Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #1521
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Brown View Post
Derek, can you explain what Dave showed you? I think I have issues with this as well.... Thanks-

Craig
I think I can explain it. RKC guys say to put your scapulas in your back pocket. I think that might be a Pavel quote. David kept telling me that and it wasn't the first time I had heard something along those lines. I can remember talking with Garrett and Greg about it years ago.

My problem was that I would actually move my scapulas when I would press. Doing that means that I didn't have a stable platform and it was putting all kinds of weird stress on my GH joint. The best way to explain it would be that as I would press the weight over head I would actually shrug my shoulders up to get to what was full extension for me. Man as I have learned more about the shoulder I realize just how screwed up that is.

If you think that this is happening you can check it by watching yourself in a mirror or have someone else observe. If your shoulders rise during the lift you are doing it wrong.

Ok so how did we fix it? I was doing a bottoms up press with a 16 KG KB. In doing that I had to do two things one is to find vertical for the pressing arm and two I had to keep my scapulas completely depressed and retracted. It bugs the crap out of me that I have known this all these years but it has never clicked until that moment. Part of the reason a BUP worked for this so well is that if you get off center even a little bit it becomes much more difficult to hold.

Here is one other thing we did just to emphasize the feeling. Once I had done several BUP's I got down in a pushup position on my knuckles. From there I retracted my scapulas and squeezed them down as tight as possible. Once I had everything locked in place David had me lift my right arm off the ground. My left side was the side I was having all the trouble with. Once I lifted my arm off the ground he said remember this feeling, that is a packed shoulder and that is what you are after before you press.

So now before I press I take a big breath, actively squeeze my entire upper back while rolling my scapulas down and in and I take the weight. It is weird but I definitely am telling myself to squeeze down with my back while pressing up with the weight.

I hope this helps and I will answer any question you have and share some of my prehab / rehab stuff if you need it.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #1522
Derek Simonds

March 19 Friday

D W/U
Walk the dogs 10 minutes
EC Foam Rolling

Cuban Press 12 X 2 3 LB, 5 LB
Low Band Pulls 20 X 2
RKC Armbars
Push Up Plus from Knees 12 X 2

Bench 45 X 5, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 170 X 5, 195 X 3, 215 X 5 (HUGE FREAKING PR!)
DB Row with Fat Gripz (from now on will be referred to as DBRFG) 50 X 10, 12, 14, 16, 20

Power Curl 45 X 10, 95 X 7, 7
Press 45 X 12, 95 X 12, 11

Last two days were just ridiculous. Up at 3:30 AM on Wednesday morning, fly to Bangor ME meet with clients, fly to Nashville crash at 10:30 sleep through 30 minutes of wake up calls, haul ass to airport to pick up my boss. meet all day in Nashville, get to airport fly home and get in my own bed about 11:30 last night. I wasn't even sure I would wake up in time to work out this morning. I was however excited about hitting a big PR today so I was down stairs at 6:30 warming up.

The bench just felt good today. Tracy was spotting me and she said there is no way I can pull this off you if you lose it. I told her it would be ok. I set up and the weight just went up no problem. Last rep I was lifting my arse off the bench just a little. I do not think I have ever benched 215 for more than 1 rep.

On the DB rows I had kind of an epiphany. I was looking at the fat gripz and said why am I not using these when I row. DUH! So that will be a regular part of my workout from now on.

Next cycle I am going to 100 LB's for the press hypertrophy. One more day and then so much needed rest!

Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #1523
Craig Brown

Thanks! I will play with that info...I think I was shruging to finish as well. Video time tonight.

Craig
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #1524
Derek Simonds

March 19 Friday Noon

BJJ Competition Class

Comp class turned into open mat. One of our purple belts has a fight April 3rd and then heads to Abu Dhabi right after. He was training hard today.

I rolled with a wide variety of guys. I worked several different combos. Mostly today was about setting up attacks. I played KOB to armbar with every guy I rolled with. Worked very well for me. I also did the Americana to armbar when they grab their own arm and try and roll back to stop the Americana. That was freaking stellar. I got that on 2 big guys who I would never try to submit with an Americana. They both bit instantly. I smiled during these matches. I did get an inside armlock where I had trapped the guys arm against my side and when he tried to pull it out I hipped out and torqued his elbow across my body. He said that he could feel it in his shoulder bad. That is another one going into the arsenal.

Finished with my buddy Wes, I started in his guard and tried that stoopid (cause I don't do it right) reach around pass. He threw a triangle immediately as I let my shoulder dip too far in. I spent the next minute protecting from the triangle then passing his guard. Pissed me off. I have been practicing that pass but have not done it right in a match yet.

Ended up grappling non stop other than a few minutes between partners for an hour. I took a shower and was instantly soaked with sweat as soon as I got in the car. I tried to eat but just couldn't force anything down. Gatorade you are my friend.

Heading back to train with Rich and hit up fundamentals.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #1525
Derek Simonds

Marc@h 19 Friday PM

BJJ with Rich 1 hour. Guard pass, side control, KOB, mount, bottom/ guy sweeps and starts in guard. Great training.

BJJ Fundamentals: osoto gari, armbar, armbar escape, side control, KOB, mount, armbar, armbar escape, side control and so on.

Grappled with a guy on my line. Short squat, big guy. He would give up an armbar attack to escape mount. Wild.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #1526
Derek Simonds

March 20 Saturday

Dog Walk
D W/U
EC FOam Rolling
Agile 6
B W/U

PC&J 45 X 5, 95 X 3, 115 X 3, 125 X 3, 135 X 3, 145 X 1

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 3, 265 X 5, 305 X 3, 335 X 3
SDL 335 X 1

BS 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 185 X 10, 225 X 5

There is 16 4-8 year old girls at the house for a spa bday party for Laney. Jr and me are doing the only thing we can. RUNNING AWAY!

I sued straps on the top set of DL's as my hands are smoked from jits. I think I am smoked all around. I also think that it is possible that I am a sumo DL'er. The 335 for 1 was so easy it was scary. I am going to work my way up to a heavy single with the sumo style on first day of next cycle.

Training today at BJJ and then I am taking at least 3 maybe 4 days completely off. I need it.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #1527
Allen Yeh

Good job with the bench!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #1528
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Good job with the bench!
Thank you sir. It has been a long time coming.

March 20 Saturday

BJJ All levels. I was exhausted going into the class and it was evident. My heartrate went through the roof after just a few minutes of rolling around. Fabio was teaching some of his moves and most of the class was simply like HUH? He can move in ways that make you shake your head. We were doing stuff off of a knee through pass where you would actually grab the guys belt and spin you and him into back mount.

I actually love playing that stuff for fun but don't do it in competition.

Played monkey in the middle from closed guard. I got swept by a brown belt, passed a blue belt and stayed in for a while. We had a visitor who was wearing a white belt no stripes. So I just went easy and this guy jumped all over me like a spider monkey! It was funny, he passed my guard and I said hmm that belt isn't indicative of your training. He trains nogi in KC somewhere.

I ended up back in the middle and stayed there the rest of the time. My right hand which was already giving me grief got caught in a gi and twisted up big time. The first three fingers the first joint is super swollen. I iced them as soon as I got home.

You know the old joke, does your face hurt? Cause its killing me... Well lets just say that my face should be killing all of you right now.

Jr had a front row seat to some of our pro guys training for their upcoming fights April 3rd. Last night 3 of our pro guys fought in Tampa and all won their fights.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #1529
Derek Simonds

My bird finger on the right hand looks like an uncooked sausage. Swollen, red and blue. Quite irritating actually. Ice, ibuprofen and possibly a splint tomorrow if it isn't responding.

Did some stretching and foam rolling plan on doing some more before bed.

Another early morning departure. Off to Nashville and plan on trying to hook up with Allen tomorrow night.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:44 AM   #1530
Derek Simonds

March 22 and 23

Meetings for time

Hotel calisthenics and stretching

March 24 Wednesday

My son is 10 today. I really can't believe I have a 10 year old boy. WOW!

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Agile 6

FS 45 X 5, 55 X 5, 70 X 5, 95 X 5

Press 45 X 5, 55 X 5, 70 X 5, 95 X 5
P/U 3 X 4

5 minutes of club swinging

Lunges and various other things working with my neighbor that started working out with us today. Oh and I got a set of stainless steel 5 LB clubs from Ryan Pitts at www.strongergrip.com they are rock solid.

Seriously I don't know how you professional coaches do it. My buddy that worked out with us today is the classic hey I am going to Vegas in 55 days and want to tone up people. So I had him FS and it was a train wreck, I worked on that with him for 5 sets and have decided that air squats are going to be the order progressing to goblet squats and then maybe box squats. Ankles, hips, glutes they are all jacked up. If he sits down, literally just sitting down his knees cave in for him to be able to sit.

So pressing should be a little easier. Nope. Just pressing the bar overhead he was at least 15 degrees forward of his head and could not straighten his elbows. I switched him to a neutral grip DB press and it was just as jacked. Seriously have no idea how he moves with all the weird compensation patterns he has. Things he could do, pull ups and lunges. Both of those were in line with normal. He told me that he can bench like a maniac though...

I gave him a bunch of rehab / prehab stuff and we will see where this progresses.