Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 AM   #161
Derek Simonds

October 7 Rehab Day 41

Painstorm in the Park with Leo from Crossfit Evolution
More like pain shower for me since I wimped out on the weight.

How many rounds of
50 M Bear Crawl
7 Reps Bear Complex
can you complete in 40 minutes?

I did 9 with 61 LB's. My legs are great but my upper body is pretty sore. The traps are the worst.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/

Last edited by Derek Simonds : 10-30-2007 at 04:17 AM. Reason: since when does wimped get spelled with an H
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 AM   #162
Derek Simonds

October 8 Rehab Day 42

Rest, Rest Rest, Recover

Old 10-09-2007, 04:39 AM   #163
Derek Simonds

October 9 Rehab Day 43

WU Row 1000 M

FS 45, 81, 171 X 3 X 5
CLN DL 171 X 3 X 4
PP 81, 91, 101, 111, 111, 131
Chins W/ Green Band 3 X 10
Bench 115 X 10 X 3
OH S/U 15 LB 3 X 8

PP felt good on the push and the press not so good trying to bring the weight down. I could have worked around the 131 range for all sets if not for the soreness in shoulder area, mainly ligament, tendon not muscle.

Timing was much better this morning all the work in 1:10.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 AM   #164
Derek Simonds

October 10th Rehab Day 44

BS 185, 185, 187, 188.5, 190
SN Pull 135 X 3 X 3
Rack Jerk 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165 (PR), 175 (Miss), 170 (PR), 175 (PR)

For purely aesthetic reasons
BB Curl 45 X 12 X 2
DB Curl 25 X 12 X 2 (Neutral Grip)

No metcon today 2:30 of BJJ tonight. The rack jerks just clicked today. My arms are significantly weaker than the last time I tried for a PR but my legs are a lot stronger. Apparently the jerk is a leg based exercise

Two more days until V-Day. I am going to really push hard the next 2 days so I can take 3 -4 days completely off for recovery. Starting Tuesday I will roll back into it at half volume so this will be my unloading week.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:31 AM   #165
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Rack Jerk 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165 (PR), 175 (Miss), 170 (PR), 175 (PR)
Nice!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #166
Derek Simonds

Oh I am paying for it. My shoulders are on fire!

Old 10-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #167
Derek Simonds

October 10th Rehab Day 44 BJJ PM

Fundamentals,
Brian has amped up the warm-up significantly. I was amazed at how many people were dying through it. Started class with hip throw. There was a camera man there filming class and he filmed me and my partner doing the throw. I was the demo dummy for Brian which is always fun when he is talking and you are choking in a triangle. We worked one of my favorite closed guard sweeps where you shrimp hips and place the shin on their stomach and sweep from there. We also used same setup to go to triangle by bringing foot to hip and pointing both knees at ceiling.

Advanced,
Worked what I call a firemans takedown. I struggled with the transition from the throw to the control. We also worked a sweep from the open guard where you threaded your leg through pushed and moved on top. I wasn't too good with this either. First time grappling in over 2 months and man was I exhausted. It is just a totally different energy level required. First roll was with a stud purple who worked with me and worked me over. He tried to set up some positions where I could work on the stuff from class, which I appreciated unfortunately I couldn't pull any of them off. Second roll with a big guy and had a keylock twice just couldn't finish it because of pain in my wrist. Dang It! I only went twice after the 2 hours of class because I didn't want to over do it especially with the workout I had this morning. It was good to be back on the mat...

Old 10-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #168
Derek Simonds

October 11th Rehab Day 45 BJJ AM Private

I talked with Brian about my inability to get the keylock so we worked on an additional technique where once I got the hand position I placed my forehead in the hole of my hands by his forearm and drove my head to the ground. Definitely added a new dimension to my game.

Drilled side control to heavy man to get the muscle memory back.

From heavy man we worked attack to keylock by letting them reach their hand through and trapping by placing on your hand on back of your own head. When they try to pull it free push it out and pin it with other hand and complete keylock like above. Worked elbow lock where you step over their head and grab your own butt and flex your hips forward for the pin. Next evolution of this was to pin their arm between your thighs and let them think they were escaping and use your legs for a keylock. This was freaking awesome. I am going to practice this religiously until I get it down cold. There is no way that someones arm can overpower your legs.

Great class.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #169
Derek Simonds

October 12th Rehab Day 46

Little Linda
205 DL
135 Bench
95 Clean (Full Squat)
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 For Time

39 Minutes that was kind of like a painstorm. Heaviest and fastest Linda to date.

3 X 25 Situps

Vasectomy at 12:30 oh what fun. Recoup no exercise Sat, Sun and Mon then 1/2 volume for the remainder of the week.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:12 AM   #170
Derek Simonds

October 13th Rehab Day 47

Vasectomy Recovery

To quote Vanilla Ice "Ice Ice Baby" My wife is really taking care of me and I appreciate it. Advice for anyone getting ready for the snip, be prepared to do nothing for 48 hours. I am less than 24 hours in and I have slept a ton. Feels great to do nothing. We are getting ready for my daughters soccer game and then nothing but the couch, Good Calories Bad Calories and college football for me.