Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #1871
Derek Simonds

21 September 2010 PM

D W/U
Foam Rolling
B W/U

PC + PJ 45 X 5, 95 X 5,4,3,2,1

Bench up to 200 X 3,3, 185 X 5
SDL up to 325 X 3

My head just wasn't into it and I think I was more tired from yesterdays lifting then I thought. 200 was just ridiculously hard on the bench. DL were easy and I was too distracted to put on the right amount of change so I threw on 2 X 25 lb'ers and lifted.

Made a decision not to miss the funeral and am flying out at 07:00 tomorrow. I am flying back late Thursday and Tracy leaves for Michigan to spend time with her brother on Thursday so we are passing in the air.

I am looking forward to a weekend with just me and the kids. We are going to wear under armor and make lots of messes!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #1872
Derek Simonds

Apparently with the funeral, travel and various other negative factors I Weavered myself good. I went to the doctor Saturday morning and hit the trifecta of upper respiratory infections. Bronchitis, sinusitis and an ear infection. Yeah me.

I went ahead and came up to the lake with the kids so at least they could have some fun this weekend with their cousins while I convalesced.

Big win for Auburn last night. Cam Newton is an incredible athlete. I took two naps plus slept 10 hours last night. I ate well and feel remarkably better today. I think I am still sick as all get out just not feeling like re-heated ass as I was yesterday.

Hoping to get somewhere to see the Tampa game and then to the house to continue to recover.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #1873
Kevin Perry

Sorry about everything Derek, hope you get better quick.

By the way, I watched that game, SC did really bad.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #1874
Derek Simonds

Thanks Kevin. I think that loss goes on Spurrier. Either Garcia was hurt a lot more than we know or Spurrier is a complete dink for pulling him. That freshman looked good but got absolutely man handled towards the end of the game.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #1875
Derek Simonds

29 October 2010

Last night I felt pretty decent so decided to do a recovery workout today. Only alloted 30 minutes for the workout to keep me honest.

Press 45 X 5,5,5, 75 X 5,5,5
BS 45 X 5,5,5 95 X 5, 135 X 5,5,5
P/U 3 X 5

I was trying to be nice and controlled with a good stretch at the bottom of the P/U's and I tweaked a muscle in my neck by slowly pushing over the bar at the top. That was irritating. I actually felt really strong this morning but kept myself from getting too ambitious. My neck will be fine it is just an irritant more than anything. Plus my back was extremely sore when I started so I think it was a combination of things.

Good to be in the gym this morning.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #1876
Dave Coughlin

Just catching up....

Sorry to hear about the loss in the family. Thanks for inspiring an introspective moment, as a result of your post. The McConnell family tragedy was a pretty poignant catalyst for me doing that same thing you mention, about telling others how much they mean to you.

Hope you're finally feeling better, colds/sinuses/etc in a house with kids has been a never-ending struggle for us.

How you liking the Sumo DL? Have you converted 100%? I still have never done it, outside of FGB or CF metcons; however, I am intrigued as to the extra poundage I could add to my 1RM DL.....
Dave Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #1877
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Sorry for your loss.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #1878
Derek Simonds

Thanks guys. Being there for my sister and her family was truly the most important thing I could have done.

in regards to Sumo DL'ing, I am all about it. I think that it just feels more natural to me the more I do it. Gant gave me some good tips and every time I DL I get more comfortable. I was setting up with my toes basically touching the wheels. After squishing my foot a couple of times putting the weight down I slid my feet in a little. Now I set up so that my shin is just a little outside of vertical when I grab the bar. That equates to about 2 to 3 inches in from the plates for my toes. That alone has made me feel even stronger. Play with it some and see how it feels. I know you are tall also. For me with my long arms it really shortens the lifting distance.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #1879
Derek Simonds

30 Sept Thursday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: I Planned on easing back into it. I went about half on the warmup and then was uke for Fabio. There was an even amount of guys so I decided to help anyone that was struggling. Fabio asked me to work with a guy who was in his second class. I did after takedowns. He was out of breath and kept saying I don't feel so good. I had him get some water and sit on the sides for 5 minutes. He came back did 2 more reps of the move we working and said I got to sit down again.

I kept an eye on him and worked with a couple of guys that were next to me. I looked over and he was sitting against the wall and his eyes rolled back in his head and his body shot out stiff as a board in a grand mal siezure. Dude was suspended with his head on the wall and feet on the floor at a 30 degree angle with nothing else touching.

I ran over and grabbed him and yelled for help to get him on his side. As soon as that was done I yelled for the front desk to call 911. Some of Dave's brethren at OFD were there within 7 minutes. Very professional people and did a great job getting him off to the hospital. All in under 25 minutes start to finish.

The guy had no ID in his bag and put his own cell number as the emergency contact number. That doesn't make a lot of sense. I hope he is good.

So needless to say that was the end of class and I wasn't staying for No-Gi so I packed up and went home.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #1880
Derek Simonds

1 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll

SDL 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5 X 3
Bench 45 X 10,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 4

All good on the lifts. I was coughing again this morning and that just perturbs me to no end. Laney woke up without her alarm at 6:00 so she was up and in the gym with me before Tracy and Jr got up. I finished my lifting as quick as possible so that her and I could go on a walk with the dogs together. Which we did and was awesome. I love spending time with her, she is growing so fast.