Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #1501
Derek Simonds

I got home last night and found someone getting some extra practice in the garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM3FPhOtBj0

Laney is still a train wreck. She is 3 doses of antibiotics in and her lymph node on the right side of her neck is so inflamed that it is visible when looking at her. She is miserable. She woke up at 5:30 we got her some Motrin and at 6:30 she still had a 101 degree fever. Not a normal morning at all for me.

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Diesel Crew Shoulder Routine from earlier this week
Seated scarecrows, lying posterior flyes, push up plus from your knees and chest & shoulder stretch. This was a good warm up circuit. I wasn't getting as much out of the stretch as I thought I would but liked it anyway.

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 160 X 3, 180 X 3, 205 X 5 (BooYeah That is a PR) I even slid a little sideways off the bench on the last rep.
DB Row 50 X 12, 65 X 12, 12, 17

Press 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 95 X 10

And that was all she wrote. Laney needed me throughout the workout so I bagged it and went it and took care of her. I am glad that I was at home so I could be there for her.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #1502
Allen Yeh

Nice PR!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #1503
Derek Simonds

March 10 Wednesday PM

Trained 1 hour with Rich on
Guard pass and Sweep
Side Control and Escape
Got done training with Rich and my lower back just started locking up on me like now! Ouch, ouch, ouch.

BJJ Fundamentals Headlock self defense, Spider guard sweep, knee on belly to mount and keylock. I worked with a college kid who stunk, was absolutely skinny and had breath that smelled like ass. Other than that he was a really nice guy...

I can remember being a broke ass college kid but don't ever remember not doing laundry or brushing my teeth! Kind of funny. I asked Fabio if he thought I could touch my knee to the mat while doing knee on belly. Fabio found that really funny. I think the kid was afraid I would actually try. I didn't. I even went easy on him and kept my weight mainly off of him.

I will call him Stinky from now on.

I started icing as soon as I left and am having a beer to tide me over.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:06 AM   #1504
Derek Simonds

Long night. Laney's fever went as high as 104.8. That is a real yikes moment. I spoke with her doctor and he told us as long as she could move her neck up and down and didn't break out in a rash that looked like a bruise we could come in this morning. This morning her temp after Motrin is down to 100. I am waiting on the doctors office to open so we can get her back in.

Sucks when you can't make your little one feel any better.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #1505
Allen Yeh

Yikes! Hope the doctor is able to help.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #1506
Derek Simonds

March 11 Thursday (AM)

I worked out for 30 minutes. Doing stuff. Don't remember what but stuff.

Laney's fever is down into the 101 range. What a trip this has been. She has a viral throat infection on top of the double ear infection.

March 11 Thursday (PM)

MMA there was only one other guy there. He has been training for a week. Fabio had me just play around with the guy as he couldn't even go for 2 minutes during warm ups.

Basically the dude got a private with Fabio for free with me as his tackling dummy.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #1507
Derek Simonds

March 12 Friday

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Agile 8
B W/U

PC&J 45 X 5, 95 X 3, 105 X 3, 115 X 3, 125 X 1 (I noticed I was shorting my jerk by not driving deep enough into the split, basically I was only driving in enough to catch the weight at lockout)

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 3, 245 X 3, 280 X 3, 315 X 3

BS 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 185 X 10, 225 X 2
Rolling Thunder DL 50 X 8, 75 X 5, 85 X 5, 95 X 5, 105 X 5R 3L

My lower back is super sore today. That kind of achy soreness. I didn't want to push any harder than what I had to get done. I think I am pretty close to exhausted. With all the addtiional stressors this week and knowing that I haven't ate as much as I needed I am looking forward to this weekend for some recovery!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #1508
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Laney's fever is down into the 101 range. What a trip this has been. She has a viral throat infection on top of the double ear infection.

March 11 Thursday (PM)

MMA there was only one other guy there. He has been training for a week. Fabio had me just play around with the guy as he couldn't even go for 2 minutes during warm ups.

Basically the dude got a private with Fabio for free with me as his tackling dummy.
Geez, sounds like your little girl's got it pretty rough. It's good her fever is down a bit 104 + is pretty scary.

Hopefully she'll turn the corner quickly and get back to being a kid.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:29 AM   #1509
Derek Simonds

March 12 Friday (PM)

Derek she is now not running a fever and actually talking. I told her several times last night how worried I have been. She told me that she wants to go to BJJ today but she is just going to wear her gi and not work out. I told her that would be just fine!

Trained with Rich for an hour. continued with side control and escapes and then transitioned to KOB and mount. It is much harder to hold control when you are not attacking me thinks.

BJJ All levels. We got back to some old school transitional drills which I love. So many of our guys can only think one direction at a time and these really change it up. Played with the standing guard pass to KOB and once everyone was at least getting by we went to the spin around move and then to KOB switches. Great class.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #1510
Derek Simonds

Saturday March 13

EC Foam Rolling
D W/U

Plate Halos 25 LB X 10 each way X 3

Low Black Band Pulls X 20 X 3
Black Band Pull Aparts X 20 X 3

Internal Rotation Yellow X 15 X 3
External Rotation Yellow X 15 X 3

KB Swings 16 KG X 25 X 4

Derek Jr was practicing and he is so close on his muscle up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/simplesi.../0/k_ypSBL8lsw

He also continued to get in practice on his mushroom.

http://www.youtube.com/user/simplesi.../1/G2H3fpSD1Tg

Got some breakfast and headed off to BJJ

All Levels: We continued the movement drills from yesterday and we were a rocking. Worked all the same ones plus a spin sit to mount that is awesome. After the movement drills we paired it with the armbar from KOB defense and then worked a baseball choke. I was having problems with the baseball choke for some reason. I do them all the time in no gi but grabbing the gi just gets me wrapped around the axle.

Grappled a couple of rounds afterwards and had a great time. Went one hard round with a really strong green belt who was super aggressive and then told him to go about 50 percent and just work on movements. I showed him how he kept setting himself up for submissions when he was pressing so hard.

Grappled with my buddy Mark by letting him start from KOB and he dang near snapped my head off with the baseball choke we were working. I was able to defend enough to sweep him and get mount. Loads of fun. I have really enjoyed the positional work I have done all week. It is a keeper.

Best of all Laney wanted to go to BJJ and she had a great time as well. No Jits for her but she did get in some gymnastics practice while we were there. I think she is feeling better! She says yes as she is sitting in my lap while I am typing this!