Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #1511
Derek Weaver

Good to hear your daughter is feeling better. Your son is fully legit on that mushroom. Big time potential.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #1512
Derek Simonds

Sunday March 14

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Band Work

Household chores for time! Not that anyone needs to know this but I picked up 3 full plastic grocery bags of dog crap in the back yard yesterday. I also weeded the yard while picking up crap. I am kind of perturbed I pay tru-green to spray for weeds once a quarter and I am thinking that the dude is only doing the front yard...

Monday March 15

This is my 5/3/1 week and last night I felt like I was crashing into it.

D W/U
10 minutes walking / jogging
EC Foam Rolling

Press 45 X 5, 5, 75 X 5, 105 X 5, 115 X 3, 130 X 3 (Freaking Huge PR!)
P/U 6, 6, 6, 5, 5

Bench 45 X 10, 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 155 X 10, 165 X 10
DB Rows 50 X12, 65 X 12, 12, 20

BB Flexion 45, 55, 60, 65 all X 20
BB Crush 45, 55, 60, 65 all X 20
BB Extension 11 X 20, 21 X 20 X 3

I was 3/4 of the way up on the 4th rep and I just let my air out and racked it. I was so happy with 3 that I didn't even fight it on the 4th. I have not ever made 130 X 1 in a work set before, only in a PR attempt. Hell in December I missed 130! I am so excited to keep on progressing in the press. Apparently I needed more me and more hypertrophy.

Yesterday I did a little custom work on the bench. I took the side grinder to it and removed some extraneous bs that was sticking out and I made a block that goes under the back of the bench to keep it from moving. It is an adjustable and it just wasn't solid in the flat position. All fixed. I also put my mountain bike on the indoor trainer for some LSD. Now I can row one day and ride one day.

I just saw that my log was over 50,000 views.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:31 AM   #1513
Allen Yeh

Nice PR. I'm eyeing that push press thing that Don was talking about...The most I've ever jerked was....250 something, now I don't know what I'm at.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #1514
Derek Simonds

I read that today. Very interesting.

Monday March 15 (PM)

Trained with Rich for 45 minutes. Worked the Americana defense in this months Gracie Insider. That is a solid technique for defending the Americana. Also worked some spider guard positions and sweeps.

Fundamentals worked guillotine and defense, side control to mount and basic armbar from mount.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #1515
Derek Weaver

Your log is popular Derek. Nice PR on the press.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #1516
Allen Yeh

Geez me and Steven are fighting it out for 3rd, while Gant is def a bit ahead of Derek.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #1517
Kevin Perry

Good job on the press, and your log popularity
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #1518
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
Good job on the press, and your log popularity
Gant's log wins hands down. Thanks on the press. I have been really focused on it. I spoke with a friend last night and we were talking about all the shoulder / scapula rehab / prehab stuff I have been doing and it has really paid dividends. I had a break through when I trained with David Whitley in TN as he helped me understand how to press without moving my scapulas and I know for a fact Gant's suggestion of one day a week hypertrophy added to the mix has made all the difference in the world. Reading Glenn's response this morning in the Push Press thread just reinforces it. Last week was the first week I added in Jerks and plan on keeping them as well.

Ultimately I am still weak as circus lemonade in the overhead pressing department, but you know what I can see light ahead. My goal right now is a BW press. When I get there I will reevaluate what I am after.

Allen I think I started my log here in March of 2007, you started about the same time I think. We certainly have been consistent.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #1519
Derek Simonds

March 16th Tuesday

Walk and Jog 10 minutes
D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Agile 8

FS 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 150 X 3, 170 X 6 (lost my form on the 6th rep, not a leg issue but torso is weak)

Sumo DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 255 X 5, 275 X 3, 300 X 3, 325 X 1

1 Hand Pinch 2 10's X 30 seconds X 3, 2 Hand Pinch 2 25's X 10 seconds X 10

Sumo DL'ing is very interesting. I am playing with it trying to find out where I am. The 325 was like butter. Next cycle I am going to pick a top weight probably start at 315 and do 5's at 315, 325, 335 and see how it goes. I need to watch some videos but it feels like my hands get in the way at the top. That was the only thing that felt off.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #1520
Craig Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I had a break through when I trained with David Whitley in TN as he helped me understand how to press without moving my scapulas and I know for a fact Gant's suggestion of one day a week hypertrophy added to the mix has made all the difference in the world.
Derek, can you explain what Dave showed you? I think I have issues with this as well.... Thanks-

Craig
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote