDL

Strength:
BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 175 X 5, 200 X 5, 230 X 5
BS Walkouts 300 X 10 seconds X 3 + 3 1/8 Squats

Hypertrophy
BS 95 X 30 (well that had a higher margin of suck than I expected!)

25 Inch Box Jumps X 5 X 3
GM 45 X 12 X 3

Russian Twist W/ 20 LB Med Ball X 24 X 3
Swiss Ball Planks X 30 seconds X 3

I am still trying to adapt to using a belt correctly. It is so freaking weird but I feel weaker with the belt on than off. I focus, push air into my belly get super tight and squat. I think I am doing it correctly but hell I could have it all wrong. I know this my abs are freaking sore from the last week of using the belt. I did however have my Blue Suede Do-Wins back and that made me very happy. the 95 X 30 got my spinae erectors fired up! The rest of me was ok, well other than I laid on the ground for an entire song afterwards, but other than that just fine.

15 minutes on W/U and 50 minutes on workout. I can live with that.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #1373
Derek Weaver

Bro.... those 30 reps on the back squat seem miserable. Even if it's "only 95 lbs", that's plenty of time for a bar on your back.

I'm going to add them next time through 5/3/1 if I'm feeling good. Well, I guess if the scale's not moving I will. Maybe.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:05 AM   #1374
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Bro.... those 30 reps on the back squat seem miserable. Even if it's "only 95 lbs", that's plenty of time for a bar on your back.

I'm going to add them next time through 5/3/1 if I'm feeling good. Well, I guess if the scale's not moving I will. Maybe.
My legs didn't feel it at all. My spinae erectors caught on fire and are still lit up. Saturday will be 2 sets of 30 and Monday will be 3 X 30

Now for the important part. I ate 3 peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches yesterday. That was in addition to my regular food. Today I am going for 3 and a half gallon egg nog. Wish me luck!

And I am happy to report that apparently Grilled Cheese is F'ing Awesome so I can eat that as well.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #1375
Derek Weaver

Wendler made a good point didn't he? I'm not going to disagree. Grilled cheese is indeed awesome.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #1376
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Wendler made a good point didn't he? I'm not going to disagree. Grilled cheese is indeed awesome.
I damn near pissed myself when I read that. I am working in my egg nog now!

December 23 Wednesday

Private with Fabio and Mark

We worked attack chains from side control, taking the back from side and fat man mount or s mount from side. I am working on this crazy game where I use the gi to chicken wing the outside arm and then attack like mad from there. You can go to baseball choke, collar choke, or an armbar if they try to defend. Flat out silly if you get that chicken wing. Once that arm is wrapped up I can do anything I want and the best part is that if they are trying the usual face grind with their forearm to create space they are playing right into this move.

We grappled non stop from side for 30 minutes. If you were on bottom you started in the worst position with inside arm cleared and face plastered to the mat. Bottom guy had to escape and top guy had to advance or submit. Fabios challenge to me was a submission in 1 minute or less everytime from that position. So I pushed it and went nuts. I think my longest time to submit was 1:20. I also almost puked at one point. We were going hard and fast.

Truly a great class and a fantastic way to finish out pre Christmas.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #1377
Derek Simonds

Thursday December 24th Merry Christmas Eve

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Band Work: Low Pulls, Pull Aparts, Dislocates, Behind Neck Press, 45 Degree Rear Raises

Complex B 5 X 2
Upright Row (hate these)
Hang Clean Grip Snatch
BS
Behind Neck Press
GM

RKC Armbar + TGU 3 minutes

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 175 X 10
DB Row 50 LB's X 12 X5

Press 45 X 15, 55 X 15, 60 X 15, 65 X 15
Shrug 50 X 12 X 3
BB Curlz 55 X 12, 65 X 12, 12

The 175 X 10 was easy. I am doing much better on my press and bench with the belt than I am on the BS. Weird! I definitely felt like I had more in me today. Off for our annual Christmas Eve golf outing with the neighbors. I am sure there will be pictures posted later.

Oh and here is Jr with a move he calls the elevator. He was jacking around while I was training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=454AeGQ2FVs

Old 12-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #1378
Derek Simonds

Saturday December 26

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Complex C X 6 X 3

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 235 X 5, 275 X 5, 310 X 5

BS 45 X 30, 95 X 30

Partial DL with DO and Fat Gripz 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 200 X 2
GM 45 X 12 X 3

KB Windmills 16 KG X 12 each side X 3
hanging Leg Lifts

Windmills after GMs and DLs sucked. Sucked royally. My forearms were the weak link in the hanging leg raises. So the Fat Gripz did their job. Good Training session today.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #1379
Derek Simonds

Forgot to mention that Santa brought me one of those cheap Sports Authority ab wheels. I wanted the lifeline fitness one but apparently Mrs. Clause decided that 9.99 fit the budget better than 59.99!

So every single person that came over asked what I got and I showed them. I think I did about 50 rollouts from the knees yesterday and my stomach is extremely sore. My 79 YO grandmother gave it a go. She could roll out but couldn't pull back in. Lots of fun.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #1380
Kevin Perry

Those things are great
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote