Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #1771
Dave Coughlin

Super cool pics from the vacation man, it looks like everyone enjoyed themselves. Those vacations are merely figments of imagination for us, with two in diapers!

Nice work on your first days back to reality, those can be tough adjustments....
Dave Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #1772
Derek Simonds

9 August 2010

Ok this was the last of my birthday celebrations for real. We went up to the lake for the weekend with my sister and her family and a whole bunch of our friends. It was also a birthday celebration for my bro in law. We definitely made the most of it.

I taught two 5 year old boys how to knee board and I am not sure who was more happy them or their parents. Delaney got her 360 on the kneeboard and nailed 2 last night on the last runs of the weekend. Jr dang near cleared the wake on his wakeboard and when he does that I will officially have nothing else to teach him as far as my wakeboarding skills. I decided that I was going to barefoot last night and I never went very far... I am mighty sore from the effort today.

I ran the dogs Sunday morning 30 minutes AHR of 130 mixed in walking to keep the HR under 150. BJJ tonight and lifting tomorrow.

Tracy has decided that she wants to do a detox diet again and will be taking me along for the ride. August looks to be a good recovery month. Back to school for the kids next Monday.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #1773
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
9 August 2010

Ok this was the last of my birthday celebrations for real. We went up to the lake for the weekend with my sister and her family and a whole bunch of our friends. It was also a birthday celebration for my bro in law. We definitely made the most of it.

I taught two 5 year old boys how to knee board and I am not sure who was more happy them or their parents. Delaney got her 360 on the kneeboard and nailed 2 last night on the last runs of the weekend. Jr dang near cleared the wake on his wakeboard and when he does that I will officially have nothing else to teach him as far as my wakeboarding skills. I decided that I was going to barefoot last night and I never went very far... I am mighty sore from the effort today.

I ran the dogs Sunday morning 30 minutes AHR of 130 mixed in walking to keep the HR under 150. BJJ tonight and lifting tomorrow.

Tracy has decided that she wants to do a detox diet again and will be taking me along for the ride. August looks to be a good recovery month. Back to school for the kids next Monday.
Dude! You do realise that you have FAR too much fun, right??
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 AM   #1774
Allen Yeh

1.5 week birthday party!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:58 AM   #1775
Derek Simonds

Leon I do realize especially when you go to jits and get your arse thoroughly handed to you for the second Monday in a row. Allen it was originally going to be a month long party but do to concerns over my liver it was trimmed back!

9 August 2010

BJJ Fundamentals: Rear readlock escape, mount escape, collar choke from mount, collar choke from guard after getting rolled from mount, armbar off collar choke defense

BJJ Advanced: Spider guard mobility drills, spider guard sweep from standing, spider guard sweep from kneeling variant with the knee through, grappling

Same as last week first roll was with the college wrestler and he was all over me again. Lots more movement and escapes but darn it two weeks in a row with no sweeps. Next was with the brown belt and I went as hard as I could. I escaped a lot of positions and thought I was going to get an armbar off a stack but he did a great job blocking my leg by controlling the pants. I ended up getting tapped with a brazilian neck tie'ish kind of choke out of the stack. Sucked big time. Rolled with one of our pro mma 145'ers and tried to move and not just smash him. Twice he rolled out to a heel hook. He didn't do it but just locked it down. I need to watch that for no gi especially. Finished with a blue belt who is progressing nicely. We had a good active roll and I took his back and finished with a collar choke right as time expired.

10 August 2010

D W/U

BS 45 X5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5,5,5

Bench 45 X5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 160 X 5,5,5
Chin Up 4,5,6,7,6
DL 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 2, 285 X 5

65 LB BB Flexion 20,20,20
70 LB BB Crush 20,20,20

21 LB EZ Curl Extension 20,20,20
+5 LB Club Front Lever 10,10,10
+5 LB Club Weaver Stick Lever X 5,7,10

Off to work.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #1776
Derek Weaver

Livers are accessories. Nothing wrong with a 1.5 week to 1 month long B-Day party.

(I kid, my dad had a liver transplant. They're important.)

Here's the ten day forecast for Pleasanton. Fremont is just down the freeway.
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/94566

I'm sure it's similar to Florida right now, but maybe a touch cooler (it's actually much cooler than usual at this time of year), and maybe a touch less humid. Beach is about an hour away.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #1777
Leon Robotham

Have you seen the match between Romulo and Barnett? After the match Romulo said he learned more about toe holds and heel hooks in that match than he has in his BJJ career. He aslo said that he was caught with a heel hook but wasnt going to tap out of pride for bjj or something to that effect.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb6...o-barral_sport

Barnett's a good sport. He rocked up to this comp and thought it was nogi, but instead of just leaving he found himself a gi and got on the mat!
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #1778
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Here's the ten day forecast for Pleasanton. Fremont is just down the freeway.
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/94566

I'm sure it's similar to Florida right now, but maybe a touch cooler (it's actually much cooler than usual at this time of year), and maybe a touch less humid. Beach is about an hour away.
The humidity here is probably close to 90%. We have been around 100 heat index pretty much for the entire summer. Some days we have been up around 105. I would enjoy some weather with no humidity.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:18 AM   #1779
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
Have you seen the match between Romulo and Barnett? After the match Romulo said he learned more about toe holds and heel hooks in that match than he has in his BJJ career. He aslo said that he was caught with a heel hook but wasnt going to tap out of pride for bjj or something to that effect.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb6...o-barral_sport

Barnett's a good sport. He rocked up to this comp and thought it was nogi, but instead of just leaving he found himself a gi and got on the mat!
I had a hard time seeing exactly what was going on in the match. I could tell that Romulo was arguing with the ref about a bunch of stuff. In the end it looked like they were going to give it to Barnett but changed their mind.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #1780
Derek Simonds

11 August 2010

1 Dog + 40 LB Vest 22 minutes AHR of 116. My HR was much lower then previous walks and I wonder if it is because it was cooler today or I am better rested...