Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #1831
Derek Weaver

I see. I really wonder sometimes how a lift so simple as the deadlift can be so complicated when trying to assist it.

Starting above the knee for a rack pull changes the pull perhaps too much. Starting from a deficit would indicate something similar with regards to the necessary change in set up.

Confusing sometimes.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #1832
Derek Simonds

I like to think that it is just step up and pull.... but it really isn't but it is if you catch my drift.

I have pulled from a deficit, rack pulled, pulled with straps, pulled clean grip, pulled snatch grip, pulled snatch grip from a box and pulled sumo and I still am weak as circus lemonade in the DL. I am hoping that this go around is going to be a breakthrough for me. I know I am feeling really good in the sumo DL not so much conventional but I am not going to stop until I can get a clean 405 conventional DL. That might take a year but I will get there.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #1833
Derek Simonds

1 September 2010 Wed PM

BJJ Fundamentals: osoto-gari, guillotine, guillotine defense, leg over shoulder guard pass, armbar from mount

BJJ Advanced: Takedown practice any entry you want. I worked osoto-gari and uchi-mata, guard pass knee up same side, guard pass knee up opposite side to 100 kilo, grapple.

Grappled 2 X 10 minute rounds tonight. First round was with another purple and I set the pace and worked a bunch of different moves. No real subs (got a tap for smothering him from the mount) but definitely won the positional battles. I wanted to flow more but he was using a lot of strength so I responded in kind. Last match was with a 4 stripe white belt who in my mind is probably just like Leon. Big, honking strong as an ox and a go getter. We had a lot of fun. I went for his back 4 times the first 3 he literally pressed me straight off of him. I was laughing and did not know how to stop him. So I kept doing it till I got his back. I had to take his back from the turtle cause any other way he was so strong he just defended. I should have gone for an armbar when he pressed me but I was so amazed at the time I didn't think of it. I was a lot more free flowing with him but there was still lots of muscling being done on both sides. I told him how impressed I was and he asked for criticism and I told him just keep doing what you are doing.

After class I stayed and worked the armbar to triangle from Saturday and taking the back from closed guard for a little bit. Lots of good stuff tonight.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #1834
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I like to think that it is just step up and pull.... but it really isn't but it is if you catch my drift.

I have pulled from a deficit, rack pulled, pulled with straps, pulled clean grip, pulled snatch grip, pulled snatch grip from a box and pulled sumo and I still am weak as circus lemonade in the DL. I am hoping that this go around is going to be a breakthrough for me. I know I am feeling really good in the sumo DL not so much conventional but I am not going to stop until I can get a clean 405 conventional DL. That might take a year but I will get there.
That italicized sentence is very, very true.

I think it's interesting in that a lot of powerlifters only deadlift once a week at the most. Often every 2-3 weeks or longer between pulls.

Others, like Cressey may program a higher volume of pulling per session and per week. It's all quasi black magic with the deadlift.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #1835
Dave Coughlin

Re: rack pulls in 531....

I haven't utilized rack pulls as assistance work for my DLs since I've started my 531 (about to start week 3 of my third 531 cycle); I've only used GHD situps (moderate reps), reverse hypers, pullups, and maybe even some good mornings. My own experience has that final max rep set beats me down so much, the last thing I want to do is go back to a movement similar to that of a deadlift...my back and hamstrings are usually pretty fried. That is true even moreso on my current 531 cycle, because I was able to find out my true 1RM DL and adjust my numbers a few pounds higher.
Dave Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #1836
Derek Simonds

Dave I am with you on being fried after the top set. The way I programmed assistance work in 5/3/1 was to do it on the opposite day. So on BS day I would do a DL focused assistance movement and on DL day I did a BS focused assistance movement. Don't know if that is ideal but it worked well for me.

A couple of things that are coming out of this rebuilding phase. My low back was not as strong as I though it was and I believe that has been a limiting factor on my BS. Item 2 I love to sumo DL. Todays set of 305 X 5 was pleasant. I don't know why sumo feels so much better. Maybe the shorter lever arms vs my longer torso, who knows it just feels good. Monday I got 305 X 3 conventional and I was gassed. I also have found rebuilding my BS that a slightly wider and feet more turned out position has made a world of difference on my ability to stay tight in the bottom. I think that those mWods have also made a difference today I squatted so low I hit the safety bars with my torso very upright and drove right out of the hole like it was nothing. Now I know I am not lifting that much weight, I was however pleased.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #1837
Derek Simonds

3 September 2010 Friday

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

BS 45 X 5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 3, 195 X 5,5,5
MR Planche Chin Ups (like Derek W linked to) 3 X 10
Bench 45 X 5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 160 X 5, 190 X 5,5,6

SDL 45 X 5, 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 305 X 5

RPE Bench 8.5, BS 7, DL 6.5

My abs hurt so bad from the ab roller on Weds. Ridiculous. The planche chin ups made my entire stomach scream. Must mean they work... I am very happy with the progress so far and am taking next week for recovery then back at it. Looking forward to seeing how far I can progress on BS and DL.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #1838
Leon Robotham

Damn, subbing someone by smothering them in side.. That's pretty cool!!

I've been told from a fridn of mine who's trained in Brazil for years that his teacher, Crezio De Souza would take mount and pull his gi over their head to try to suffocate them haha.
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #1839
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
Damn, subbing someone by smothering them in side.. That's pretty cool!!

I've been told from a fridn of mine who's trained in Brazil for years that his teacher, Crezio De Souza would take mount and pull his gi over their head to try to suffocate them haha.
I don't realize sometimes how much leverage (meaning ultimately smothering) you can apply when you get a high mount and then lean out over their head and work to attack an arm. Which is what I was doing his face just happened to be buried in my stomach and I was controlling the body by controlling the head...

Old 09-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #1840
Derek Simonds

3 Sept 2010 Friday Lunch = Competition Class / Open Mat

Literally 25+ Purple belts and higher on the mat today. Grappled 2 times with a friend that ended up being about 25 minutes total time. Wow!!! I was focused on moving and not using strength unless I needed it. I am really focused on moving into a sub hitting it and moving on. Finished with a quick grapple with my buddy Chili who joined the forum yesterday. He is super strong and I had to go get back to work so unfortunately had to bow out.