Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #1761
Derek Simonds

3 August 2010

Some pictures from the Keys. First is Jr snorkeling at around 15 feet. I am so proud of him that he learned to clear his ears and swim that deep. He worked hard the first day to get all the way down.

This was Lane Dog at somewhere around 6 feet. She couldn't clear her ears but that didn't stop her. She spent more time underwater then on top.

Me and the bestest girl ever at Islamorada Fish Camp waiting on some grub.

Jr and Matt eating some oysters.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #1762
Derek Simonds

Here is what Jr did any moment that he wasn't snorkeling. He caught barracuda, mango snapper, needle fish, crabs, grunt, pin fish basically anything that swam close enough to the dock he was on.

Jr catching the setting sun on Florida Bay. We go to Morada Bay every night for drinks, live music and the sunset. Wonderful way to close off the day.

Lane Dog catching the sun also.

I truly feel like I am the luckiest guy ever...

Now back to your regularly scheduled workouts tonight or tomorrow.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #1763
Leon Robotham

That place looks beautiful Derek. I love the family picture with the lake behind, the lighting is awesome!
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #1764
Derek Simonds

Thanks Leon. That water is Florida Bay or basically the Gulf of Mexico. There are little mangrove islands all throughout the water but if you headed towards the setting sun you would end up in Texas or Mexico more likely as the sun this time of year is south of west.

August 4th 2010

D W/U
Foam Rolling for the first time in a while it felt really good.
Band Work

Press 45 X 5, 5, 5 75 X 5, 95 X 5 X 3
P/U 3,4,5,6,5,5
DL X 5 up to 275

I got my new plate loadable mace and clubs from Ryan Pitts at www.strongergrip.com. Wow are they cool. I did 10 minutes non stop with the clubs plus a 5 lb plate. It was too much weight but I was having a blast. I don't really know any routines other than the one I have been doing with my 4 lb hammers. My forearms are smoked. I finished with some simple levering with the clubs. I need to pick up some 2.5 lb standard plates to make the clubs a little less awkward feeling.

Had to renew my DL and it was the easiest experience I have ever had at the licensing agency. Now at work and ready to make it happen. BJJ tonight and Olympic lifts tomorrow.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #1765
Allen Yeh

Nice pics, looks like a great 40th!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #1766
Derek Weaver

Nice pictures. Sounds like a great week. Happy Birthday.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #1767
Derek Simonds

4 August 2010 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Double leg takedown, kimura sweep, kimura and kimura when you pin the wrist in the triangle between your leg and their leg. Pretty fun little variant. If you can jam the wrist in there your opponent doesn't like it and immediately yanks up to escape and bam kimura.

BJJ Advanced: Arm drag judo throw and a couple of variants, more knee over guard recovery techniques and my partner and I worked a couple of chokes from north south at the same time (loop and guillotine) I liked the loop a lot especially with a gator roll for the finish.

Grappled 4 X 6 minute rounds. First with one of the other purples who has an incredible half guard game. We agreed half guard all the way and went at it. If you passed or swept the other guy gave up half and you started working again. I surprised myself with 2 sweeps. First I actually ducked through the back door and took his back, second was a variant on grabbing the opposite ankle under the leg and basically doing a single. Second grapple with a blue who was a college wrestler and he was just going at me non stop. I played a conservative defensive game and took his back right at the end. He wore me out though. 3rd was with a 2 stripe brown who has an incredible game. He is the best at controlling your hips and legs through hand position of anyone I have ever trained with. It always seems like he has a hold of your pants pinning a leg or your hips. He did some variant of a collar choke with a spin off knee on belly and I tapped. Last roll was with my training partner and he for some reason left his arm stretched out straight by my ear and I side armbarred him.

I had no explosiveness tonight, none, zip, zilch and nada. The brown was telling me work more and I said yes sir as soon as I can...

My wife just informed me that I am to come up stairs and give her a massage. And as a wise man once said give and ye shall receive...

Old 08-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #1768
Derek Simonds

And thanks for the birthday wishes and compliments on the pictures. It was a blast.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #1769
Derek Simonds

5 August 2010 Thursday

D W/U

BS 45 X 5,5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5,5,5
Bench 45 X 5,5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5,5,5
FGDBR 65 X 10 X 3

65 BB Crush 20 X 3
65 BB Curlz 10 X 3

In and out. A little tired this morning and need some real food. Luckily there is a deli here that makes good breakfast so I will be eating at my desk shortly.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #1770
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
4 August 2010 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Double leg takedown, kimura sweep, kimura and kimura when you pin the wrist in the triangle between your leg and their leg. Pretty fun little variant. If you can jam the wrist in there your opponent doesn't like it and immediately yanks up to escape and bam kimura.

BJJ Advanced: Arm drag judo throw and a couple of variants, more knee over guard recovery techniques and my partner and I worked a couple of chokes from north south at the same time (loop and guillotine) I liked the loop a lot especially with a gator roll for the finish.

Grappled 4 X 6 minute rounds. First with one of the other purples who has an incredible half guard game. We agreed half guard all the way and went at it. If you passed or swept the other guy gave up half and you started working again. I surprised myself with 2 sweeps. First I actually ducked through the back door and took his back, second was a variant on grabbing the opposite ankle under the leg and basically doing a single. Second grapple with a blue who was a college wrestler and he was just going at me non stop. I played a conservative defensive game and took his back right at the end. He wore me out though. 3rd was with a 2 stripe brown who has an incredible game. He is the best at controlling your hips and legs through hand position of anyone I have ever trained with. It always seems like he has a hold of your pants pinning a leg or your hips. He did some variant of a collar choke with a spin off knee on belly and I tapped. Last roll was with my training partner and he for some reason left his arm stretched out straight by my ear and I side armbarred him.

I had no explosiveness tonight, none, zip, zilch and nada. The brown was telling me work more and I said yes sir as soon as I can...

My wife just informed me that I am to come up stairs and give her a massage. And as a wise man once said give and ye shall receive...
I've recently experienced the intensity that wrestlers bring to the mat. Crazy!
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote