Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #1821
Derek Simonds

30 August 2010 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Good class but had to cut out early and didn't stay for advanced. A very accomplished wrestler and pro MMA guy came and trained at the academy after I left. Blah. Oh well sometimes you just have to be responsible...

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #1822
Derek Weaver

How many total training sessions are you getting in per week these days between BJJ and the weight room?

Saturday looked like a real nice day all around.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 AM   #1823
Derek Simonds

It sounds nutty but here is what a typical week looks like. Remember everything is fluid based on family and travel.

M, W, F Weight training. Right now I am reinventing some parts of my lifts and it is vaguely a SS'ish template. Don't know how much longer I will go like this as it is a grind to get everything done in under 90 minutes.

M, W, S BJJ usually 2 hours once again it is fluid so just see what happens. My goal is to go to the academy 2 times per week on average so that at the end of the year I have 200 hours on the mat. That keeps me on track with getting my BB in 2015.

T, H or Sun Some type of cardio not to exceed 152 HR. It seems like everyone I know is getting ready for running season this fall so I am also. The running fits in with what I am trying to do for my BJJ anyways.

Conditioning and weights are all done at 5:30 in the morning. BJJ is only done when the kids have gymnastics or they can go with me. Saturdays they go with me. Monday and Wednesday they both train until 7:30. So the schedule works for me.

Now here is something I haven't mentioned yet as I was waiting for the details. I got selected to be part of Joel Jamiesons BioForce Beta. I don't know all the details yet but expect to get them this week. I figured I would give whatever the program is a go for the beta period and try and learn on the way. Here is the equipment he said would be needed.

- Stopwatch
- Tape measure (minimum of 30 feet in length)
- HR monitor (Strongly recommended but not mandatory)
- Free weights for Bench Press and Squat
- Station for doing pull ups on
- Someone to spot you and count reps

31 August 2010 Tuesday

25 Minutes of running. Nice easy intervals with a neighbor.

Lots of grip work in the garage.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #1824
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Now here is something I haven't mentioned yet as I was waiting for the details. I got selected to be part of Joel Jamiesons BioForce Beta. I don't know all the details yet but expect to get them this week. I figured I would give whatever the program is a go for the beta period and try and learn on the way. Here is the equipment he said would be needed.
Man they just let everyone into that beta....

Seriously though, what is it? I had the emails and got "selected" but have 0 idea what it means.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #1825
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Man they just let everyone into that beta....

Seriously though, what is it? I had the emails and got "selected" but have 0 idea what it means.
That is why I didn't say anything. He claims he only let in 100 but we will see about that. With these kind of things if you want 100 you probably got to email back 500. I am just sitting here waiting to see. I am pretty sure it is his online tool to give you feedback about where you are fitness wise against his ideal MMA fighter. My best guess is you do the evaluation, it recommends a course of action and you record your workouts and progress in it.

But who knows. If it is interesting I am in for 6 weeks if not I will stay the course.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #1826
Allen Yeh

Wendler RE: rack pulls

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._big_weight s

Hm..

Quote:
So let's say you're running my 5/3/1 program and wish to add rack pulls into the training. Because it's a bigger assistance exercise, we can easily account for it with some minor changes:
Rack Deadlifts: 4 x 6-8 reps at 80% of rack dead max
Truth is though, that's a major pain in the ass, so just pick a setting below your knees and tug away.
Interesting stuff.

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 08-31-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #1827
Derek Simonds

I am certainly guilty of the straps and working up to a heavy single on rack pulls. When I was doing rack pulls consistently was also when I had my heaviest conventional DL. When I get done with this SS cycle and go back to 5/3/1 I will revisit rack pulls.

There is no doubt his snark is weapons grade.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #1828
Derek Simonds

1 September 2010 Wednesday

Dog Walk
D W/U
Foam Rolling
B W/U

PC + PJ 45 X 5, 95 X 3,2 115 X 2, 135 X 1, 145 X 1 X 10 on the minute

Press 45 X 5,5 75 X 5, 95 X 1, 105 X 5,5,5 + 1 for the Ranger in the sky
P/U 4 X 6

Ab Rollout 10,10,5
Elbow Flexion N,W,R 50 X 12

Tricep Extension 50 X 12 X 3 + Prison Yard Press X 25 AFAP

Pretty pleased with the PC's they felt good. The jerks were more work for sure. I missed the 5th jerk by throwing the weight too far and then missing the catch with my left hand. Instead of trying to catch it I just dropped it. The presses felt surprisingly good. The first set I thought this might be tough and then the next 2 sets no problem. The ab rollouts got me though. The first set 10 was easy the second 10 was a challenge and the last set my lower abs cramped up on me and I surrendered. RPE PC 6, PJ 8.5, Press 7

Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #1829
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I am certainly guilty of the straps and working up to a heavy single on rack pulls. When I was doing rack pulls consistently was also when I had my heaviest conventional DL. When I get done with this SS cycle and go back to 5/3/1 I will revisit rack pulls.

There is no doubt his snark is weapons grade.
I've actually never done rack pulls (don't have a rack) so, this may be a dumb question.

In addition to working a sticking point (say just below or above the knees depending on the lifter etc.) and aiding the lockout, did you think there was a psychological carryover?

I saw something that Tony Gentilcore wrote regarding board presses and how he liked them even for raw lifters since it got the athlete used to feeling a heavy weight in addition to working what is usually the weakest point in the bench press.

I figured there may be something similar going on with rack pulls since it seems that most people can pull a substantial amount of weight relative to their deadlift from the deck.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #1830
Derek Simonds

I agree with the psychological aspect of it. Where it gets dicey is what Wendler said about if the pull starts above the knee. Your form is completely and totally different from there. Adam Glass was doing really high rack pulls with 1000-1500 lb's working on the tendons and ligature. So many variables with all this stuff. I liked the idea of 6-8 reps though.